Comcast STB problems?

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 28, 2004 2:16:28 AM

Is anyone else having problems with slow reaction times with Comcast STBs?
I am on the Comcast system in West Hartford, CT and have their HD set top
box (Motorola DCT 5100). A few weeks ago they changed from the old TV Guide
on-screen guide format (yellowish background) to a new format with a blue
background.
Immediately following the software update I noticed that the STB would
sometimes not always respond to the remote control so I put fresh batteries
in the remote but that did not help. I also became convinced that the
remote itself was not the problem because most of the time the display on
the STB indicated that it was receiving or had received a command from the
remote but it often took as much as 30-60 seconds for the action to occur.
In addition, from time to time, while waiting for a remote command to take
effect, a box will pop on the screen saying "Favorites Not Set" and giving
me the option to set them. My favorites are already set and that was not
the key I pressed to begin with.
This behavior is sporadic yet highly annoying. What I want to know (before
complaining to Comcast) is is this happening to anyone else besides me? If
so, please let me know where you are located.
Thanks.

Lee

More about : comcast stb problems

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 8:15:51 AM

Seems that almost any "upgrade" done has it's adverse effects, be it
inoperability or remote range. Same effect with the digital (not HD) here in
Michigan with Comcast.
"Lee Gordon" <bucketofspam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Is anyone else having problems with slow reaction times with Comcast STBs?
> I am on the Comcast system in West Hartford, CT and have their HD set top
> box (Motorola DCT 5100). A few weeks ago they changed from the old TV
> Guide
> on-screen guide format (yellowish background) to a new format with a blue
> background.
> Immediately following the software update I noticed that the STB would
> sometimes not always respond to the remote control so I put fresh
> batteries
> in the remote but that did not help. I also became convinced that the
> remote itself was not the problem because most of the time the display on
> the STB indicated that it was receiving or had received a command from the
> remote but it often took as much as 30-60 seconds for the action to occur.
> In addition, from time to time, while waiting for a remote command to take
> effect, a box will pop on the screen saying "Favorites Not Set" and giving
> me the option to set them. My favorites are already set and that was not
> the key I pressed to begin with.
> This behavior is sporadic yet highly annoying. What I want to know
> (before
> complaining to Comcast) is is this happening to anyone else besides me?
> If
> so, please let me know where you are located.
> Thanks.
>
> Lee
> --
> To e-mail, replace "bucketofspam" with "dleegordon"

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 2:21:18 PM

"Lee Gordon" <bucketofspam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> What I want to know (before complaining to Comcast) is is this happening
> to anyone else besides me?

Good luck talking to them! I called last night to report a new problem and
the guy argued with me that what I was describing was impossible. I was
like... "dude, why would I call you if it wasn't so?" Oh well, what can
you expect... the technology has gotten way ahead of the people they have
answering the phone.
December 28, 2004 4:13:51 PM

Amen. I have same problems here in Jacksonville, FL. Called Comcast twice,
they "hit" my STB no improvement. Unplug and reset no solution. It is not
the remote. When it locks or freezes try the buttons on the STB, they do
not function either. You have to just wait seemingly a minute or two and
then the problem goes away. Also mine guide jumps to the next hour or half
hour several minutes early. If I want to change channels say a 8:57 pm , I
must back space to 8:00 to move to that channel on the guide. Also News
Paper today announced 5.9 % Comcast rate increase. Ain't it great?
Ross

"Lee Gordon" <bucketofspam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Is anyone else having problems with slow reaction times with Comcast STBs?
> I am on the Comcast system in West Hartford, CT and have their HD set top
> box (Motorola DCT 5100). A few weeks ago they changed from the old TV
Guide
> on-screen guide format (yellowish background) to a new format with a blue
> background.
> Immediately following the software update I noticed that the STB would
> sometimes not always respond to the remote control so I put fresh
batteries
> in the remote but that did not help. I also became convinced that the
> remote itself was not the problem because most of the time the display on
> the STB indicated that it was receiving or had received a command from the
> remote but it often took as much as 30-60 seconds for the action to occur.
> In addition, from time to time, while waiting for a remote command to take
> effect, a box will pop on the screen saying "Favorites Not Set" and giving
> me the option to set them. My favorites are already set and that was not
> the key I pressed to begin with.
> This behavior is sporadic yet highly annoying. What I want to know
(before
> complaining to Comcast) is is this happening to anyone else besides me?
If
> so, please let me know where you are located.
> Thanks.
>
> Lee
> --
> To e-mail, replace "bucketofspam" with "dleegordon"

