dixiedarlin

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
I have a wireless router at my mother-in-law's she has DSL, I live about 500 feet away in a mobile home, I also have a router, I want to extend her range so that it will reach to me at my house. I have a linksys router and so does she, I looked on the internet and saw the wireless range extenders but was unsure if they would range out that far or not?? Never used one before don't know if I should do that or if I need to do something else??

brw02005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Well if you have linksys routers you may want to install dd-wrt to pull this off since your router is going to have to recieve the connection and transmit. I've read of directional antennas claiming 2 miles I bet that your 500 ft is possible although this prolly wont be cheap.

dixiedarlin

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
What is dd-wrt?? How hard is all this?? I am paying 108 a month for hughes net and it is worse than dial up and I can't get any help from them to come and fix it. So I have taken alternative measures!! If it costs me some to get it set up it still won't be as much as I am paying and wasting now.

brw02005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Ok linksys routers typically have broadcom chips and an alternative firmware called dd-wrt (google it) exists to provide extra functionality for free. I suggest this firmware since people claim that it gives them up to 4 times the range and sometimes as much a 10 times for short periods before the router overheats. It also enables you to set up wds with wpa encryption so your mother-in-law can transmit a signal to your router and you can retransmit it off yours (downside is you only recieve half signal from your router since the other half is concentrating on recieving). You may still need directional antennas which I'm not much help on since I've never had to broadcast that far but just find one rated for double the distance with the right connector and you should be ok (I saw one on newegg rated for two miles so it should make it).