Sign in with
Your question

Whatever people are saying about the HD2900XT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 16, 2007 1:12:36 PM

Whatever people are saying about the HD2900XT... You just know that it will rock when it comes to folding@home.

A single crossfire rig is going to be able to post over 1Tflop, man this is super computer type power from only 10 years ago - http://www.sandia.gov/ASCI/Red/ - this amount of power!!!!!

More about : people hd2900xt

a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2007 7:19:20 PM

I think they are gonna get better with time/newer drivers.
May 16, 2007 9:50:12 PM

Right. Because there are thousands of people lined up to by two 2900XT's just so they can process more folding@home crapola. And is it just me or has that project wasted more energy, time, and cycles all for nothing? It's a bit like seti@home: useless.
Related resources
Anonymous
May 16, 2007 10:17:21 PM

well for your information. 2900T does 496 gflops and 8800GTX does 520 gflops by the time it starts to rock. nvidia 8900 series will already by rocking
May 16, 2007 10:17:27 PM

SETI@home seems to be a waste, there's been no proven lifeforms outside of earth. However, folding@home may prove useful in understanding why protiens misfold, and help direct scientists and doctors to develop means to prevent it from happening, or drug therapy's which will slow diseases like alzheimer's.
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2007 1:36:51 AM

Quote:
there's been no proven lifeforms outside of earth.

I some times wonder if there are any proven/intelligent
lifeforms on earth. :lol: 
May 17, 2007 1:38:51 AM

I don't get how the 2900xt has all the better numbers (i.e. shader operations, mem etc) Yet how come its not beating the 8800gtx? Hell it even has a better price. I don't get it. It must be the drivers, then again I already got a 8800gtx so I'm happy =P (except for nvidia's drivers)
May 17, 2007 2:02:55 AM

Quote:
I don't get how the 2900xt has all the better numbers (i.e. shader operations, mem etc) Yet how come its not beating the 8800gtx? Hell it even has a better price. I don't get it. It must be the drivers, then again I already got a 8800gtx so I'm happy =P (except for nvidia's drivers)

i believe the gtx's shaders r clocked twice of what the 2900xt's shaders r. i guess when they start using 65nm the temp will drop and they can clock em higher and improve some of the things.
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2007 3:11:13 AM

They already have the base F@H client working for the HD2900XT (not released to public yet, but soon), mhouston from the F@H dev team at stanford said about the performance;

Performance-wise, the 2900XT is 2.2X faster than R580 for the force calculation, but the surrounding kernels and the interaction with the CPU currently limit the speed up to 45% faster for the full client.
http://forum.folding-community.org/fpost185371.html#185...

So it's looking good for F@H.
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2007 3:13:52 AM

Quote:
well for your information. 2900T does 496 gflops and 8800GTX does 520 gflops by the time it starts to rock.

Just for your information, that's not achieveable on the stock G80Ultra even.

First, not even the GF8800Ultra can break 500gFlops despite everyone & nVidia promoting the 520 number by adding 100% efficiency of the extra MUL.

This has been known since launch;
http://www.beyond3d.com/content/reviews/1/11

Only with recent drivers have they broken 400Gflops, now into 470Gflops on 158s, but only in shader apps, not general stream computing, in order to break 500Gflops they needed to overclock the G80.

Quote:
nvidia 8900 series will already by rocking

Will they even have a F@H client for the G80 family by then? Still nothing right now, so for James' situation it may still not be doing much yet.
May 17, 2007 3:46:50 AM

Yes F@H should become the defacto benchmark for all new graphics cards, screw the rest.
We all buy $400+ cards to fold, isn't that what they are designed for?
May 17, 2007 3:54:02 AM

Quote:

There must be intelligent lifeforms on earth. I have an old Star Trek bookmarker that reads "1997-Klingons discover signs of intelligent life on earth". Of course, the whales had the intelligence not to get involved.
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2007 4:04:48 AM

Hey some people like to use their computers down-time to fold (or search for ETs), how's that any less valid than 3Dmark for the people who try to boost their Bungholiomarks?

At least F@H is a positive contribution, even if the tangible results aren't that apparent;
http://folding.stanford.edu/results.html

I think the idea that we shouldn't bother because we haven't had any earth shattering results yet on SETI or F@H is a pretty sad comment, and speaks to the Great One's sentiment that 'You'all always miss 100% off the shots you don't take'.