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 5:14:30 PM

In article <auKdnU8z369AQE3cRVn-vA@comcast.com>, on Mon, 27 Dec 2004
23:16:28 -0500, bucketofspam@comcast.net wrote:

> Is anyone else having problems with slow reaction times with Comcast STBs?
> I am on the Comcast system in West Hartford, CT and have their HD set top
> box (Motorola DCT 5100). A few weeks ago they changed from the old TV Guide
> on-screen guide format (yellowish background) to a new format with a blue
> background.
> Immediately following the software update I noticed that the STB would
> sometimes not always respond to the remote control so I put fresh batteries
> in the remote but that did not help. I also became convinced that the
> remote itself was not the problem because most of the time the display on
> the STB indicated that it was receiving or had received a command from the
> remote but it often took as much as 30-60 seconds for the action to occur.
> In addition, from time to time, while waiting for a remote command to take
> effect, a box will pop on the screen saying "Favorites Not Set" and giving
> me the option to set them. My favorites are already set and that was not
> the key I pressed to begin with.
> This behavior is sporadic yet highly annoying. What I want to know (before
> complaining to Comcast) is is this happening to anyone else besides me? If
> so, please let me know where you are located.

Yes! I am having the exact same problem, in Northeastern Massachusetts
(served by Beverly, MA, Comcast). I've been reluctant to call Comcast,
having experienced their "helpful" tech support in the past.

I've also noticed that all my remote commands are queued, and executed,
in order, when the STB starts functioning again.

At least the new program guide got rid of the ads! I really hated those.

--
Seth Goodman
Anonymous

Yupper: Gov!! Join the Comcast Goverenmental Funding Group!!
"Sac D" <SacD@Oaktown.org> wrote in message

> "Lee Gordon" <bucketofspam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> What I want to know (before complaining to Comcast) is is this happening
>> to anyone else besides me?
>
> Good luck talking to them! I called last night to report a new problem
> and the guy argued with me that what I was describing was impossible. I
> was like... "dude, why would I call you if it wasn't so?" Oh well,
> what can you expect... the technology has gotten way ahead of the people
> they have answering the phone.

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 9:03:24 PM

<<Good luck talking to them! I called last night to report a new problem
and
the guy argued with me that what I was describing was impossible. I was
like... "dude, why would I call you if it wasn't so?" Oh well, what can
you expect... the technology has gotten way ahead of the people they have
answering the phone.>>

That's one of the reasons I posted here before calling to complain. I now
have testimony that people in Michigan, Florida, and Massachusetts are
experiencing the same problem so I can demonstrate that it is not just me or
my STB.
BTW, the few times I have sought tech support from Comcast for my broadband
internet connection they have always been very helpful and seemed to know
what they were talking about. I don't know if there is a huge disparity
between the internet people and the TV people, but that has been my
experience. And actually, I have never had a problem dealing with the cable
TV tech people either, not that I have done so very often.

Lee

December 28, 2004 11:11:54 PM

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:13:51 GMT, "Ross Moody"
<ross.moody@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Amen. I have same problems here in Jacksonville, FL. Called Comcast twice,
>they "hit" my STB no improvement. Unplug and reset no solution. It is not
>the remote. When it locks or freezes try the buttons on the STB, they do
>not function either. You have to just wait seemingly a minute or two and
>then the problem goes away. Also mine guide jumps to the next hour or half
>hour several minutes early. If I want to change channels say a 8:57 pm , I
>must back space to 8:00 to move to that channel on the guide. Also News
>Paper today announced 5.9 % Comcast rate increase. Ain't it great?
>Ross

