Sign in with
Your question

Problem sharing files between win 7 and ubuntu

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
December 20, 2010 10:45:32 PM

Need a little help here. I've been looking through forums for a couple hours now and didn't come up with anything. Ubuntu noob by the way.

So I'm at the point where I have my windows 7 firewall set up so that I can see my windows 7 pc from ubuntu... and I can see my ubuntu pc through windows 7. I can only access the windows public folder from my ubuntu pc. If I try to access a windows hard drive from my ubuntu pc I get "Unable to mount location, Failed to mount Windows share". I've setup each hard drive on my windows 7 pc to be shared by everyone.

I've seen some posts about "samba", but have no idea how to use it. I feel like it probably isn't all that necessary anyway, since I have made it this far. I'd rather not move things to the public folder to use them. I just want to be able to access and watch movies on my ubuntu pc which is in the bedroom. Thanks for reading
December 23, 2010 10:38:19 PM

get "gparted" and mount windows 7, simple. unless am missing something lol
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 24, 2010 7:38:27 AM

CsG_kieran_2 said:
get "gparted" and mount windows 7, simple. unless am missing something lol

I think that you are missing the fact that gparted is partitioning software for hard disks and the OP is asking about network file sharing. The two have no connection.

OP - Have you tried just sharing just the folder that contains your movies rather than the whole hard disk? And you may need to give "guest" permission to the share.
m
l
Related resources
December 24, 2010 8:56:16 AM

ah i see, i didn't realise you were on a different computer. my bad
m
l
December 28, 2010 11:34:25 PM

Well the whole hard disk is my media. See I put all my media (and game installations other than steam) onto a separate hard drive. I did this to avoid swapping it "every which way" when I reinstall windows every once in a while. Seems like the norm lol.

So I guess I'll try just sharing one folder and see If that works and get back to you. If that works hopefully I can ctr+a > right click > share all, but I bet I'll be doing it one by one...

thanks for your efforts so far btw

edit: Oh and i'll try the guest share thing too. Will reply tomorrow, heading out to see Clutch play live tonight :) 

m
l
!