Sign in with
Your question

HDD cause system restarts?

Last response: in Storage
May 16, 2007 4:54:10 PM

Heya guys, only my second time here so my bad if this is the wrong place to post. my specs:gigabyte 965p ds3 rev 3.3, evga 8800gts 320, bfg 650watt PS, 1x2gig of corsair ram 5-5-5-12, WD 250 7200 HDD intel e6300 1.8(clocked 3.0 stable), well when i put my new system together ever thing was great, no problems, then the one day i turn it on, ever thing went to hell as far as restarts all the time freezes and of course, the blue screen of death, i replace the power supply from 500watt to the 650 bfg, replace the battery on the mobo, and everything was fine, then i looked in the case and saw a connector was burn, hmm yea not good, ive refomated so many times to the point that were if i go to down load upadates for xp, the first update after a format i get a restart, i get the blue screen saying, error for third party drivers or parts, got a windows error for ram, so many memory dumps i dont know what to do any more. i dont want to buy a bunch of parts i dont need,im thinking a bad HDD but who knows. thxs for the replys in advance :) 

More about : hdd system restarts

May 16, 2007 5:27:32 PM

Quote:
and saw a connector was burn,

i know you dont want to ruin the guessing game, but how's about a lil hint on WHICH connector this was and where it was placed.

motherboard?
hard drive?
vid?
4 pin connector?

valis
May 16, 2007 5:32:27 PM

My bad srry, to be honest not sure, its a four pin, connected to something on the bottom, could have been connected to the HDD or the fan on the side wall. srry i cant tell u more. Thxs
Related resources
May 16, 2007 5:56:42 PM

1. Set everything back to stock and see how everything runs for a while without overclocking. Your problem could easily be a bad overclock.

2. Run Memtest to make sure your Ram is good.

3. If you're worried it may be the hard drive, run HD Tune and scan for errors.
May 16, 2007 6:02:46 PM

Thx u, i have set everything back to stock, i just tried to run memtest but when i did i got the blue screen saying, make sure theres enough disk space, whens theres 133g on there, yesterday i ran an HD tool to scan for errors, it froze, i hit the restart buttom and i couldnt get back into windows, but if i power off, pull the power plug out, wait a min or 2, plug it back in, i can get into windows but only mins later to get a blue screen.
May 17, 2007 3:20:04 AM

Ok will do, thx u guys for the advice, will get back with the results :) 
!