Sign in with
Your question

Help!!! Burnt out CPU??????

Last response: in CPUs
May 16, 2007 10:34:45 AM

hi there,

I've just installed the Intel e3600 cpu after replacing it with new Arctic Silver 5 Thermal paste. When I switch on the pc, I am only getting power on the mobo and ALL fans and the pc doesn't boot. I don't hear the BIOS bleep and it seems dead.

Is my CPU burnt out or something?

Please please help! :oops:  :( 

More about : burnt cpu

a b à CPUs
May 16, 2007 10:43:55 AM

Did you connect the 4pin 12V connector or 8pin whatever-its-called connector? I hadnt done this on my mobo, and I got the same symptoms as you.

finally not an "AMD sucks" thread
May 16, 2007 10:46:03 AM

I will double check if the CPU is orientated, although I used the ARROW in the corner to match the orientation on the mobo.

Lastly, I am getting power for DVD writer and keyboard, but the monitor doesn't switch on.
Related resources
May 16, 2007 10:54:48 AM

The cpu orientation is correct. I double-checked this with the mobo manual. I also checked if the PSU connectors were disconnected, but these are okay too.
May 16, 2007 10:56:18 AM

What MB and components are you using? Did you previously OC? Were you properly grounded during your build?
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2007 10:59:09 AM

Thanks for informing me.

*Beginning database update... Please get a cup of coffee and a nice book to read while the new data is uploaded to your memory banks.*
May 16, 2007 10:59:22 AM

This was overclocked, but I knocked it back down as I wanted to replace the old thermal paste with the new one. I took off the HSF and then took out the CPU and carefully cleaned it, making sure I don't touch the pins. I then replaced it with new arctic silver 5 paste (v.small blob spread across the head spreader).

After assembling, the above has happened.
May 16, 2007 11:06:45 AM

Since you had it OC then changed it to default, maybe perhaps you might have over looked a setting.

Have you tried resetting the bios by jumper?

Edit:

BTW was that a typo on the type of CPU you have? Is it a E6300 not E3600?

Edit:

:lol:  I had typo's on my comments.
May 16, 2007 11:12:08 AM

@ Grimmy - no mate, I haven't tried resetting the mobo jumper. Don't know how to do it, but will look at the Asus P5B (Standard) manual. If anyone knows how its done, please let me know.

Thank You
May 16, 2007 11:17:55 AM

The manual should definitely tell you how to reset it. You should put the time and date back once you get it started back up.

There should be jumpers near where the cmos battery sits. Basically you just put the jumper on certain pins to cut power to the cmos or bios chip which erases any remembered config settings done to the bios.

My dad's new build doesn't have a jumper, but actually a button to reset the bios, so not all MB are the same.
May 16, 2007 11:30:42 AM

okay tried resetting the CMOS. This hasn't made a difference though and the pc still powers up, but nothing else. Don't know what to do... :?
May 16, 2007 11:44:02 AM

the cables and everthing are fine mate.

I thought that the best way to solve a problem to do with heat issue is to remove the cpu and clean it.

So what does it sound like? video, ram, cpu or mobo?
May 16, 2007 11:49:09 AM

Are the socket pins okay? Check it again. You might be one of the few that managed to damage the socket pins on the motherboard while installing the cpu.

Next time, try not to remove the CPU from the socket when cleaning the old thermal compound. You can clean the cpu as it is attached to the mobo. Don't worry about the compounds that gets stuck in the sides. It won't harm the cpu.

I have replaced my AS5 several times since I assemble my current rig last Oct 2005 and never I have to remove the cpu unless I don't need it in that motherboard anymore.

Well so now all you can do is verify if it's the cpu or the other components that is causing the problem. I'm sure you still have to warranty on the E6300.
May 16, 2007 11:50:57 AM

I kinda fear the socket pins may have been bent. There really shouldn't be a reason for it not to boot up now, if it was fine before you took it apart to just reapply the AS5.

I'd re-check the socket to make sure all the pins are aligned properly.

It's actually kind of a fear I had when I built my dad's PC. Heh, when I was inspecting the MB, looking at the pins, I kept thinking to myself, man, what would I do if one or more of them pins get bent? 8O

Edit: :lol:  . o O (guess I'm not the only one thinking about the pins)
May 16, 2007 11:55:44 AM

Since you guys have reminded me, I did notice a few pins that are bent...i thought maybe some of these being bent is normal...does anyone have a pic of pins which should be bent?

thanks
May 16, 2007 11:56:45 AM

Ummm.. errr.. none should be bent. If there's a pin, it should be straight. :lol: 

Edit:

You know, kind of think of it.. I been trying to help folks on the home built sections on some C2D that don't boot up. I kinda wonder now about them.