Push your buttons slower. Digital and HDTV boxes need more processing
time between inputs. The reason the guide jumps ahead is because many
people like to plan ahead. All you have to do is back up (i button
push.) Relax and enjoy it. If that's all that's wrong you have it
made. Keep in mind that this is an evolving technology.
Thumper
>"Lee Gordon" <bucketofspam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Is anyone else having problems with slow reaction times with Comcast STBs?
>> I am on the Comcast system in West Hartford, CT and have their HD set top
>> box (Motorola DCT 5100). A few weeks ago they changed from the old TV
>Guide
>> on-screen guide format (yellowish background) to a new format with a blue
>> background.
>> Immediately following the software update I noticed that the STB would
>> sometimes not always respond to the remote control so I put fresh
>batteries
>> in the remote but that did not help. I also became convinced that the
>> remote itself was not the problem because most of the time the display on
>> the STB indicated that it was receiving or had received a command from the
>> remote but it often took as much as 30-60 seconds for the action to occur.
>> In addition, from time to time, while waiting for a remote command to take
>> effect, a box will pop on the screen saying "Favorites Not Set" and giving
>> me the option to set them. My favorites are already set and that was not
>> the key I pressed to begin with.
>> This behavior is sporadic yet highly annoying. What I want to know
>(before
>> complaining to Comcast) is is this happening to anyone else besides me?
>If
>> so, please let me know where you are located.
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Lee
>> --
>> To e-mail, replace "bucketofspam" with "dleegordon"

To reply drop XYZ in address
December 28, 2004 11:12:39 PM

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 14:14:30 GMT, Seth Goodman <seth_news@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>In article <auKdnU8z369AQE3cRVn-vA@comcast.com>, on Mon, 27 Dec 2004
>23:16:28 -0500, bucketofspam@comcast.net wrote:
>
>> Is anyone else having problems with slow reaction times with Comcast STBs?
>> I am on the Comcast system in West Hartford, CT and have their HD set top
>> box (Motorola DCT 5100). A few weeks ago they changed from the old TV Guide
>> on-screen guide format (yellowish background) to a new format with a blue
>> background.
>> Immediately following the software update I noticed that the STB would
>> sometimes not always respond to the remote control so I put fresh batteries
>> in the remote but that did not help. I also became convinced that the
>> remote itself was not the problem because most of the time the display on
>> the STB indicated that it was receiving or had received a command from the
>> remote but it often took as much as 30-60 seconds for the action to occur.
>> In addition, from time to time, while waiting for a remote command to take
>> effect, a box will pop on the screen saying "Favorites Not Set" and giving
>> me the option to set them. My favorites are already set and that was not
>> the key I pressed to begin with.
>> This behavior is sporadic yet highly annoying. What I want to know (before
>> complaining to Comcast) is is this happening to anyone else besides me? If
>> so, please let me know where you are located.
>
>Yes! I am having the exact same problem, in Northeastern Massachusetts
>(served by Beverly, MA, Comcast). I've been reluctant to call Comcast,
>having experienced their "helpful" tech support in the past.
>
>I've also noticed that all my remote commands are queued, and executed,
>in order, when the STB starts functioning again.
>
>At least the new program guide got rid of the ads! I really hated those.

Relax. you'll get used to the new timing.
Thumper
To reply drop XYZ in address
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 11:12:40 PM

<<Relax. you'll get used to the new timing.>>

This isn't "new timing." It's a bug in the STB software. A consistant one
or two second delay would constitute a change in timing. A sporadic 30-60+
second delay represents a defect.
I don't know about you, but the way I relax is to plant myself in front of
the television and turn on something I want to watch. When I can't
transition from the end of one show to the start of the next one without
missing a chunk of the beginning (despite a commercial break in between)
because my cable box has decided to take a minute or two to cogitate over
the channel change request, I don't find that very relaxing.

Lee

December 29, 2004 4:11:56 AM

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:57:03 -0500, "Lee Gordon"
<bucketofspam@comcast.net> wrote:

><<Relax. you'll get used to the new timing.>>
>
>This isn't "new timing." It's a bug in the STB software. A consistant one
>or two second delay would constitute a change in timing. A sporadic 30-60+
>second delay represents a defect.

It is the "new timing" that he has to get used to until better
software comes along

>I don't know about you, but the way I relax is to plant myself in front of
>the television and turn on something I want to watch. When I can't
>transition from the end of one show to the start of the next one without
>missing a chunk of the beginning (despite a commercial break in between)
>because my cable box has decided to take a minute or two to cogitate over
>the channel change request, I don't find that very relaxing.

Well your choices are to keep whining, get used to it or turn the tv
off.
Thumper
>Lee

To reply drop XYZ in address
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 3:06:32 AM

<<I have same problems here in Jacksonville, FL. Called Comcast twice,
they "hit" my STB no improvement. Unplug and reset no solution.>>

Which STB do you have? Is it the Motorola DCT5100?

