Phone jack with ADSL connection

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Hi, just getting back into Q2 after being a dial-up user for
years but now have a 256/64 ADSL connection. Any server that
I connect to gives me the phone jack. :( My rate is still
set to 3000 (as it was for dial-up) and cl_maxfps is 30, but
it didn't help. Any tips?

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Steve wrote:

> Hi, just getting back into Q2 after being a dial-up user for
> years but now have a 256/64 ADSL connection. Any server that
> I connect to gives me the phone jack. :( My rate is still
> set to 3000 (as it was for dial-up) and cl_maxfps is 30, but
> it didn't help. Any tips?

Forgot to mention: My netgraph has no red lines, but usually
has a triangle-shaped appearance, like this:

-----| -----|
-----/ | -----/ | -----/
-----/ | -----/ | -----/
-----/ |-----/ |-----/

If you know what I mean... the ping goes from low to high, then
drops back down again, only to slowly rise again. My ADSL modem
is connected via USB -- I heard that ethernet should be used, but
I don't have an ethernet-compatible ADSL modem (it's a D-Link
DSL-200).

EvilBill wrote:
> Tremble ye! for upon this sandbank of Apophis Steve <me@privacy.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi, just getting back into Q2 after being a dial-up user for
>>years but now have a 256/64 ADSL connection. Any server that
>>I connect to gives me the phone jack. :( My rate is still
>>set to 3000 (as it was for dial-up) and cl_maxfps is 30, but
>>it didn't help. Any tips?
>

> Set your rate to 15000, that might help.

whooaahh there tiger.. 15000 for a 256/64 ? that a little overkill huh?
but he's right, your problem is your RATE is too low. I'd try it higher,
maybe START at 10000 and work back down till it evens out. And try that
with your favorite servers till U find a happy medium. (or change it for
different servers) I have a 786/256 aDSL connect. I usually have my
rate between 7 and 10K. 3000 just too slow even for your 256, that why
you getting thoes triangle-looking netgraph peaks. I've seen it before.

good luck with experimenting. -DreadDave

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

DreadDave wrote:

>>> Hi, just getting back into Q2 after being a dial-up user for
>>> years but now have a 256/64 ADSL connection. Any server that
>>> I connect to gives me the phone jack. :( My rate is still
>>> set to 3000 (as it was for dial-up) and cl_maxfps is 30, but
>>> it didn't help. Any tips?
>>
>> Set your rate to 15000, that might help.
>>

> whooaahh there tiger.. 15000 for a 256/64 ? that a little overkill
> huh? but he's right, your problem is your RATE is too low.

Hmm, that would surely flood my connection even more, no?
That's why a lower rate is needed for dial-up... anyway,
I tried 15000 (and even 25000) and it didn't help. :(

> 3000 just too slow even for your 256, that why you getting thoes
> triangle-looking netgraph peaks. I've seen it before.

Strange. Back in my old Q2 days it was always a lower rate which
helped prevent lag -- not a higher one... because the rate command
determined how much data went to/from the game. How does opening
the flood-gates (per se) help? From my tests (above) it hasn't.

Steve wrote:

>>>Set your rate to 15000, that might help.
>>>

>>whooaahh there tiger.. 15000 for a 256/64 ? that a little overkill
>>huh? but he's right, your problem is your RATE is too low.
>

> Hmm, that would surely flood my connection even more, no?
> That's why a lower rate is needed for dial-up... anyway,
> I tried 15000 (and even 25000) and it didn't help. :(
>

>>3000 just too slow even for your 256, that why you getting thoes
>>triangle-looking netgraph peaks. I've seen it before.
>

> Strange. Back in my old Q2 days it was always a lower rate which
> helped prevent lag -- not a higher one... because the rate command
> determined how much data went to/from the game. How does opening
> the flood-gates (per se) help? From my tests (above) it hasn't.

Ahh I understand your confusion. RATE controlls speed from server to
your client game. MAXFPS controlls speed from game to server. Will your
machine do more than 30fps? if so you might up it a bit too.
Your problem is, the server is recieving more info than it's sending.
This is just my first hunch. A good place to start. There could of
course be other factors involved. I'd check my MTU and RWIN too. Win2K,
XP do a good job of adjusting these on the fly. If you use Win98,ME then
they could need tweaking.
-DreadDave

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

DreadDave wrote:

> Ahh I understand your confusion. RATE controlls speed from server to
> your client game. MAXFPS controlls speed from game to server. Will
> your machine do more than 30fps? if so you might up it a bit too.
> Your problem is, the server is recieving more info than it's sending.
> This is just my first hunch. A good place to start. There could of
> course be other factors involved. I'd check my MTU and RWIN too.
> Win2K, XP do a good job of adjusting these on the fly. If you use
> Win98,ME then they could need tweaking.