Perhaps the socket pins, if bent, would be a certain/important thing to easy over look.
a c 114 à CPUs
May 16, 2007 12:18:39 PM

Quote:
Find the pins, short with a jumper, power up the system, spull the jumper off, reset Date and time in the Bios.
oh NOOOOOOOOOO! :o 

Don't do THIS. Never reset the CMOS jumper pin and power up without first removing the pin.

1) Remove the power cord;
2) Remove the battery;
3) Set the jumper to reset CMOS;
4) Wait . . . . . typically 20 seconds or so;
5) REMOVE THE JUMPER;
6) Replace the battery;
7) Reconnect power cord; and
8) Power up the box.
May 16, 2007 12:27:29 PM

Quote:
Since you guys have reminded me, I did notice a few pins that are bent...i thought maybe some of these being bent is normal...does anyone have a pic of pins which should be bent?

thanks

Had another thought, if you do have some bent pins, I recall a certain trick that is done on CPU pins that still could be done perhaps on the MB socket pins for the 775.

Try using those pencil that you put lead in. I just remembered I had a .5 mm pencil, took the lead out of it, and found my old P4 2.66 CPU. With the lead out of the pencil, the top of it fits good over the pin, so I think you might be in luck to try that trick on the bent pins in the socket.

GL.
May 16, 2007 12:37:18 PM

@ wisecracker - I just followed the mobo manual, which says that I:-

1. take out battery
2. move jumper from 1-2 pins to 2-3 for 10 seconds
3. now replace back to 1-2 pins
4. replace battery
5. switch on pc

I have taken 2 photos of the CPU pins that I'm suspicious about:-

What do you guys make of it? Can someone double check it on their 775 mobo please?
May 16, 2007 12:47:27 PM

Agreed. That was a nice pic of the socket. I can see 2 bent pins on that.

Though, I don't think it would be wise just to take my dad's system apart for a pic.

I did find this pic though, which shows the pins themselves:

775 pins

and here's another:

775 socket
May 16, 2007 1:04:14 PM

are you guys 100% sure that there should be no bent pins?? I remember one of the pins being bent, yet the cpu was still working.
May 16, 2007 1:13:03 PM

I'm pretty sure, sorry to say.

When I put my dad system together, I pretty much eyed different angles to see if any pins were misaligned. And all I recall is that I had very straight rows of pins.

Since your system was working, maybe that one pin wasn't bent enough to cause a problem. But seeing those 2 being bent, I'd have to say we are staring at the exact reason why it won't post.

Try using the pencil trick I mentioned.
May 16, 2007 1:15:48 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure, sorry to say.

When I put my dad system together, I pretty much eyed different angles to see if any pins were misaligned. And all I recall is that I had very straight rows of pins.

Since your system was working, maybe that one pin wasn't bent enough to cause a problem. But seeing those 2 being bent, I'd have to say we are staring at the exact reason why it won't post.

Try using the pencil trick I mentioned.

Ok grimmy mate, I will give it a try, although I'm not too keen on it. What if that isn't the problem and I end up burning out the CPU or mobo?
May 16, 2007 1:21:38 PM

All I can recommend is to try the best you can. If you do problem in not getting it straight, then I'd recommend to get an RMA on that MB.

If you can't get them straight, don't attempt to try to run it. Very hard to say what you could end up frying.
May 16, 2007 1:24:37 PM

Quote:
If the board came with a bent pin then it should have been returned right away.

I didn't realise that this was abnormal and also if the CPU worked fine, I assumed there was nothing wrong with the board.
a c 114 à CPUs
May 16, 2007 1:44:51 PM

Quote:
t doesn\t hurt the computer. All the pins do is cut power to the Cmos allowing it to reset itself. No harm will come by powering the system on with the jumper set.
mmmm . . . NO! :D 

At best by leaving the *clear CMOS* jumper pin engaged the CMOS would reset the computer to factory defaults at each boot. All BIOS changes would dumped from CMOS every time you restarted the box.

More likely would be no boot, a checksum fail or bad authentication id.

Most importantly, a motherboard can be damaged if the computer is powered on with the jumper in the discharge CMOS position.