Lee

December 30, 2004 3:07:20 AM

<<Yes! I am having the exact same problem, in Northeastern Massachusetts
(served by Beverly, MA, Comcast). >>

Which STB do you have? Is it the Motorola DCT5100?

Lee

December 30, 2004 3:08:48 AM

<<Seems that almost any "upgrade" done has it's adverse effects, be it
inoperability or remote range. Same effect with the digital (not HD) here in
Michigan with Comcast.>>

Which STB do you have? Is it the Motorola DCT5100?

Lee

December 30, 2004 5:14:43 PM

In article <yP6dnQ98FpCUEE7cRVn-pg@comcast.com>, on Thu, 30 Dec 2004
00:07:20 -0500, bucketofspam@comcast.net wrote:

> <<Yes! I am having the exact same problem, in Northeastern Massachusetts
> (served by Beverly, MA, Comcast). >>
>
> Which STB do you have? Is it the Motorola DCT5100?

No, it's the Motorola DCT 6200.

--
Seth Goodman
Anonymous

I have the same problem and its getting real annoying. When I change
channels
or just use the remote to look at the program guide, whenever I click
the
remote maybe 8-10 times, it then seems to stop recognizing any command
and queues up the commands and I havwe to wait about 2 minutes !

It been like this almost a month now. I called Comcast about this issue
a week ago and they said its being worked on and that I should expect
my box
to be firmware-upgraded automatically. But he didn't say when.

Has anyone heard anything ? Also, is it worth asking Comcast for a
credit
for the days/weeks/months that I can't really use their HDTV STB ?

Thanks,
Steve
----
Seth Goodman wrote:
> In article <yP6dnQ98FpCUEE7cRVn-pg@comcast.com>, on Thu, 30 Dec 2004
> 00:07:20 -0500, bucketofspam@comcast.net wrote:
>
> > <<Yes! I am having the exact same problem, in Northeastern
Massachusetts
> > (served by Beverly, MA, Comcast). >>
> >
> > Which STB do you have? Is it the Motorola DCT5100?
>
> No, it's the Motorola DCT 6200.
>

> --
> Seth Goodman
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 11:56:38 PM

As I posted earlier, I have the same problems with Comcast, Motorola 5100,
STB. I am located in Jacksonville, FL. I have reported it twice and they
reset the box once with no improvement. The second hit did not come through
as another inline problem was causing unrelated delivery problems. That
"other" problem was fixed and a senior tech called back and apologized for
the problem. The guide problem is still unresolved however. Keep the heat
on and they will hopfully fix it.
Ross

<saz25@netscape.net> wrote in message
>I have the same problem and its getting real annoying. When I change
> channels
> or just use the remote to look at the program guide, whenever I click
> the
> remote maybe 8-10 times, it then seems to stop recognizing any command
> and queues up the commands and I havwe to wait about 2 minutes !
>
> It been like this almost a month now. I called Comcast about this issue
> a week ago and they said its being worked on and that I should expect
> my box
> to be firmware-upgraded automatically. But he didn't say when.
>
> Has anyone heard anything ? Also, is it worth asking Comcast for a
> credit
> for the days/weeks/months that I can't really use their HDTV STB ?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
> ----
> Seth Goodman wrote:
>> In article <yP6dnQ98FpCUEE7cRVn-pg@comcast.com>, on Thu, 30 Dec 2004
>> 00:07:20 -0500, bucketofspam@comcast.net wrote:
>>
>> > <<Yes! I am having the exact same problem, in Northeastern
> Massachusetts
>> > (served by Beverly, MA, Comcast). >>
>> >
>> > Which STB do you have? Is it the Motorola DCT5100?
>>
>> No, it's the Motorola DCT 6200.
>>

>> --
>> Seth Goodman

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 12:14:24 AM

the explanation for this is on AVS
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&thread...

"Ross Moody" <ross.moody@att.net> wrote in message
> As I posted earlier, I have the same problems with Comcast, Motorola 5100,
> STB. I am located in Jacksonville, FL. I have reported it twice and they
> reset the box once with no improvement. The second hit did not come
> through as another inline problem was causing unrelated delivery problems.
> That "other" problem was fixed and a senior tech called back and
> apologized for the problem. The guide problem is still unresolved
> however. Keep the heat on and they will hopfully fix it.
> Ross
>
> <saz25@netscape.net> wrote in message
>>I have the same problem and its getting real annoying. When I change
>> channels
>> or just use the remote to look at the program guide, whenever I click
>> the
>> remote maybe 8-10 times, it then seems to stop recognizing any command
>> and queues up the commands and I havwe to wait about 2 minutes !
>>
>> It been like this almost a month now. I called Comcast about this issue
>> a week ago and they said its being worked on and that I should expect
>> my box
>> to be firmware-upgraded automatically. But he didn't say when.
>>
>> Has anyone heard anything ? Also, is it worth asking Comcast for a
>> credit
>> for the days/weeks/months that I can't really use their HDTV STB ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Steve
>> ----
>> Seth Goodman wrote:

