Sign in with
Your question

How to do low-level format from BIOS, not other program

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 18, 2012 3:15:49 AM

how to do low-level format from BIOS, not using other program. I could not find any details after google, is there anyone know?

More about : low level format bios program

September 18, 2012 3:26:17 AM

First, why would you want to?

Second, it hasn't been possible to do a real low level format of a hard drive since IDE first came on the scene. A true low level format requires equipment only the manufacturer has.

September 18, 2012 8:32:09 AM

ex_bubblehead said:
First, why would you want to?

Second, it hasn't been possible to do a real low level format of a hard drive since IDE first came on the scene. A true low level format requires equipment only the manufacturer has.

Oh, I did not know that, the problem is that "My intention was to replace an older 50GB HD with a new 500GB HD in a system running WinXP. Using R-Drive Backup, I created a backup of the old drive as a file on another HD added to the system. And then, I partitioned the new drive into one 50GB (for the system) and a second using the space remaining. I set the 50GB partition as primary - and (after reading something on the Net), decided to set the primary partition as active. But after that if I place the new drive in any system, during the startup when the BIOS detects the new drive (before the boot process is started), the system stops. So I would like to reformat the new drive and start over, but I dont know how to get rid of this problem. NOTE that once I connect on this disk the computer could not boot up. Do you have and advise? Thanks.
Related resources
September 18, 2012 1:37:35 PM

Put the drive in an enclosure, attach it as an external to another system, delete all partitions on the drive using disk manager.
September 19, 2012 3:43:40 AM

ex_bubblehead said:
Put the drive in an enclosure, attach it as an external to another system, delete all partitions on the drive using disk manager.

I do not have an enclosure, but thanks for your reply, you are very helpful.
!