Sign in with
Your question

What is the best way to set up dual displays

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
January 5, 2011 5:53:42 PM

I have the following hardware:

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H based on AMD 890GX chipset with integrated video chip (HD 4290 w/x1 HDMI, x1 DVI, x1 VGA)
Video Card: HIS HD 5770 PCIe card (x2 DVI, x1 HDMI, x1 Display Port)
Display 1: Viewsonic VX2250w-wm-LED (x1 DVI, x1 VGA)
Display 2: VIZIO VA220E 22" FHDTV (x2 HDMI, x1 VGA, x1 Component Video, x1 Composite Video, x1 RF)

Software: Fedora 14 uname -r = 2.6.35.10-74.fc14.x86_64
Right now I am using the opensource radeon drivers, but I did have Catalyst installed at one point, but lsmod at both times reported radeon as the driver.
When I initially installed the board (it's in the first PCIe x16 slot), I had Catalyst installed already, I set the BIOS to initialize the PCIe video first (PEG) and the default settings for the onboard chip. The BIOS part of the boot was fine but when it got to the GRUB menu and started to boot the default kernel it immediately gave a kernel panic. I then switched back the BIOS to the onboard chip and was able to boot and log in. When I launched Catalyst Control Center as root, the 5770 did not show up at all, so the VIZIO was not showing up as well. Doing lspci shows both video controllers and lsmod showed radeon as being loaded. I then removed Catalyst as I had received feedback from someone that they got it working without CCC and of course no HD 5770 and no display that is connected to it either.

So what stupid thing am I doing wrong?

More about : set dual displays

January 5, 2011 8:23:58 PM

what xserver version?

And please verify:
Is dual screen working with radeon drivers? Or are you just having issues with catalyst?
m
l
January 5, 2011 8:58:33 PM

skittle said:
what xserver version?

And please verify:
Is dual screen working with radeon drivers? Or are you just having issues with catalyst?

I believe the server is at version 7.4 and the OSS ati drivers are at 6.13.1-0.3

The only way dual screen works at all is if I use the integrated chip and have one display on either the DVI or HDMI output and the other would have to be on the VGA output. The first time I tried it with no other video controller installed was with the radeon drivers and it just automagically created a virtual desktop displaying my wall paper on both displays, but the two panels (I use Gnome for my DE) moved over to the VIZIO and all the desktop icons stayed on the ViewSonic. I could not move them back or had any control as to what went where. That's when I started with a separate video card setup. I originally started with a HD 3650, only later to find out that the combination was not compatible. Both Gigabyte and AMD lists that to use the onboard controller the PCIe controller had to be no less than a 54xx series. As far as Catalyst goes, I cannot find anything that would indicate that the PCIe card exists. From the CLI when I do lspci it shows both HD 4290 and HD 5770, however when I did lsmod when I still had catalyst installed and I got radeon listed for driver. Shouldn't I have seen something else like fglrx? I used a HowTo from the Fedora Forum to install catalyst which is in 3 rpm packages from RPMFusion. I found another thread that explains how to install using the binary from AMD/ATI. I might give that one a try, as that went a little deeper into setting it up after compiling and all. I assume (I normally don't like to use that word) that I need to disable all 3d effects I have installed anytime I install either proprietary or OSS, but I don't have to uninstall them. I have Compiz with 3D animation and Emerald Themes.
m
l
Related resources
January 5, 2011 9:21:46 PM

What do you get with radeon drivers? A cloned display? Honestly I would stay away from catalyst... it causes nothing but problems (I own a 4850).
m
l
January 6, 2011 1:06:32 AM

The radeon drivers don't show the 5770 card only the internal 4290 chip, so I only have the ability to use the VGA and one digital port. I was using a VGA cable for the VIZIO and the ViewSonic is connected to the DVI port. When I had done that it created a virtual desktop combining the 2 displays as one desktop. I use Gnome for my DE which has a top and bottom panel. My wallpaper is a picture of the USS Enterprise from Star Trek XI. I usually have a fair amount of apps open but most are minimized, When I connected the VIZIO I launched gnome-display-properties and automagically the change took place. Both panels disappeared from my main display the ViewSonic as well as open windows. I at first didn't realize what had happened as the VIZIO was not facing me straight on, but when I did look, I saw all of my open windows, both panels and my wallpaper as well as my 4 conky desktop windows. My ViewSonic also had a full image of my wallpaper and all the desktop icons. So no it didn't clone the desktop just expanded it. It did seem to clone my wallpaper though. Oh and the mouse pointer was able to move freely between the 2 displays.