>> Massachusetts

>>> No, it's the Motorola DCT 6200.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Seth Goodman

Anonymous
January 14, 2005 9:33:22 PM

In article <zKydnYjNEslheXzcRVn-pg@comcast.com>, on Sun, 9 Jan 2005
21:14:24 -0500, a@b.com wrote:

> the explanation for this is on AVS
> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&thread...

Thanks, for the link - it does seem to explain what was going on.

Tonight I was checking the Cable Box setup, as per the explanation in
the avsforum cite, and I noticed my firmware had incremented to Version
8.13 . Sure enough, my STB no longer seems to be locking up during the
housekeeping function.

--
Seth Goodman
Anonymous

Great! The last time I checked mine was version 8.12 and still having
problems. (Jacksonville, FL) Will check again tonight.
Ross Moody

"Seth Goodman" <seth_news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In article <zKydnYjNEslheXzcRVn-pg@comcast.com>, on Sun, 9 Jan 2005
> 21:14:24 -0500, a@b.com wrote:
>
>> the explanation for this is on AVS
>> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&thread...
>
> Thanks, for the link - it does seem to explain what was going on.
>
> Tonight I was checking the Cable Box setup, as per the explanation in
> the avsforum cite, and I noticed my firmware had incremented to Version
> 8.13 . Sure enough, my STB no longer seems to be locking up during the
> housekeeping function.
>
> --
> Seth Goodman
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 7:01:08 AM

<<Tonight I was checking the Cable Box setup, as per the explanation in
the avsforum cite, and I noticed my firmware had incremented to Version
8.13 . Sure enough, my STB no longer seems to be locking up during the
housekeeping function. >>

I happened to be awake with the TV on late Wednesday/early Thursday (3-4 AM)
when the programming clicked off and there was a 5-10 minute download to the
STB. I didn't want to tempt fate by bringing it up, but it seems the lag
problem has indeed been cleared up, at least here in the Hartford area.

Lee

January 16, 2005 9:19:53 PM

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:16:28 -0500, Lee Gordon wrote:

> Is anyone else having problems with slow reaction times with Comcast STBs?
> I am on the Comcast system in West Hartford, CT and have their HD set top
> box (Motorola DCT 5100). A few weeks ago they changed from the old TV Guide
> on-screen guide format (yellowish background) to a new format with a blue
> background.
> Immediately following the software update I noticed that the STB would
> sometimes not always respond to the remote control so I put fresh batteries
> in the remote but that did not help. I also became convinced that the
> remote itself was not the problem because most of the time the display on
> the STB indicated that it was receiving or had received a command from the
> remote but it often took as much as 30-60 seconds for the action to occur.
> In addition, from time to time, while waiting for a remote command to take
> effect, a box will pop on the screen saying "Favorites Not Set" and giving
> me the option to set them. My favorites are already set and that was not
> the key I pressed to begin with.
> This behavior is sporadic yet highly annoying. What I want to know (before
> complaining to Comcast) is is this happening to anyone else besides me? If
> so, please let me know where you are located.
> Thanks.
>
> Lee

It's a known bug in the new firmware for the HD box, Motorola is working
on a fix but they don't have one yet. The firmware is shared with the DVR
version of the box so they can't go back to the old version. I was
experiencing the same problem before I upgraded to the dual tuner HD DVR
box. The behavior of the DVR box is much better. There is still a slight
lag on occasion but nothing like the problem that the non-DVR box had.
Also for some reason the picture is much better with the new box, not just
on the analog and non-HD digital channels but also on the HD channels. It
doesn't make any sense that the digital and HD channels should be any
better unless Comcast reduced the compression level at the same time that
they introduced the HD DVR box (I got mine just as soon as it became
available in my area). Irregardless of the reason the picture is noticably
better with the DVR version and the stall problem is mostly fixed. One
more thing, the DVR makes a huge difference to the amount of HD you can
watch. As you are aware there aren't a lot of HD channels so at any one
time the chances that there is something you want to watch is small. With
the DVR you can watch everything that you like even if it airs at 4 in the
morning.
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 3:12:13 AM

