I have just built a new system with the following:
>Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.40GHz (1066FSI) CPU
>ASUS P5B (socket 775) PCI Express DDR2 Mobo
>GeIL 2GB (2 x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 RAM
>Tagan TG500-U25 500W ATX 2.0 Dual Engine PSU
>WD Caviar SE16 320GB 3200AAKS SATA-II 16M HDD
>Asus GeForce EN7600GS Silent HTD 256Mb DDR2 Graphics Card
>Windows XP Pro 32-Bit (Genuine)OS

All is well other than when I play any sound files, they start to stutter or jump (even MP3 files on my desktop). Can anyone point me in the right direction please? I have the latest Mobo BIOS and sound drivers etc and the RAM has been fully tested. CPU runs at 47c at idle, which the supplier tells me is fine?

Any help would be very much appreciated
May 17, 2007 12:39:16 PM

That happens a lot with integrated sound. I suggest you upgrade to a PCI card like Creative Audigy.
May 17, 2007 2:22:03 PM

I have used onboard for years and never had stuttering problems, static or anything else.

I am assuming it does it in games?
check the irq settings and see what else is using the same irq as the sound device. Probably have a conflict.

Latest and greates isnt always the best by the way. I dont upgrade bios, drivers, etc unless I am having a problem and/or the new driver fixes the problem or specifically increases performance.
Many times I have seen people update and then have problems. Once they went back to the origional or previous driver their problems were gone.
Related resources
May 17, 2007 2:54:33 PM

While most on-board sound is adequate it is well known that the p5b had terrible on-board sound problems. I gave up and bought an audigy.

It is possible new drivers or new boards may have fixed this. I have not checked lately.
May 17, 2007 8:29:04 PM

Thank you for the replies. I have reloaded everything from scratch and noticed the problem came back as soon as I had installed my network! I use Netgear RangeMax Next and when my connection is enabled the sound stutters and when I disable the connection, the sound is perfect.......Just need to figure out why now?
May 17, 2007 9:39:22 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the replies. I have reloaded everything from scratch and noticed the problem came back as soon as I had installed my network! I use Netgear RangeMax Next and when my connection is enabled the sound stutters and when I disable the connection, the sound is perfect.......Just need to figure out why now?

Interesting. The idea of a sound card and a network card interfering with each other sounds right.

Is this the p5b deluxe or the plain p5b?

Te problems I had on the P5B deluxe (non wifi) were somewhat intermittent. Have you confirmed that sound is OK if you take out the network? This would rule out a coincidence.

Found another thread here: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/P5B-OnBoard-Sound-crackling-solution-ftopict211934.html
May 17, 2007 11:04:03 PM

Thanks notherdude,

I have removed the soundmax software and fitted a soundblaster live card (3yrs old but working) from my old system. Thought id cracked it but the the stutter is still there. Its every 30 seconds or so even when im just playing a few mp3 tracks......its driving me nuts. I can see a couple of neighbours networks too, one called sky24636, one simply called home and one called livebox360 and im wondering if that might be causing some sort of a problem? Its a big problem when your quite a novice at this too!!
May 17, 2007 11:37:53 PM

NEWSFLASH

I have found & updated the drivers for the Netgear WN311B Network Card (to the vista version, but im running XP Pro) and the sound is back to normal (fingers crossed).... I have noticed that the neighbours "livebox360" network isnt visible anymore, so that may also be whats been causing the conflict, i'll just have to wait and see if the problem returns tomorrow.
!