UBUNTU WON'T install

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathbydoubleG

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
i have installed Ubuntu on about 6 other computer without a hitch but it won't install on my dads dell studio 7100 w/ a phenom 2 proc and an amd hd 5850. it gets to the screen with the five loading dots and than the monitor doesn't detect my computer and sleeps I've tried 6 times on this one computer with no succes :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :??: :??: :??: :??: :( :( :(

l3rushfir3

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I had a few issues with this before, you might want to consider running a CHKDSK with repair. I tried installing with a bad sector and it wouldn't go because of that.

gostumpy

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
I was completely unable to install any form of ubuntu on my Soltek Qbic computer with an Nvidia Geforce4 MX video card.

Gave up after trying Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu...

Finally tried AntiX Linux, and that worked like a charm :) A bit of a different experience from Ubuntu, but fun nonetheless!

HankB99

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
If it is just a video problem, you might get to a text console by pressing <ctrl><alt><F1>. At least that will get you to the point where you can do things like reconfigure the video drivers and so on. I'd start with 'sudo lspci -v'|less' to check out the video driver H/W. Then search that with Ubuntu and see if you find any hints to get things working.
Another useful command might be 'sudo lshw -c video' to identify video H/W

Good luck!

gostumpy

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Wow, an update for my progress after 6+ months... I must've been busy ;)

I got Ubuntu to work on my Soltek computer last night, apparently any video card I put in the AGP slot wouldn't work, didn't work last night, until I took the motherboard out of the case and breadboarded the whole thing... I think something in the case was preventing me from seating the video card all the way... Will put it all together tonight and hopefully it'll finally work with Ubuntu 10.04!

I smell a media PC :)

Status
Not open for further replies.