Computer crashes driving me crazy... Please help!

I wasn't really sure where to post this, I couldn't find a section for help/troubleshooting specifically. When I run either World of

Warcraft or Age of Conan on my computer I sometimes have random crashes in which a blue screen with technical information appears and my

computer restarts. I typed out the information and I believe it is verbatim. I included all of it just in case.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval. If this is the first time you've seen

this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed . If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software

manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If the problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or

shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup

options and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000101 (0x00000061, 0x00000000, 0x803D1120, 0x00000001)

Collecting data for crash dump ...
Initializing disk for crash dump ...
Beginning dump of physical memory.
Dumping physical memory to disk: 100
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance.

I'm have no degree in computer science just very little common sense. To date I have; made sure all of my drivers are up to date,

especially my video drivers. I have also updated the bios on my board. I built this machine from the ground up and it was all assembled

at once so I'm not really sure which component to point my finger at. I also tried formatting my hard drive and a clean install but that

did not My system has an AMD x2 6000, 4gb DDR2 800, 2x 8600 GTS Superclocked in SLI and I'm running Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium which

is completely updated.

Someone please HELP ME! This is driving me nuts. Again I'm not very computer smart but I'm capable of following directions. HELP ME

please. If you need any more information to troubleshoot this just reply to my post and I will follow up. Thanks everyone!
12 answers Last reply
More about computer crashes driving crazy help
  1. Is this a new problem? In other words have you ever run those games without problems on this equipment?

Only during these games but not in others?

How often does this happen?

You might try running it with one video card only. If you have no crashes this would narrow things down a bit.

What make/model PSU?

four sticks of RAM or two?

Are you sure the RAM is set to mfg spec voltage and timings? If you are using four sticks try relaxing the timings.
  2. Old problem, has been in existence since this computer setup.

Only during these games that I've noticed. I've played some COD4 and some CounterStrike Source and those have always run fine.

The issue is quite intermittent, sometimes it will happen 5-10 minutes after reboot and sometimes it will play without trouble for half a day of gaming.

I have tried disabling SLI in the NVidia control panel but have not physically removed 1 card. Should I?

I have a 700 watt Thermaltake Toughpower.

Thanks for for the quick reply dude. Looking forward to what you have to say...
  3. I don't run SLI myself but I have heard that there are still some issues with Vista, SLI and some games - occasional/intermittent driver crashes. Someone with more SLI experience could guide you more on that one.

Since the system seems very stable doing everything else, including some 3d games, I tend to suspect driver issues but that is just a guess.

I suppose disabling SLI is more or less the same as taking out a card but you might try taking it out and see what happens. I guess it still draws power as long as it is plugged in. That Toughpower might possibly be getting taxed a bit. How much did it sell for BTW. Last I checked Thermaltake didn't really produce PSUs in the upper quality tiers, IIRC.
  4. The PSU is about $170. I like it a lot, it's modular and has the cable sleeving. Even on a hot summer day I can put my hand behind where it vents and the air feels pretty cool.

I've been thinking maybe it would be worthwhile to upgrade my board. Maybe that would help with SLI. I have the Nforce 570 chipset right now, maybe it's time to step up to 780i.

Thanks for the info you could give me, appreciate it.
  5. $170 eh? The ones I saw listed were more like $79. So I'm thinking they have upgraded the quality, I guess, if they are getting that much.

I'd try a WoW or Conan group and see if anyone else is getting this with Vista/Nvidia. And hopefully others here may still chime in with other suggestions.

Just an idea:

If you are running four sticks of RAM try taking two of them out and see if you still get the problem. Most MOBO's have a little trouble filling all four slots and it is often the case that the speed/timings need to be taken back a notch to get all four stable.
  6. I have two sticks out now. No problems yet but I really haven't played enough to give it an opportunity to mess up. Will keep you posted...
  7. It's been 9 days of fairly solid gaming now and no crashes. I'm overjoyed. I can't believe the fix was so simple. I run the game at maxed settings and usually get around 60+ fps but now sometimes the game will be laggy. At least it doesn't crash. I'm not sure if this is because Vista is a resource hog or because I have another issue to seek and destroy.

Happy for now... Thanks a lot notherdude.
  8. Game runs fine on a single 8800GT as well... I still haven't decided if I'll take the plunge into SLI or not.
  9. OH MAN WHAT A BUMMER>!!#@$R@#

Computer is crashing again. Even with only two sticks of ram. Anyone have some new suggestions? Maybe there is a diagnostic program someone can point me in the direction of that will show me where the problem lies? Thanks guys.

P.S. It happens more often in game, but I have now seen my computer crash twice when I am not running graphics intensive software. This is new.
  10. Herp,

I checked the hex codes above at http://support.microsoft.com but had no results... Leads me to suspect a hardware based source.

Some things you can do:

How to generate a system health report:
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/82728-system-health-report.html

checking the Reliability Monitor for errors:
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69535-reliabilty-monitor.html

How to check system files in Vista:
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66978-system-files-sfc-command.html

How to perform a Startup repair:
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/91467-startup-repair.html

How to perform a full system repair:
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

Let us know the results, and we'll see what might be done.
  11. First I ran the system health report - it found no problems.

Then opened the reliability monitor. This is the information I thought you would find useful...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27974948@N06/2607501451/
    Just click the all sizes button above the pic and you'll be able to see it large enough to read.

I then ran the system file check on verifyonly and it said "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Provided that the above statement is true I shouldn't need to follow the last two steps, right?
  12. Correct

At this point, you''re looking for errors indicating the source of the problem.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Windows Vista