Where should i code... in win7 or ubuntu?

deathbydoubleG

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
i will be using c++

i am learning to code but i don't know which OS would be better.

i am leaning towards win7 (yea, thats like suicide in a linux fourm) because i will be initially developing apps for windows.

i will develop for linux after i become advanced because i like to use linux much more then windows

what do you all think?

Solution
Here's what I would do in your situation. Use Windows 7 for right now, since you're initially developing for Windows. Using a cross-platform IDE, such as Code::Blocks, Eclipse, etc. When you start branching off to other OS's, it's as simple as installing your Linux flavor of choice in VirtualBox, and installing the same IDE you're used to there.

Again, you have tons of options, but this one is a fairly straight-forward approach.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
If you're developing for Windows exclusively, there's not a whole lot of point using Linux.

Use whatever you're comfortable using. If you like Windows and have an IDE that you enjoy using, use that. If you like Linux, and again have an IDE you like using, use that. If you're not comfortable in an environment, it severely hinders your progress.

That's my $0.02 anyways ;)

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Here's what I would do in your situation. Use Windows 7 for right now, since you're initially developing for Windows. Using a cross-platform IDE, such as Code::Blocks, Eclipse, etc. When you start branching off to other OS's, it's as simple as installing your Linux flavor of choice in VirtualBox, and installing the same IDE you're used to there.

Again, you have tons of options, but this one is a fairly straight-forward approach.

Solution

wages

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
I agree with the cross-platform IDE thing but FIRST I think you should do things the old-fashioned way. The best way to do this is with Ubuntu. All you need is a simple text editor like vi or emacs and cc/gcc and the command line. Learning to do the compile and how to set compiler flags is VERY important if you want to learn the core principles to coding. Also, another thing you must learn if you want to be proficient is how to make and edit makefiles. IDE's hide a lot of this from you which isn't good when you are learning. If you can understand C code then understanding a makefile will be very easy for you to pick up. Worrying about configuring your fat, bloated IDE and which buttons to click is a ton of crap that is a distraction from learning how to write code properly from the beginning. You will easily learn all that garbage later after you have learned all the core concepts first.

Best of luck.