SP3 Registry Corruption - Device Manager and Networking Problems

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I found that the Device Manager window was completely empty after the SP3 update. So I went to Microsoft and did some searching. I found this:

After XP SP3 Upgrade - Device Manager Empty / Network Connection Icons Missing
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3302530&SiteID=17

The thread titled Answer *solved* (For me: ) - Device Manager Empty / Network Connection Icons Missing worked for me.

I booted into safe mode and did a search for keys with $%& and manually deleted all of them. Now the Device Manager works. It took me over an hour to do this. I got pretty quick at hitting the delete key and pressing the OK button. There are thousands of them.

It looks like it might be caused by Norton Internet Security.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
No one has noticed these problems? I would like to know if anyone not using NIS has them.

Just to Start->Run and type regedit. Then search for $%&.

fleakiller

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
I had the same problem, but then i just wiped everything out and reinstalled xp pro with sp3 then the rest of software's all is good except every now and then i get a error about norton and i should update norton

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I've done several SP3 upgrades with no problems, and I just did a computer with 9 users with no problems at all, but I close everything in the lower right corner that I can, and then run Uniblue Registry Booster first, I just wish they'd get IE7 fixed

fleakiller

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
I run two systems one that is a cheap amd x2 that runs rosetta only on the side and a q6600 with four users both systems with xp pro sp2 that i upgraded to sp3 the rosetta system and x2 does not have Norton upgraded with no problems but the system with Norton crashed when i upgraded to sp3 after wiping everything out and reinstalling everything but Norton went fine intell i installed Norton systemworks 2008 then i started to get errors again saying to update Norton that i never got when i was running sp2 so maybe Norton just needs to fix problem with sp3. but you would think that Microsoft would have worked with Norton before the update was released??? but i am left handed:) I had started a thread who has had problems with sp3. P.S team MATTFARM  if anyone wants to join!!!