Sign in with
Your question

Best way to bridge one room to another

Last response: in Networking
July 12, 2007 3:18:40 PM

I have two "hubs" of computers/networking devices in my house. One is my den, where I have a 360/AppleTV/DirecTV HD DVR, and my cable inlet into the house. The other is my office, diagonally across the house (probably 50 feet) and upstairs.

I'm trying to decide what's the best thing to do. Right now, I have the DGL 4300 from Dlink, wireless router. 4 port Gigabit, "gaming" router, and it's currently in the den, routing the cable modem to the local devices there. I have two laptops I need to stay wireless, and I have 4 computers I'd like to have on the network in my office. They are all gigabit-capable, and I'd like to have them linked via gigabit. What devices do you all recommend I pick up to make this work?

Should I get a future-thinking 802.11n router? Should I go powerlines? I don't want to rewire my house, because it's all insulated walls, and floors I'd need to go through.

What's the best way to bridge two "sites" in my house?

More about : bridge room

July 17, 2007 6:09:20 PM

Well the only way to get true gigabit speed is run wire. Currently you have a super g gaming router so you could just buy a super g bridge. As for draft n I still haven't seen any real wireless throughput numbers for that stuff so I would just wait till its ready. If your going draft n you need draft n router, card, and bridge if the signal still doesn't make it. Prolly run you $400-$500.

A cool way to construct a poor mans bridge is to set up a computer and bridge the wireless to ethernet connection. In windows the dhcp will not be forwared to everything on the ethernet side so the computers on that side will need static ip.

If you want to set up the wireless to repeat your going to have to set up wds and most vendors do not support wds with wpa (WEP encryption can be broken in 3 minutes) not to mention with wds the repeater is at half speed. Apple supports wds with wpa and so do routers that can be hacked with dd-wrt (mostly buffalo linsys). WDS is also not a standard so don't expect it to work between vendors even though it might.

If your confused that's completely normal just let me know which method(s) you want more details on.
July 23, 2007 11:50:28 AM

although Cat5 will work fine, for multi media and stuff, i would just get a decent cat 6 cable and connect Hub to Hub, that way it will be able to carry many packets of data without interuption, so you will be working very close to 1000mbit

I think use a wireless network in this situation would be a 'bodge job' its worth lifting up some carpet, aslo you could use your existing feed to pull new ire through, wireless networks are very fiddlely
Related resources
!