You must be living right, no cigar here in Super Bowl city. I just checked
my firmware and it is still 8.12. Still having problems. Maybe the techs
will start hitting boxes next week. Thank for the feedback
Ross
> <<Tonight I was checking the Cable Box setup, as per the explanation in
> the avsforum cite, and I noticed my firmware had incremented to Version
> 8.13 . Sure enough, my STB no longer seems to be locking up during the
> housekeeping function. >>
>
> I happened to be awake with the TV on late Wednesday/early Thursday (3-4
> AM)
> when the programming clicked off and there was a 5-10 minute download to
> the
> STB. I didn't want to tempt fate by bringing it up, but it seems the lag
> problem has indeed been cleared up, at least here in the Hartford area.
>
> Lee
>

> --
> To e-mail, replace "bucketofspam" with "dleegordon"

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 3:17:15 AM

Would you post your firmware version? I have the 5100 with ver 8.12 and
problems.
Thanks,
Ross
"General Schvantzkoph" <schvantzkoph@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.01.16.23.19.52.273434@yahoo.com...
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:16:28 -0500, Lee Gordon wrote:
>
>> Is anyone else having problems with slow reaction times with Comcast
>> STBs?
>> I am on the Comcast system in West Hartford, CT and have their HD set top
>> box (Motorola DCT 5100). A few weeks ago they changed from the old TV
>> Guide
>> on-screen guide format (yellowish background) to a new format with a blue
>> background.
>> Immediately following the software update I noticed that the STB would
>> sometimes not always respond to the remote control so I put fresh
>> batteries
>> in the remote but that did not help. I also became convinced that the
>> remote itself was not the problem because most of the time the display on
>> the STB indicated that it was receiving or had received a command from
>> the
>> remote but it often took as much as 30-60 seconds for the action to
>> occur.
>> In addition, from time to time, while waiting for a remote command to
>> take
>> effect, a box will pop on the screen saying "Favorites Not Set" and
>> giving
>> me the option to set them. My favorites are already set and that was not
>> the key I pressed to begin with.
>> This behavior is sporadic yet highly annoying. What I want to know
>> (before
>> complaining to Comcast) is is this happening to anyone else besides me?
>> If
>> so, please let me know where you are located.
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Lee
>
> It's a known bug in the new firmware for the HD box, Motorola is working
> on a fix but they don't have one yet. The firmware is shared with the DVR
> version of the box so they can't go back to the old version. I was
> experiencing the same problem before I upgraded to the dual tuner HD DVR
> box. The behavior of the DVR box is much better. There is still a slight
> lag on occasion but nothing like the problem that the non-DVR box had.
> Also for some reason the picture is much better with the new box, not just
> on the analog and non-HD digital channels but also on the HD channels. It
> doesn't make any sense that the digital and HD channels should be any
> better unless Comcast reduced the compression level at the same time that
> they introduced the HD DVR box (I got mine just as soon as it became
> available in my area). Irregardless of the reason the picture is noticably
> better with the DVR version and the stall problem is mostly fixed. One
> more thing, the DVR makes a huge difference to the amount of HD you can
> watch. As you are aware there aren't a lot of HD channels so at any one
> time the chances that there is something you want to watch is small. With
> the DVR you can watch everything that you like even if it airs at 4 in the
> morning.

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 3:17:16 AM

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 00:17:15 +0000, Ross Moody wrote:

> Would you post your firmware version? I have the 5100 with ver 8.12 and
> problems.
> Thanks,
> Ross

My firmware is 9.12
The Software version is 71.44-1203
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 3:55:20 AM

<<It's a known bug in the new firmware for the HD box, Motorola is working
on a fix but they don't have one yet. The firmware is shared with the DVR
version of the box so they can't go back to the old version. >>

I received what I presume was a software or firmware update on my DCT5100
earlier this week. The problem has pretty much disappeared.

Lee

January 19, 2005 8:43:48 AM

I looked last night and I have 8.13. I started using the channel
up/down controls
on the remote for the first time in 2 weeks and all seems ok now.

Way to go Comcast/Motorola.

Now all we need to do is to get Comcast to stop increasing the price
every year !
Steve
!