Help me choose a board please :)

EGH

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
so im on the verge of buying a new system

its gonna be a e6600, single gf8800gtx, 2gb ddr2 ram

i plan to try and OC it as much as possible stock. so i settled for 800mhz ram 4-4-4-15 ocz plat

but now what boggles me is the choice of the motherboard.. im not really knowledgeable when it comes to chipsets and all, tried reading reviews of different ones but it felt like i was reading chinese.

so i would like a board that has great OC capability and performance, i do not require a 2nd pci-e since im going for single card.

thanks for the replies!

uri

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
For now you'll want the P965 chipset from Intel. It's a great overclocker, low power consuption and fast southbridge (raid set-up and all...)
But the P35 is starting to show up which suppose to be the P965 successor so if you can wait a week or so to have more variety of P35 boards and more reviews...

As for a brand I like the Gigabyte and Abit boards...

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2543&ModelName=GA-P35-DS3R
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2456&ModelName=GA-965P-DS3
http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=AB9+Pro&fMTYPE=LGA775

bungee91

Distinguished
May 16, 2007
Even though the benchmarks aren't too available on the P35 boards as of yet (probably something to do with the 21'st NDA) you may want to consider that chipset for guaranteed compatibility with the upcoming 45nm processors.
Unless you want to upgrade again later on, this may allow you to have a motherboard for more than one upgrade (personally has NEVER happened for me!)

There seems to be 3 manufacturers offering the P35 chipset as of now. Which is Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI. Overclocking between them won't be well known until more reviews are available, but most you can purchase now (I haven't found the MSI offering for sale as of yet).
The one link is one of the Giabyte offering, they have these models for P35 out or coming soon.
P35-DQ6
P35-DS4
P35-DS3P
P35-DS3R
P35C-DS3R

Check their site if your interested to get some details.
Also I have read they are all supposed to have the same BIOS options for overclocking, but it is unknown as of now if one is better performing than the other.

EGH

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
well the place i order from doesnt have any p35 boards in stock yet, so i went for an asus p5b deluxe 965p.

im pretty sure tha when ill need to upgrade, technology will be far beyond p35 boards :p:p

bungee91

Distinguished
May 16, 2007
Wow you ordered that quick!..LOL

I think you made a good choice, as that is definitely one of the top P965 boards available. I was going to order the same one, but now that the P35's are out I have decided to wait a bit.

Hope it works out well for you, and there is plenty of info regarding that board and OC'ing

Hathorian

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
lol. I've spent almost a year researching my upcoming build and you go off and buy within 24 hrs. Hilarious! :lol:

I have to say though, that I have enjoyed doing all of the research the last several months and I know a lot more about components now then I did a year ago.

I am going to go with a P35 board early next week, very shortly after the reviews come out. i am buying a E4400 now and I'll OC it to get decent performance. I'll buy a penryn CPU late next year, when they are cheaper, after the nehalem chips come out.

EGH

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
i already did all the research i needed many months ago when i was thkning of upgrading but now my pc gave in so i had to order within a few days hehe.