If F@H with an mobile HD2600 can get me a simple work unit done in about 1-2 hours, I might start folding again on my laptops while I surf, the power increase will be marginal, and at least I can be sure of no fan failure etc while I'm surfing. I still wouldn't trust it while I sleep, but if it can cut down a WU time signficantly, then I'd feel I could get something else done while 70% of it was idle while I surf.
May 17, 2007 4:20:15 AM

You must have missed the sarcasm of my last post.
I am in no way bashing F@H, I think it's great. I do not think F@H should be used to "bench" graphics cards. If F@H performance = good GPUs/CPUs than the PS3 really is a "supercomputer" (we alll know it isn't)
May 17, 2007 4:22:40 AM

I have my HD2900xt and it's great. I also know some registry tweaks, I'm almost to 13,500 in 3dmark06. Seriously, this card is going to end up being just as powerful as a GTX, at least until you get way up in resolution, but hell I'm not dropping that kind of cash for a monitor!
May 17, 2007 4:30:17 AM

Quote:

There must be intelligent lifeforms on earth. I have an old Star Trek bookmarker that reads "1997-Klingons discover signs of intelligent life on earth". Of course, the whales had the intelligence not to get involved.

Damn whales, they betrayed us.
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2007 4:41:10 AM

Quote:
You must have missed the sarcasm of my last post.

I caught it, but obviously missed the gist of it.
It seemed more of a 'who cares' sarcastic remark, and so if I misread it, that's my fault, and also the fault of the lack of sarcasm enhancers on the wbe.

Quote:
I am in no way bashing F@H, I think it's great. I do not think F@H should be used to "bench" graphics cards. If F@H performance = good GPUs/CPUs than the PS3 really is a "supercomputer" (we alll know it isn't)

Well I think it depends on your view of it, both ATi and nV are also pushing these a GPGPUs / StreamProcessors, and with regards to the PS3, you know that the X1950XT outperforms the PS3 already, eh? The HD2900 with that 43% boost should destroy the PS3 even more. The thing that made me laugh the other day was the InQ article about M$' missed opportunity with regards to F@H vis-a-vis the PS3;
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39508

While I understand for most people this is meaningless at best, and BS PR at worst, look at my F@H results in the Tom's team list from the time I still had my deskops, and you'll see I'm genuine about my interest, but I agree it's still not going to be a deal breaker or focus point for me, just a nice bonus (like a fingerprint reader).

And unlike the lack of support for the X1600 series, they are already talking about it for the HD2400 and HD2600 in that F@H thread above I linked to, so it's got me interested, especially since I'm already intrigued by a few aspect of the mobile version of the HD2600 already, I just hope it comes in something other than the HP Dragon and desktop replacements.
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2007 4:45:25 AM

Quote:

I'm still waiting for my transparent aluminium at my Rona / Home Despot.
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2007 4:47:39 AM

Wonder how fast the cpu,s were on the enterprise? 8O
50ghz? :lol: 
May 17, 2007 4:51:37 AM

50ghz seems a little slow, more like 50thz centicores :lol: 
May 17, 2007 4:54:47 AM

Quote:

I'm still waiting for my transparent aluminium at my Rona / Home Despot.

It's there but nobody can find it.
May 17, 2007 5:12:48 AM

Quote:
I have my HD2900xt and it's great. I also know some registry tweaks, I'm almost to 13,500 in 3dmark06. Seriously, this card is going to end up being just as powerful as a GTX, at least until you get way up in resolution, but hell I'm not dropping that kind of cash for a monitor!
And what monitor do you have?
Anonymous
May 17, 2007 10:53:56 AM

oh yes it only ATI hardware is good. Nvidia is crap. ALL these threads are filled with ATI morons
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2007 10:56:29 AM

The GTX and the overpriced Ultra are the 2 best cards made today
May 17, 2007 11:06:41 AM

Yep, their is no real DX10 games out their at the moment so the main reason I want one is to play oblivion and improve my Foldoing @home. I think Toms hardware needs some more articles on how well the different cars perform at F@H.
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2007 11:12:08 AM

I agree. Theres a large chunk of us regular and not so regular posters who fold. Id like a 45% increase in my numbers!!. If anyone here has or had someone they know with a illness, and if F&H does just one thing to help, then its all been worth it. Giving is a big part of our lives, no matter where we are in our lives, and folding to me is one noble effort
May 17, 2007 12:00:02 PM

Quote:
Yep, their is no real DX10 games out their at the moment so the main reason I want one is to play oblivion and improve my Foldoing @home. I think Toms hardware needs some more articles on how well the different cars perform at F@H.
Well technically the Lost Planet Direct X10 demo is available, but you're basically right. I wouldn't make a video card purchase based on F@H, but I suppose it is a bonus if you're already stuck between the 8800GTS and HD 2900XT.
May 17, 2007 12:19:14 PM