That may not be a problem if I could change it around, so that the panels and conky stay on the primary display, since the 2nd display would only be there part time and is normally about 30 feet away. I just want to get it working for occasional viewing of video on my hard drives. I'd like to get the 2 video controller set up working if I can, and use the 5770 for my ViewSonic and the onboard chip for the TV.
m
l
January 6, 2011 6:26:00 PM

Hi, can you please confirm if you are running plain radeon driver, or radeonHD driver? Your card should be supported in the latter driver...
m
l
January 6, 2011 9:28:30 PM

skittle said:
Hi, can you please confirm if you are running plain radeon driver, or radeonHD driver? Your card should be supported in the latter driver...

Is that still current? I thought I remember seeing that radeon is radeonhd and that radeonhd is no longer.

I've done some more testing. Someone on another list thought that maybe the new card was bad, so I had my old HD 3650 which I plugged in and got the same results. I was failing 2 different ways,

1. After the BIOS transferred to GRUB the menu would come up fine and respond ok to my selection. As soon as the screen blanks out it lights back up and displays the boot splash screen never going to the screen that prompts for my LUKS passphrase. If I hit escape to go character mode it is just blank and then the following shows up.

boot device found

boot device found

Boot has failed, sleeping forever

2. Repeat of the above except when I hit Esc to go text mode I'll get some of the following and not necessarily in this order.

[2.0269701] general protection fault 0000[#1] SMP
last sysfs file: /sys/bus/pci/drivers/radeon/uevent
. a whole bunch of stuff
. scrolled off the screen
. paused at this point
worker 147 failed while handling '/devices/pci 0000:00/2222:00:03.010000 - fast scrolling started again so was not able to get rest of line

I also got once;
[.6182001] Fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed

These errors occurred attempting to boot from the hard drive as well as LiveCDs and Install DVDs. I had even tried going back to F12 which didn't even get started, probably because of hardware being too new for that version, but decided to try it anyway.

I have also updated the BIOS with no change. So I'm at wits end for this, With all the problems I've had this past month, going through 3 defective ASUS MoBos and coming back to Gigabyte only to have continual problems. My wife will shoot me if I have to go back to MicroCenter for another exchange.
m
l
January 17, 2011 1:25:05 AM

Sorry I have taken so long to reply, just received notification of your response.

Actually the radeon driver has more features than radeonhd although they say that radeonhd will still be supported as lon as the demand is there. Here is one link about this, http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd?action=print

I will try the vesa mode maybe tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
m
l
January 24, 2011 12:39:39 AM

Using vesa brought no joy either. I did finally get a 30ft DVI-HDMI cable, so it'll be easier to test as I don't have to be constantly disconnecting from cable and then moving over to the PC for testing.
m
l
January 27, 2011 7:52:58 PM

Just tried some additional LiveCDs in particular Fedora 11 32 bit which uses the 2.6.29 kernel and it booted fine using the PCIe card as primary. Fedora 12 uses the 2.6.31 kernel and does not work with this configuration. I do not have a 64 bit version of the 2.6.29 kernel or a 2.6.30 kernel to further test this. I had originally used System Rescue CD-x86-1.2.3 from August 2009, This uses the 2.6.29 kernel which led me to try my Fedora 11 CD. Anyone have any suggestions as what else I can try? Is there a way to use Fedora 14 with the 2.6.29 kernel?
m
l
January 29, 2011 1:27:20 AM

On a hunch I downloaded F14 32bit LiveCD and it worked. So now what? I have noticed one thing is that the system is only report 3.37GiB of RAM. I have 4GB, I'm not sure off the top of my head what it should show, but I think it should be more than 3.37. I'm not sure if this has always been this way, I thought it used to show around 3.9 but I could be wrong. I tried moving the 2 sticks to the other 2 slots then swapping stick 1 with stick 2 without any change. Any ideas out there?
m
l
January 29, 2011 1:45:00 AM

