Corrupt installs and cabs

schick79

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
I am having trouble on my Windows XP box. All of a sudden, almost every time I try to install a program, I get an error message about a corrupt CAB file, or a corrupt program, or something of the sort. I have double checked the source files on another computer and they work fine. Here are a list of steps I have tried already:

* Chkdsk
* Defrag
* Windows XP SP3
* Run diagnostic software to check functionality of: memory, CPU, hard drive, (actually, the entire system)
* Cleaned up temp file locations, and verified they exist, and that I have permissions to write to them
* Checked for viruses and spyware (running latest version of McAfee Total Protection)
* Up to date on Windows updates

I have absolutely no idea what could be causing this. If anyone has any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Steve

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
You need to post the EXACT error message! You cold check autoexec.nt in system32 folder. If that goes missing or gets corrupted it causes install problems. There are other copies on your drive, try \windows\repair

Mike.

schick79

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
This is from trying to install a patch for QuickBooks:
FATAL ERROR
The installation program is corrupt. This is usually caused by a faulty download, but it can also be caused by a virus on your computer. The installation cannot proceed.

Delete the completed installer to prevent caching, then re-download it. If the problem persists, check your system for viruses.

Error code: 55

schick79

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Okay, this gets more interesting. I just downloaded the same file from a different computer, and cut and pasted the file to the problem computer, and it worked fine. So, it appears that the problem is downloading the file from the problem compuer.

Also, this problem was ocurring both before and after I installed the antivirus software.

TRENDING THREADS