tken

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
I'm starting to order parts for a gaming rig I'm building (my first homebuilt). I have Windows XP installed on the 80G HDD in my current system, but I don't have the CDs or product key that came with it. If I were to simply use this hard drive (along with a new hard drive for games/mass storage/etc) in my new system, will I be able to avoid buying XP again? Will there be any issues with booting up for the first time (as opposed to booting from a DVD of Windows) or anything else?

Pretty basic question I hope. Thanks in advance.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
It's unlikely to boot into Windows successfully due to the different chipset and motherboard drivers. And if you were switching from intel to amd, you would have a problem since 64 bit amd chips require a special driver.

Also, even if you did get into Windows, it would notice all of the different hardware and require you to reactivate windows.

Normally there would be no chance in hell a new system would not force you to reinstall XP... But you can minimize chances by doing these things:

Install as much of the new hardware as you can without swapping the motherboard and harddrive.

Uninstall all the AMD related drivers.

Keep the same motherboard / video card manufacturer.

It is possible everything will be ok, but dont plan on it. Factor a new copy of XP in the cost.

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Eh, is this a legit copy of WinXP? If so you have a sticker. The sticker has a number. Download yourself a WinXP 8in1 CD, boot into the correct version of WinXP to use your key, and install. If activation gives you troubles call MS.

If it's a pirated copy of WinXP just download the 8in1 CD and pirate it again...

As for swapping the HD between systems: if your current HD is IDE just install the generic IDE controller drivers before you swap the disk to the new system. If it is a SATA controller... hmm, if you force it to install the driver for the SATA controller for the new computer it should cause the system to crash but it should work when you put it in the new system. But it won't be pretty.

As long as you can make the HD controller work the first time the new system boots up and make sure you have all the files needed to install the drivers for the new system on the HD it will work. It's not particularly pretty or easy if you're switching between very different chipsets though.