32bit will only show 3.37gb of ram. If you want to use the full 4gb you'll need to use a 64bit system. Look for an AMD64 or x86_64 build.
m
l
January 29, 2011 2:59:17 AM

That's when I'm running 64bit kernel, it shows a little less with 32bit, but not as much of a difference than it should be.
m
l
January 29, 2011 9:00:00 AM

64 bit kernel or 64 bit system? There's a difference (above you said you got the F14 32bit livecd).

m
l
January 29, 2011 10:27:47 AM

Sorry, I meant to say after rebooting from my hard drive which has the 64bit system running 64bit kernel I had noticed that it was showing only 3.37GiB of RAM. When running the 32bit LiveCD it reported 3.2? I'm pretty sure it used to be 3.9? when I was running the 64bit kernel. Moving the RAM to the other pair of slots did nothing. I then swapped the 1st stick with the 2nd stick, got same results.
m
l
January 31, 2011 1:41:16 PM

My laptop with 4gb of ram shows 3868mb total. Which is accurate if you think that 4gb = 4000000 mb, and you divide by 1024.

The 'missing' ram may be used by the onboard video for some reason, maybe there's a bios setting controlling how much ram is used, but the video driver should be able to dynamically use memory for the onboard video.
m
l
January 31, 2011 3:21:30 PM

someone19 said:
My laptop with 4gb of ram shows 3868mb total. Which is accurate if you think that 4gb = 4000000 mb, and you divide by 1024.

The 'missing' ram may be used by the onboard video for some reason, maybe there's a bios setting controlling how much ram is used, but the video driver should be able to dynamically use memory for the onboard video.

Goes to UMA Frame Buffer about 512MB. If I decrease it the system will not boot. It allows adjustments of 128MB, 256MB, 512MB and Auto which is the default. It also has Side Port memory which is supposed to be separate from the 4GB RAM, but I'm thinking that it's not as the difference between what I should be seeing and what I'm actually seeing is closer to 640MB which if memory adds up to both "forms" of memory that is allocated for the onboard video.
m
l
January 31, 2011 6:01:59 PM

That's about right. Onboard video uses system ram the same way that a dedicated card uses its onboard ram. If you need the ram, you'll have to disable onboard video, but that's not what you want to accomplish.
m
l
January 31, 2011 6:27:10 PM

someone19 said:
That's about right. Onboard video uses system ram the same way that a dedicated card uses its onboard ram. If you need the ram, you'll have to disable onboard video, but that's not what you want to accomplish.

One thing I did notice when I started playing with the UMA size, anything less than 512MB failed to boot with one of the errors being a page fault. I remember one of the times that I attempted to boot with the CMOS set to boot using the PCIe card, a couple of times I noticed mention of a page fault as one of the errors. If I can get the HD 5770 card to work or accomplish what I want and it does it with the onboard disabled then I don't have a problem with that.
m
l
January 31, 2011 6:52:27 PM

Go for it. Disable the onboard. You may need to pass a kernel command to disable framebuffers or x until you get them configured for the proper hardware.
m
l
February 5, 2011 12:07:41 AM

someone19 said:
Go for it. Disable the onboard. You may need to pass a kernel command to disable framebuffers or x until you get them configured for the proper hardware.

Just tried with the HD 5770 card installed and the onboard video disabled, and I can't boot Fedora 14 64 bit, but am able to boot the 32bit LiveCD version. I'm downloading the 32bit Install DVD, will probably try installing the 32bit on a spare hdd and see what I come up with.
m
l
February 12, 2011 2:16:05 AM

Got my hands on a copy of Win7 Pro both 32bit and 64bit. 32bit works, 64bit gives me a BSOD. I expected that.
m
l
February 19, 2011 12:10:12 AM

Got the go ahead from Gigabyte to request an RMA. Planning on getting another board 1st (possibly a MSI890FXA-GD70) prior to sending bd to Gigabyte, since it could take up to 4+ weeks.
m
l
!