Quote:

This is about Data, but I'll assume they have computer on par with him. Though this will be higher then The Original Series Systems

Data was built with an ultimate storage capacity of 800 quadrillion bits (93,132,257.46 gigabytes or 88.82 petabytes). At the onset, Data was constructed with a total linear computational speed rated at 60 trillion floating point operations per second (TFLOPS).[3] However, through bidirectional sequencing (which compensates for signal degradation) and conversion of his main interlink sequencer to asynchronous operation, Data's computational speed was later no longer limited by the physical separation of his positronic links and, thus, became effectively unlimited

More TNG stuff, not much of the TOS computers

The main computer system of the Galaxy class Starship, as launched in the early 2360's, comprised three redundant computer cores. Each core was a ten story structure which had 2,048 dedicated storage modules containing 144 isolinear chips - a total of 294,912 chips per core. At 2.15 kiloquads per chip this gave a total storage capacity of 634,060.8 kiloquads per core, making the system one of the most powerful mobile computers in service. The Library Computer Access and Retrieval System user interface is widely used in Starfleet, and allows the core memory to be accessed at 4,600 kiloquads per second. Accessing the entire memory of a core can therefore be done in under 2.5 minutes
May 17, 2007 1:07:43 PM

Quote:
well for your information. 2900T does 496 gflops and 8800GTX does 520 gflops by the time it starts to rock. nvidia 8900 series will already by rocking

isnt the 2900XT 480 gflops while the 8800GTX is 320?
the ultra should be around 390-400...
*edit*
too late, ape already tossed the correct values D:
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2007 2:58:01 PM

Quote:
oh yes it only ATI hardware is good. Nvidia is crap. ALL these threads are filled with ATI morons

Yo boy, don't get all prissy because I post the facts while you blow your horn for a product not well suited for the task talked about in this thread.

Did I say nVidia is crap? No, but I also didn't post crap like you did about a GPU 'rockin', my statements are supported (or did you manage to make a F@H client for the G80 on your own?) , so the only moron in this thread may be you, and personally I don't care what colour badge you wear it still makes you a moron.

Now run along little boy, the adults are talking math and science, we'll let you know when the Bungholiomark thread starts up again. :tongue:
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2007 5:23:36 PM

Quote:

yeah 50ghz for the tricorders. :lol: 
May 17, 2007 6:01:55 PM

Too bad I could probably tell you exactly which episodes you got that information from... :oops: 
Anonymous
May 17, 2007 7:36:03 PM

yeah adult brain washed great ape . keep on doing i don't like to disturb idiot like you. :roll: and your f ucking a ss hole your calling me a little boy what the hell you think you are bitch. and i also post the facts to0 read the post again moron
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2007 10:58:00 PM

Quote:
yeah adult brain washed great ape . keep on doing i don't like to disturb idiot like you. :roll: and your f ucking a ss hole your calling me a little boy what the hell you think you are bitch. and i also post the facts to0 read the post again moron

Read my reply again, your 'fact' is not a 'fact' when even nV can't get anywhere near 520Gflops out of the G80 without overclocking it past the 8800Ultra, and two can play the overclocking game.

Perhaps if you knew more about the design you'd understand why the G80 doesn't achieve the high numbers you regurgitate, and out of the two figures the R600 get closer to it's theoretical max because it can do nearer 100% efficiency, while the G80's inefficient 'missing MUL' keeps it far from it's theoretical max.

And if you don't want to be called a little boy, then don't contribute a post fudged number and about a 'rockin' yet to be released part in a thread involving real numbers.

No run along little man, and do some research before returning. :roll:
Anonymous
May 17, 2007 11:44:08 PM

well i have to say old fart. i forgot you designed R600.
May 18, 2007 12:26:32 AM

Quote:

Very eloquently put... :roll: Just remember, the next time you want to join big people discussions, use your big boy voice. :lol: 
May 18, 2007 12:27:24 AM

Quote:

Just ignore APE. His lil pussy is just hurtin him right now because the R600 didn't dethrone Nvidia like he and all the other lil douchbag ATI fanboy clowns thought it would :roll:
May 18, 2007 12:30:07 AM

Quote:

Just ignore APE. His lil pussy is just hurtin him right now because the R600 didn't dethrone Nvidia like he and all the other lil douchbag ATI fanboy clowns thought it would :roll:

Speaking of a lil pussy...look who's back. :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
May 18, 2007 12:55:51 AM

Quote:

So ROB, are you saying agreeing with hangnail's statement about the Gflop performance?