Nice catch on the pins. Have a good day!
May 16, 2007 1:46:21 PM

Quote:
It may have been that the one pin was just a ground so you didn't have any issues. It's that second pin that is an important pin that is causing problems. Hope the mechanical pencil trick works for you. Be very carful though. The pins a delicate and can break fairly easily.

which 2nd pin are we talking about here? Shall I try to straighten all of the bent ones or just that 2nd pin?
May 16, 2007 1:48:33 PM

Both... try to get them lined up as close as possible. But if you can't, or break a pin, just get another MB. No need to create more headaches. :D 

EDIT:

I just noticed that there is either a strand of hair (thread of the carpet?) or wire near the right side inner corner. Make sure you get all debree out of the socket as well. Can of air should do the trick.
May 16, 2007 3:53:43 PM

Quote:
Both... try to get them lined up as close as possible. But if you can't, or break a pin, just get another MB. No need to create more headaches. :D 

EDIT:

I just noticed that there is either a strand of hair (thread of the carpet?) or wire near the right side inner corner. Make sure you get all debree out of the socket as well. Can of air should do the trick.

Thanks for letting me know grimmy..i've got rid of that wire. But I'm struggling to sort out the pins. They seem to be lapping over each other. I'm not sure if the pins might have totally broken. Here are a few closeups of the damaged pins:-

Top pin closeup 1:

Top pin closeup 2:

Bottom pin closeup 1:

Bottom pin closeup 2:

Getting a new mobo is not an option at the moment as firstly I was on a very tight budget when i bought parts for this pc and secondly we can't be 100% sure that its a faulty mobo
May 16, 2007 4:03:55 PM

Oooph... man thats looking a bit hairy. I'm kinda gritting my teeth. That was one of the fears or thoughts going through my head when I first stared at the socket array when I got my dad's system, wondering what I'd do if I accidentally bent one of them.

I dunno.. if you can RMA that MB, try, or just bite the bullet and get another one.

Or if your sure you can bend it back, it might be okay, but that looks bent out of shape.

Edit:

This video, is prolly one thing everyone should see, who has never put a 775 socket system together:

Intel - Installing CPU

Kinda sorry if you never saw it.
May 16, 2007 4:17:54 PM

Quote:
Oooph... man thats looking a bit hairy. I'm kinda gritting my teeth. That was one of the fears or thoughts going through my head when I first stared at the socket array when I got my dad's system, wondering what I'd do if I accidentally bent one of them.

I dunno.. if you can RMA that MB, try, or just bite the bullet and get another one.

Or if your sure you can bend it back, it might be okay, but that looks bent out of shape.

A good friend of mine has offered to test the CPU, RAM and Graphics card, so that we can eliminate these from the problem...will be going over hopefully at 6pm (GMT) and will let you guys know the outcome later in the evening. Till then, if anyone can help or advice on repairing these pins, I will be so much grateful.

Thanks!
May 16, 2007 4:53:24 PM

GL on that. I'm guessing the CPU/RAM should be okay, as well as the video card.

The video I linked, if you watch it, does tell you to reject the MB if it has any signs of bent pins.

Tried to edit it sooner, but it seems I'm having some connectivity problems.
May 16, 2007 8:13:24 PM

Quote:

The video I linked, if you watch it, does tell you to reject the MB if it has any signs of bent pins.

Thank you for that link...its very interesting...although a little to late though :cry: 

Anyway I went down to my friends and the CPU, memory and Graphics Card are fine, so yes its the motherboard. :cry: 

I'm still not gonna give up on this. I will order the mobo and till it arrives, I'm gonna mess about with the pins on this one instead to see if i can fix it.
May 16, 2007 9:07:45 PM

Quote:

Thank you for that link...its very interesting...although a little to late though :cry: 

Anyway I went down to my friends and the CPU, memory and Graphics Card are fine, so yes its the motherboard. :cry: 

I'm still not gonna give up on this. I will order the mobo and till it arrives, I'm gonna mess about with the pins on this one instead to see if i can fix it.

8O Oh NO!! I've tried sorting the pins out and after having a go at straightening them, I decided to connect the pc to see if i had solved the problem.

Instead of some power, now I get absolutely no power...NOTHING AT ALL!! Have I killed the PSU too? or is it just the mobo?

Just to clarify, I have connected everything correctly, such as power ATX cables and 4-pin connector. There is no led light as before on the mobo. :oops: 
May 17, 2007 5:28:40 AM

Do you have a warranty on your MB? If so, then RMA. If not youll have to buy another outright. Don't try assembling with bad/bent pins or you might end up damaging your CPU.
May 17, 2007 7:05:23 AM

Quote:

8O Oh NO!! I've tried sorting the pins out and after having a go at straightening them, I decided to connect the pc to see if i had solved the problem.

Instead of some power, now I get absolutely no power...NOTHING AT ALL!! Have I killed the PSU too? or is it just the mobo?

