Sign in with
Your question

New build...various questions

Last response: in Systems
May 16, 2007 12:35:44 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to make myself a new PC with the following parts. Please share your ideas with me on how I can make this system even better.

CPU: Trying to choose between an E6600 and QX6700
HSF: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (if I can find one) or just Ultra 120
Fan: Scythe Minebea 120mm 1900rpm, 73 cfm
Mob: Asus Striker Extreme
RAM: Mushkin 2x2GB DDR2-800 4-3-3-10 @ 2.25V
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 x 2 RAID 1
DVD: 20x Liteon Lightscribe SATA Dual Layer DVD +-R, DVD-RAM
Vid: MSI NX8800GTX OC 610 Core, 2000 Mem x 2 in SLi
LCD: Dell 3007WFP-HC
Aud: Sound Blaster XFi Fatal1ty
CHA: Coolermaster Stacker 830
PSU: Coolermaster 850W Real Power
Fan: A few extra Scythe Minebea 120mm 1900rpm for the case
CON: FrozenCPU 6x PWM Fan Controller

I've already got the case and the PSU, so no changes can be made there. The rest of the bits I still have to get.

I've already run a couple of E6600s to 3.0GHz (with stock cooling) for my parents' PCs and I know these chips can clock higher with a better cooler like the Ultra 120 X. I don't really want to bother with liquid cooling, tbh.

The question is, should I plonk for the QX6700 and try to get the best possible overclock at around 400FSB (to max. out my Memory)? Also, I don't suppose there will be much gain from going to DDR2-1066 or higher with a C2D, unless I can get the FSB significantly over 400 (closer to 500)? Is this correct?

I would have liked to get four 500GB hard drives and run a RAID 0+1 set-up, but I've read that the 680i RAID 0 performance is stuck at around 100-110 mb/sec max or thereabouts, so this makes me think I may be better off with two 7K1000s in RAID 1. It's more expensive, I know, but less likelihood of failure and probably lower power consumption as well.

Video cards I've picked a couple of OC'd 8800GTXs, these should ensure that a 30" Dell gets the frame rates for smooth gaming with all the bells and whistles on. I toyed with the idea of 8800 Ultras, but with only 10% higher core speed, I don't see the point in spending 50% more tbh.

Lastly, and this is perhaps the one area I am least sure about things...is 64bit Visa Ultimate ready for gamers yet? I hear there are SLi issues with 64bit and other horror stories. If it's better that I stick with 32bit, I guess I will drop 2GB of RAM and stick with 2GB of Corsair's 6400C3DF RAM. Does anyone know if the Dominator fan will fit with a Ultra 120 Extreme and a Scythe fan?

If you've read this far, thanks a lot for your patience and time. I'd appreciate any suggestions you have. Thanks.

More about : build questions

May 18, 2007 3:25:58 PM

No suggestions from anyone? :( 

Tbh, I'm now wondering whether I should just go with the Dell 2407-WFP instead of the 30" and also get just one 8800GTX, since that will be more than adequate for gaming at 1900x1200 with all the bells and whistles.

My major concern with the 30" is that it'll be like a game of tennis for me. I will only be sitting around 1.5 - 2 ft. back from the screen at max.

I'm also wondering whether I'd just be best with Vista 32bit and 2x1GB DDR2-800 or DDR2-1066 sticks, instead of trying to make a go of 64bit Vista.

Anyone know if today's games like AOE3, Civ4, C&C3 work on Vista 64 bit?
May 18, 2007 3:36:51 PM

ok, comments on your list
E6600 is a good CPU, should hit 3.7 with good cooler
RAM go with 2GB for now
get a 24" monitor(or2 :)  )
Get Vista Ultimate and Dual Boot
Still open on the RAID, Why not get the 4x500? Get speed and safety
Related resources
May 18, 2007 3:49:05 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply. The current E6600s are not overclocking that high, which is why I'm wondering whether I should get the QX6700. The E6600 I put in my mum's 650i Asus mobo won't go much over 3GHz with stock cooling. That's a decent oc considering it's stock cool, but I don't think the issue is heat related, it just won't boot at much over 3.05 GHz. So I think the new E6600s are not going anywhere near the crazy ocs that the older E6600s were capable of.

As for the RAID story, I may go 0+1, let's see. As for the screen, I'm just looking for one screen, not two, so the question is...is the 30" too big (and do you end-up moving your head from side-to-side using one)?

The way I see it, I could save the money on the second vid card and bigger screen and just get the QX6700 instead.
May 18, 2007 4:28:12 PM

Quote:

... wondering whether I should just go with the Dell 2407-WFP instead of the 30" and also get just one 8800GTX...

My major concern with the 30" is that it'll be like a game of tennis for me. I will only be sitting around 1.5 - 2 ft. back from the screen at max.

I'm also wondering whether I'd just be best with Vista 32bit and 2x1GB DDR2-800 or DDR2-1066 sticks, instead of trying to make a go of 64bit Vista.

I don't get to help out much around here, because I usually do not know enough. However, monitors I can help with. This is my experience, and just an opinion, however I've worked and played with both. (thankfully not on my dying 6 year old Dell)

The 30" is too big for gaming at a standard desk setting. You are right about the "tennis" analogy, with a 30 incher you have a lot of screen that is outside your field of view when looking straight ahead. That said, it is a very immersive experience, as most of your periferal vision is taken up by the game. But to get detail on the edges you will be moving your head, not just your eyes. If you are doing any designing/developing/video work/etc the 30" will be greatly welcomed.

Gaming on a 24" screen is still quite immersive, but the full screen can be viewed with eye movement alone (once you get used to it). That Dell 24" is a fantastic screen, and aside from size, superior to the 30".

As for Vista64, I don't think those games run natively at 64 bit. At this point, very little does. And since even the next Windows incarnation will likely have a 32 bti version, it may be a while before 64 bit is mainstream. (I could be wrong on this one.)
May 19, 2007 11:55:28 PM

Thanks for the monitor suggestions. I don't do much FPS at all, and frankly I don't think I'll be doing too many racing games and the like on my new rig, since my 360 takes care of that, so I'm not too concerned about the 30" being a slower screen than the 24", just worried that it may be too big. Well, I guess I need to try and see one in action before I decide for sure.

Any idea if there's a Dell display store anywhere in NYC?
!