Problems Moving/Copying Folders

brochowski

Distinguished
May 3, 2008
So I've been having this problem for a little while now, still can't figure out why it is... but yeah. I'll copy this from another forum that was completely unhelpful. :]

Just did a clean install of XP after trying out vista for a sec [figured might as well see how sp1 goes, and oh boy, lol] but yeah... Everything went smoothly on the XP format and install...everything's up and running now. I've just been experiencing this thing where I try to move or copy a folder from one place to another and it won't transfer the whole thing...just some of it. The little transfer window doesn't even come up. This has only happened when trying to copy/move from desktop to like, my documents or another folder so clearly there's an issue somewhere... I've also ran memtest and seatools for my HDD and everything passed... so only thing I can think of now if it's software is corrupt XP files... but I doubt it 'cause the problem's been there after several formats and everything. So...Idk.

I noticed that when I move some of these certain folders [all in my docs so far], the process will sometimes lag, then the dialog for the transfer pops up and it'll go through, sometimes slowly, sometimes partially and then the messages come up. I really need to get to the bottom of this... It's driving me crazy!

I also get this message as a result of the pending transfer taking so long I guess... ah.
message.png

Here's my setup:
Biostar TF7025-M2
AMD X2 4600+
4GB A-DATA DDR2-800
Seagate Barracuda 16MB 250GB
XFX 8600GT XXX 620mhz

Possible causes [that i can think of after everything else i checked out]:
Bad SATA controller or cables?
Something else. Lol.

Carlcsw

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Hi,

It could be a few things, i'd say a Sata issue relating to either Sata drivers or the BIOS or both.

Check for an up to date BIOS and latest SATA drivers for F6 option and Windows and see how you get on.

The only other thing I could think of is there is another process using or scanning that folder\file such as Anti-Virus or a hidden process but due to the slow transfer taking place I bet its SATA.

Check the cabling just in case and your settings in your BIOS, are your hard drives set to IDE, RAID or AHCI? Install the correct driver for RAID or AHCI?

Hope you get it solved my friend, let us all know how you get on.