Installing RedHad9 dual, is Lilo or Grub inlcuded on CD1?

dainova

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
Hi,
I'm doing dual boot RedHat 9 install on PC with XP, have those parts on my drive:
(C) NTFS 55G
(F) FAT32 5 G
(U) EXT3 15 G
(E) SWAP 1G

After booting into CD1 RedHat1 (09/03/2003 12:00AM 669,122,560 shrike-i386-disc1.iso) I have option for Graphical instllation Text Indtallation, but don't have an prompts to select right drive to put it into, niether lilo or grub .
I played with it got frozen on /bin/loader. Even when I tried to do <linux mediacheck>

Do I missing something, should I create separate cd for grub or something else?

Tx
Dai

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
RedHat 9 is very dated, so I presume this is for a college course rather than real-world use (which wouldn't be a good idea); it won't play nicely with modern hardware (like SATA hard drives), you'd be far better off installing it in a Virtual Machine (like VirtualBox).

randomizer

Champion
While using Red Hat's software is a good recommendation given its prevalence in the industry, I question whether your advisor meant that you needed to use Red Hat Linux or if you could also use Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL). The latter is much newer, and much more likely to work on newer hardware. Red Hat Linux has long since been deprecated.

randomizer

Champion
RHEL borrows most of its features from Fedora anyway, but only once they've stabilised. If your PC can run Fedora then it should run RHEL. If you can't get a copy of RHEL for free legitimately from your school/college/university then you can use CentOS instead, which is exactly the same as RHEL minus the branding and the Red Hat Network commercial features (it also uses the YUM package manager like Fedora). It's 100% compatible as long as you only use the default repositories.

What you use really depends on your course requirements.

As for your original question, since I have only used Red Hat 9 once, and that was about 4 or 5 years ago, I can't really answer it. But I'm fairly sure that CentOS uses GRUB and gives you the option of where to put it. If it doesn't, you can always manually configure grub afterwards.