Just to clarify, I have connected everything correctly, such as power ATX cables and 4-pin connector. There is no led light as before on the mobo. :oops: 

Good Gawd man... STOP! :lol: 

Just get another MB. I guess you can't RMA it for a replacement? Not sure what you can do in the UK.. I guess your over seas from where I'm at.

You can try this trick to see if you PSU is okay:

Tutorials | Turn on PSU without motherboard - the 'paperclip trick'

Basically, you want the PSU switch turned off. Then you connect the black and green wires on the 24 pin molex together, then switch it on, and the PSU should come on. Then switch it off. I ended up using a regular wire, like what the PSU uses for your molex connectors, instead of a paper clip to test my older 20 pin PSU.
May 17, 2007 10:08:37 AM

I've had all these before, well just not on a core2.

I have used the cmos reset jumper with the psu plugged in, i have even tried to switch the pc on with it still in the clear position. Nothing happens, the pc doesn't get power, which might be the problem Ripperuk is facing right now, just check to make sure the cmos jumper is back to 1-2 not 2-3. No problems with my pc that this could be linked to, and i've used this jumper many Many times.

My mom bought a pc recently : a celeron.
I put the pc together myself. After taking it apart and putting my cpu in I noticed 3 bentish pins. My p4 seemed to be giving weird problems, but that was probably to do with not formating windows and just randomly putting in about 6 new parts the pc didn't recognize. After putting the celeron back in I noticed that the pins seemed straight again?

Atleast you know now that your cpu,ram, and gpu are all fine. If you could try another 775cpu in your mobo(with different ram) then you would be able to tell for sure.
May 17, 2007 1:31:37 PM

Quote:
I've had all these before, well just not on a core2.

I have used the cmos reset jumper with the psu plugged in, i have even tried to switch the pc on with it still in the clear position. Nothing happens, the pc doesn't get power, which might be the problem Ripperuk is facing right now, just check to make sure the cmos jumper is back to 1-2 not 2-3. No problems with my pc that this could be linked to, and i've used this jumper many Many times.

My mom bought a pc recently : a celeron.
I put the pc together myself. After taking it apart and putting my cpu in I noticed 3 bentish pins. My p4 seemed to be giving weird problems, but that was probably to do with not formating windows and just randomly putting in about 6 new parts the pc didn't recognize. After putting the celeron back in I noticed that the pins seemed straight again?

Atleast you know now that your cpu,ram, and gpu are all fine. If you could try another 775cpu in your mobo(with different ram) then you would be able to tell for sure.

I'm guessing you are just doing a general reply, but just in case your not, let me fill you in on his situation a lil better.

As far as having the jumper to clear the bios out, it could prevent the system from powering up, but that wouldn't be for all brands of mother boards.

First off, he is using a 775 socket system. So the pins are on the mother board socket. So the pins are not on the bottom of the CPU.

Here's a pic of the bottom of a 775 socket CPU:

Back side of Core 2 Duo

And if you look closer at the pictures he provided, the pins are basically an upside down V shape. To bend those back perfectly, I'd say be very hard to do, even with the mechanical pencil I'm afraid, and will prolly break if bent too much.

Now the pins on the underside of your moms celeron, which I'm thinking its a 478 CPU, the pins would be easier to straighten out.

I think the best thing for him is to get another mother board, before anything worse can happen. Hopefully there is nothing wrong with any other component that he has, besides the mother board.

I hope you understand how fragile the pins are on a 775 socket mother board.
May 17, 2007 6:24:55 PM

Thanks for all your advice guys, but there is no need for it!!! I took the mobo down to the shop and the technical support spotted the damaged pins immediately. They instantly stated that since its physically damaged and its been over 2 weeks since i bought it, they can't take it back, blah blah..

After a good argument, the guy said he'll go and test it and look if the pins are a problem. I waited a good 10mins and he comes back out saying the "mobo is fine and working perfect!!" He still added that even though its working they can't accept it back as its physically damaged.

There was no point arguing and i bought it back home. I rebuilt the whole system and there it was, working once again. I think he went inside and straightened the pins, hence fixing the short in the mobo. I checked them and they look almost the same as the rest, so he must have done something to the pins.

Anyway, I'm happy that my system is working once again :D 

But thank you again for all your help!

Anyway guys, I'd be grateful if you could jump to the following thread to help me on the original issue, which caused me so much hassle in the first place:-

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...
May 21, 2007 7:43:49 AM

Grimmy : I know what i was talking about, like I said, my mom bought the celeron recently, its a 775 socket with the pins on the mobo. The pins looked bent on the mobo, not the cpu.
!