Nice to see you align yourself with those who know less about the G80 than those your criticise for not owning one. I'd hate to think you own 2 and don't know anything about them after all your bluster.

Quote:

Nah, that's for people smarter than me; but at least I can appreciate the design and their published comments on it, whereas you on the other hand don't seem to be able to read well enough to support your own argument.

I'll assume by the above statement that even you can't support your own 'facts' with anything more than that lame-assed comeback. :roll:

Good thing ROB's got your back, he's obviously more knowledgeable about the architecture than you based on his contribution. :p 

The two of you make a great pair.
May 18, 2007 1:00:19 AM

Quote:

So ROB, are you saying agreeing with hangnail's statement about the Gflop performance?

Nice to see you align yourself with those who know less about the G80 than those your criticise for not owning one. I'd hate to think you own 2 and don't know anything about them after all your bluster.

Quote:

Nah, that's for people smarter than me; but at least I can appreciate the design and their published comments on it, whereas you on the other hand don't seem to be able to read well enough to support your own argument.

I'll assume by the above statement that even you can't support your own 'facts' with anything more than that lame-assed comeback. :roll:

Good thing ROB's got your back, he's obviously more knowledgeable about the architecture than you based on his contribution. :roll:

Oh blah blah blah..........whahhh whah whah.........LOOK AT ME! I always have to write a GREAT WALL OF TEXT post just to try to get my point across. :roll:

Actually APE has his reasons for doing this, He does it because he hopes that by the time you get through spending 20mins reading all his gibberish that you will forget about what the original argument was based on to begin with since he knows he is always wrong anyway.
May 18, 2007 1:10:05 AM

Pull your head out of your own ass and be a big boy and admit you are wrong for once, is it so hard? Is it so hard to admit that someone might actually know something compared to your inadequate knowledge? Well inadequate might be a bit of a compliment.

Tuck tail between your legs and get off these forums, they are reserved for people who have a maturity level above an eight year old.
a b U Graphics card
May 18, 2007 1:14:26 AM

Quote:

Oh blah blah blah..........whahhh whah whah.........LOOK AT ME! I always have to write a GREAT WALL OF TEXT post just to try to get my point across. :roll:

'Great Wall of Text'?
It's two posts combined, and since it's so hard for you, here's the simple breakdown for you to answer, which I know you won't cause you're the only pussy here;

So ROB, are you saying the G80 is anywhere near reaching hangnail's 520 Gflops at stock speed compared to simply being equal to the HD2900XT at stock speed?

Simple question; yes or no answer will do fine thanks.

Or are you a wus?
May 18, 2007 2:04:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Good thing ROB's got your back, he's obviously more knowledgeable about the architecture than you based on his contribution. :roll:

Actually APE has his reasons for doing this, He does it because he hopes that by the time you get through spending 20mins reading all his gibberish that you will forget about what the original argument was based on to begin with since he knows he is always wrong anyway.

considering how you always want to be on top, "be right" at all costs and tossing insults to anyone who treatens your "puppies, the 8800GTX SLI", id say you suffer serius physological problems.. maybe ASSBURGERS aka Asspergers's syndrome.

sorry rob, but you're not better than random attention whores of youtube.com and myspace.com who get naked just to see if people pay attention at them.
the diference is, you wave your videocards, (maybe that means your body is horrible? XD )
May 18, 2007 3:26:15 AM

Quote:
considering how you always want to be on top, "be right" at all costs and tossing insults to anyone who treatens your "puppies, the 8800GTX SLI", id say you suffer serius physological problems.. maybe ASSBURGERS aka Asspergers's syndrome.

sorry rob, but you're not better than random attention whores of youtube.com and myspace.com who get naked just to see if people pay attention at them.
the diference is, you wave your videocards, (maybe that means your body is horrible? XD )

NO!!!! Please don't question Rob's body or he'll post that picture of himself in the pool again for the 873rd time!
May 18, 2007 3:34:45 AM

I really don't need to see that... ignorance is bliss. :D 
May 18, 2007 6:10:08 AM

Quote:
Good thing ROB's got your back, he's obviously more knowledgeable about the architecture than you based on his contribution. :p 

lol - Nvidia fanboys in SLI :) 
May 18, 2007 6:35:41 AM

Quote:

lol - Nvidia fanboys in SLI :) 

ROFLMAO... nicely played.

Abyss: 1
Grape: 1
n00bs in sli: -2

Wonder if they understand the math.... 8O
May 18, 2007 6:51:06 AM

It's doubtful
!