Problems connecting to unsecured wifi network in Vista

Ancalagon_uk

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
So I bought a wireless PCI card. Its an MSI PC60G F. I'm using Vista 64, and to my surprise it worked without the need for me to install drivers. In fact, Vista wont let me use the drivers provided by MSI. Although, the name of the device is different under Vista than on the packaging, I presume it was made by a different manufacturer.

Anyway, what happens is I want to test my wireless by connecting to an unsecured wifi network. It uses 802.11g which my card supports. My laptop, and another desktop in the lounge, can also connect to this network. But my desktop cant. Pretty much nothing happens, then windows says wireless association failed because of an unspecified error. or unspecified problem. The event log doesnt contain much more detail than that.

If it makes any difference, the card is mounted in the desktop, which uses an aluminium case. It has an external antenna (very short and made of, or coated in, plastic). the antenna is straight and about 10 cms long. the desktop sits near the wall, and attached to the wall is a metal radiator.

other tests I did were trying to connect to a secured network. I was asked for a passkey, which I dont have (obviously). then I set up an adhoc network on the vista desktop, and had the laptop connect to it. Seemed to work fine. the laptop was sitting very close to the desktop though.

any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Bloodsucker

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
Yesterday, I was fighting with the same problem you are describing. The problem was solved by new version of Atheros 5005GS driver. Google it. If you cant find it, just write here your e-mail and I will send you up to date drivers. :)