I have Win2K Pro (SP4) installed, and I've tried all sorts of combos
of RATE and CL_MAXFPS to no avail. :( I guess it comes down to the
USB issue I read about, which basically said to use an Ethernet ADSL
connection instead; but that requires purchase of an Ethernet card
and new ADSL modem -- so no dice. :)

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

EvilBill wrote:

> It was OK with my USB modem with cl_maxfps 60 and rate 15000-25000
> (but then, my ADSL was 512k down/256 up.)

The ironic thing about all this is that my dial-up modem had no lag
at all, but upgrading to ADSL, and looking forward to becoming a LPB,
was a no-go due to the lag that ADSL introduced. :( Bummer.

"Steve" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> EvilBill wrote:
>
>> It was OK with my USB modem with cl_maxfps 60 and rate 15000-25000
>> (but then, my ADSL was 512k down/256 up.)
>
> The ironic thing about all this is that my dial-up modem had no lag
> at all, but upgrading to ADSL, and looking forward to becoming a LPB,
> was a no-go due to the lag that ADSL introduced. :( Bummer.

Have you tried it on anything other than quake2 ?
i.e. are you sure it is only quake2 it happens with or could it infact be a
problem on your line and/or adsl service?

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

EvilBill wrote:

> It was OK with my USB modem with cl_maxfps 60 and rate 15000-25000
> (but then, my ADSL was 512k down/256 up.)

Are you the same EvilBill shown here -> http://tinyurl.com/35pwm ?
At that URL, you say "using a USB ADSL device is Bad News" but just
above you said it's OK... LOL! :) You're going mad! :)

Anyway, it seems my USB ADSL connection *is* the cause of my Q2 lag,
because http://tinyurl.com/324kq states "ADSL, by rights, should be
connected to an ethernet socket" and to "return the USB variant and
ask for a *proper* ethernet ADSL connection". So, I guess I'll look
into doing that to restore my Q2 gaming experience. :)

(As for my original post on this thread, http://tinyurl.com/2cbcz seems
to agree with me -- that my dial-up connection was better than ADSL!).

Paul

Splendid

EvilBill wrote:

>> Are you the same EvilBill shown here -> http://tinyurl.com/35pwm ?
>> At that URL, you say "using a USB ADSL device is Bad News" but just
>> above you said it's OK... LOL! :) You're going mad! :)
>
> That was 3 1/2 years before I actually got ADSL. <g>

Oh, okay. :)

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Steve wrote:

> Anyway, it seems my USB ADSL connection *is* the cause of my Q2 lag,
> because http://tinyurl.com/324kq states "ADSL, by rights, should be
> connected to an ethernet socket" and to "return the USB variant and
> ask for a *proper* ethernet ADSL connection". So, I guess I'll look
> into doing that to restore my Q2 gaming experience. :)

Got the problem solved: I found out that my USB ADSL modem was connected
to what turned out to be an old v1.1 USB port! So today I went out and
bought a 5-port PCI USB v2.0 board, plugged it in, shoved my ADSL modem
into it, and voila -- gaming problem fixed! :) I have my rate set to
15000 and cl_maxfps is 50, and all is fine -- no more of that sawtooth
shape that I was getting in the netgraph, and my ping, while still not
fantastic, is at least 80-90 on a constant basis. I no longer get the
phone jack icon either. :)

So I think it was a combination of old v1.1 USB port (slower speed) plus
the fact that the v1.1 port is powered by the CPU, unlike the PCI card
with v2.0 USB ports, which are self-powering. At any rate, I'm happy!

"Steve" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Steve wrote:
>

> So I think it was a combination of old v1.1 USB port (slower speed) plus
> the fact that the v1.1 port is powered by the CPU, unlike the PCI card
> with v2.0 USB ports, which are self-powering. At any rate, I'm happy!

Yup, that cpu power will make a big difference in gaming situations. Good
to hear you got it working

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm