Reinstalling OEM XP - Which KEY is the right KEY?

ocfun

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008
I'm re-installing XP on a friends computer that has had something pretty much ruin 1 out of every 3 files on the system. It's a Dell Dimension 2400. Here is something that puzzles me. Inside the case I see a sticker that has the 25 digit code. That's probably what I'd use. However I decided to run the popular key finder software and it shows XP as having a totally different 25 digit code. The system properties page shows that it's an OEM which is expected.

The reason I ran the key finder program was out of curiosity. I had run it on an emachines about a year ago and the same thing happened. What ever key it reports is not the same on the sticker on the machine. So I figured there must be some internal key for when it's shipped from the OEM that differs from the sticker they give you on the machine. I'm thinking they might do it this way because when they preload the system all the CD data is of course the same.

But I'm not really sure why and want to ask if that's what's going on. Beyond this question, the point is that I want to be sure this XP will be legit and able to get updates etc. So I want to be sure to enter the right key before I start so that I don't have to reinstall XP twice with the other key.

So can I just use either key? Should I use the one on the sticker? What really are the differences to how XP will react depending on which key I use? I also wonder what Dell support might think if the key doesn't match what's in the machine right now in the event of a future call from my friend. And then I wondered if by entering the key found in software, if it would somehow change later to the other key. But I doubt it. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this. Thanks. :D

sturm

Splendid
If you use the dell xp cd it probably wont ask you for the key. Most oems use a corp/oem key for their installs on all computers. The license key on the sticker on the case will be different but will work if you use it on a dell oem disk install. That key will not work on a retail version of xp though
Short answer, the key on the sticker will work if you are asked for one.

ocfun

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008
If you use the dell xp cd it probably wont ask you for the key. Most oems use a corp/oem key for their installs on all computers. The license key on the sticker on the case will be different but will work if you use it on a dell oem disk install. That key will not work on a retail version of xp though
Short answer, the key on the sticker will work if you are asked for one.

I found out that's exactly the case. As you said, it never ask me for a key. All the XP disks are probably the same print from the factory (at least I think they are), so the key inside the registry is probably again the same. I can only wonder why they bother to put a license key on the sticker then. hmm. Anyway, thank you for the quick response. :)

G

The Microsoft EULA requires a Product Key sticker, a Windows CD and a Windows booklet with every copy of Windows.

Grumpy

@ocfun, Dell speed installs its software on multiple machines and then slaps a genuine OEM sticker on the machine before shipping it out, the restore disk restores the machine to its shipped specs not needing the sticker product key.

Its surprising MSFT hasn't burnt Dells rear on that little Dell speed fluke because its like getting 2 OP/SYS for the price of one because all you need is a Full Installation OEM installation disk to use the sticker product key on a 2nd machine.

Most computer shops if you take them the side panel to prove you have a legal license will burn you an installation disk for the OEM license for about 5 bucks, been there done that!

At least thats one super benefit you get from Dell, but most consumers never even discover it!

As for you the sticker on the machine is a legal MSFT product key and can be installed on a 2nd machine, and since its as old as it is activating it will be automatic online, no fuss no muss.

So get busy and build yourself another machine you already have an operating system for it!