Missing or corrupt \system32\config\system

hottie_parms

Distinguished
May 21, 2007
I support a group of users (500+). Over the last week, I've seen three different computers who get the following message when they boot up:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\Windows\system32\config\system

Goes on to talk about the recovery console, etc, etc.

This problem has happened on three different laptops, each with a different image, and different model.

We cannot boot into the recovery console or try to repair the disk through other outside means because these drives are encrypted. While we can decrypt them and run things like chkdisk or copy over the file in question, we just find it's faster to give them a fresh computer/image.

I'm not really looking for help in how to resolve this error; once you get this, there are only a finite number of steps you can take to repair it. My real concern comes from the fact that this has happened 3 times in one week on three *different* computers at three different locations across the country. Any ideas as to why this has happened? Or could it just be coincidence? Google hasn't been much help in helping me find a root cause, besides a failing hard drive.

Thanks!

hottie_parms

Distinguished
May 21, 2007
Thanks Grumpy9117. I had skimmed that article previously, but it doesn't mention what could have caused the registry corruption. I mean, I've come to expect this from time to time, Windows will just break like this. However, the frequency has me worried that it might be something widespread and could affect other users in my group.

2 users is a coincidence, but 3 seems like it's the start of a trend.

Anyway, thanks for taking the effort to dig that up for me!

G

I see quite a few computers with corrupted registries and problems with their file systems that don't allow them to boot. I suspect the problems are caused by a sudden lose of power. I usually fix the corrupted registry by removing the hard drive and restoring the backup copy using a second PC. Just fixed one this week.

Grumpy