Sign in with
Your question

Power Savings! 15% Enable C1E support and underclock GPU

Last response: in Systems
May 16, 2007 9:39:50 PM

I've been playing around with some settings and today I purchased power meter to finally know the actual impact.
The results are not too bad:
Screen shot one would be my system at it's normal configuration(overclocked) the way I ran it for months. At these settings it uses from 201-204 watts at idle.
I ran this way because the common myth is that you need to disable C1E for a stable overclock. I have since enabled C1E and I am still very stable and performance is basically the same. The system takes about .2 sec more to do superpi to 1 million while the multiplier steps back up.
I have also decided to underclock my GPU at startup for desktop use. The settings with C1E and my 8800gtx underclocked are in screenshot number two.
With these settings I am saving about 30 watts and for desktop use the computer has no downside. With no effort these simple changes save 15% power and everything runs cooler at idle.
Other notes: At load it uses 290-305watts. With the computer off and the power supply on it still pulls 8 watts; Asus motherboard? I'll probably get in the habit of turning off the main power more.

No C1E and GPU at default- ----------201-204 watts
C1E enabled----------------------------193-195 watts
C1e enabled plus underclocked GPU-174-175 watts

May 16, 2007 10:16:45 PM

Don't forget that your Seasonic S12 600 has a lot to do with your power savings too.

It's been awhile since I read an in-depth review of the S12 500/600, but they were able to achieve an energy efficiency of up to 82% with a load of somewhere between 75% - 90%. That's based on a review from www.silentpcreview.com and that's one of the major reasons why I bought the S12 500 two years ago.
May 16, 2007 11:17:30 PM

Nice review! Not too many data points but presented clearly without any bumbling and all of your conclusions match your data. :trophy:

Doesn't C1E also dynamically adjust CPU voltage too though? I thought it did which is why I thought it was generally recommended to disable it.

Do you have an application that automatically, or at least 1clickedly, clocks your GFX card back up when you play games?

I just recently purchased my second Seasonic S12 and I'm liking them. The real thing to point out here is that your computer is only using ~250watts at full load (and the PSU is using another ~50watts). If someone made a 300watt PSU with enough 12v amperage to power your system it would likely run your OCed e6600 + 8800. Even more efficient PSUs are still needed but 1000watt PSUs aren't.

Simply turning stuff off at the power strip can save quite a bit of electricity for devices that are "off".

Again: grats on reducing your idle power usage by ~15% without any decrease in gaming performance and thanks for sharing the data points with us.

I love using electricity. Shedloads of it. But conservation is still important. If we all save a little no one has to save a lot and technology can move forward at a steady and inexpensive rate with lower environmental impact (and fewer people need to die fighting over energy sources). It's not necessary to change your entire lifestyle, and really not necessary to do it all at once, if you just use a little common sense. A few watts here and there buys us time to deploy new energy sources and energy saving technology without crisis. I like hot tubs, and warm houses, and leaving my computer on all the time so conserving electricity is important to me cuz I don't wanna have the price of electricity go up so much that I can no longer afford to do these things.

12v Computer PSUs are already up to 94% efficient. On of my long term goals is to convert to 12v PSUs and UPSs and generate a portion of my own electricity (probably through photo-voltaics) to keep my computer running. The beauty of it is that a 12v UPS is nothing but a battery with a charger hooked up to it. No inverter to buy or have fry on you :) 
Related resources
May 17, 2007 12:20:22 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I like you am not ready to give up my lifestyle but I am interested in finding ways to save. One example is this past Christmas I went with LED outdoor lights and did not see the usual big spike in usage.

Quote:

Doesn't C1E also dynamically adjust CPU voltage too though? I thought it did which is why I thought it was generally recommended to disable it.

I'm not 100% but I think as long as you leave "eist" disabled it won't mess with your vcore.

Quote:
Do you have an application that automatically, or at least 1clickedly, clocks your GFX card back up when you play games?

Right now I only have it set up as a profile in ATI tool, so when I game I'll have to switch profiles manually (3 clicks). Ati tool has a 2d mode but it only lets me adjust the core without the memory speed unless I lock the sliders and do everything inc. 3d together. With only the core underclocked the consumption is back up to 186watts. I'll look at ATI tool more closely and see if Rivatuner may be a better tool.
June 12, 2007 9:57:28 PM

is there a similar tool by nVidia?
thanks.
June 12, 2007 10:03:38 PM

ATI tool works on nvidia cards as well.
June 12, 2007 10:25:14 PM

thanks.
i'm DL nTune from Nvidia.
i'll see how it is before i check the ATI.
!