Adobe Premiere doesn't work on 64 Bit OS? What????

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
I am building a video editing super computer and trying to get the most performance that I can for editing. Apparently Adobe premiere isn't fully compatible with a 64 Bit system like XP 64 or Vista 64. This is ridiculous because I was going to go with a Vista 64 or XP 64 bit OS to get a good 8 or more GB of RAM. So now does this mean for my big super editing computer i am stuck with 2.75GB max RAM in a 32Bit OS??? This is bull. Anyone, if you have heard differently or can shed some light on this, please let me know. I cant believe Adobe Premiere would limit themselves to only using 2.75GB of RAM limited with a 32 Bit OS.

Heres the thing. The Tech guy at Adobe said, it may run on a 64 Bit system, but even then Premiere's are not meant to be used on a 64 Bit system and you still wouldn't get all of the 64 Bit benefits and features. Its maxed out at a 32 Bit system. Let me know people, before I switch to MAC's and use Final Cut. I have always been a PC guy and always will with games, but MAC is looking good right now for editing.

Actually using 64 bit 'processing' is irrelevant. Very few apps do. 32 bit apps run on 64 bit systems in a 32 bit mode. People use 64 bit primarily to use the extra ram.

The answer you got seems rather vague! You need to ask other people using Premiere.

edit: Ha! Here is what I found at Adobes site! http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/faq/

q. Does Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 run on 64-bit versions of Windows Vista?

a. Although Adobe Premiere Pro is not a native 64-bit application, it can run on 64-bit versions of Windows Vista. In this configuration, you can install up to 64GB of RAM in the system, and Adobe Premiere Pro can address up to 3GB of this RAM.

That dude doesn't know what he is talking about.

Yes, the FAQ does specify that it will only address 3 gig ram but under a 32 bit os there is a 2 gig application limit so it appears that you will get an extra gig of ram for the app. Not to mention that with 8 gig ram on your system all the other running apps will not be stealing from the amount of ram otherwise available to Premiere.

More from the FAQ:
What platforms does Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 support?

Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, including Encore CS3, is available for Windows and Intel® based Macintosh systems: Microsoft Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 2; Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, Ultimate (certified support for 32-bit editions only), or Mac OS X v. 10.4.9.

Final Cut seems to max out at 2.5 gig used on Mac os. Though the program loads other stuff, libraries and the like, that allocate separately. Premiere may do the same, not sure

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93844
Note that for Vista Ultimate they specify 'certified support for 32-bit editions only'. This is probably some minor issue but maybe you should get business or home premium 64 to be safe.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007

You seem really knowledgeable about your stuff and I have seen you around here a few times. Do you know a lot about Server boards? I want to buy a Dual CPU server board for future expansion for running two CPU's when technology catches up on editing software. Now I hear server boards are a whole new world and are very touchy. So I am trying to build my editing computer and I keep hearing different things, good and bad and its making me kind of nervous. I really need someones help on this one. I build gaming PC's but I feel buying some of the latest hardware and server board stuff, this is a whole new ball game. Here's what I have so for. Is it all compatible from what you can see? Someone said, I may need a different power supply for server boards. Are they also good for video editing?

ASUS Z7S WS Dual LGA 771 Intel 5400 SSI CEB Server Motherboard - Retail
Intel Xeon E5472 Harpertown 3.0GHz LGA 771 80W Quad-Core Processor Model EU80574KL080N - OEM
EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card
PPA Firewire 800 32 & 64 bits PCI Card Model 1226
OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V Power Supply - Retail
ATTO EPCI-UL4D-0R0 PCI-X Ultra320 SCSI Controller Card
Fujitsu MBA3300RC 300GB 15000 RPM Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) Hard Drive - OEM
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) ECC Fully Buffered Dual Channel Kit Server Memory Model KHX6400F2LLK2/2G

The idea is to put the two Fujitsu 15,000 RPM HD's in RAID. Is that possible with this whole controller card deal?

I don't work much with server level equipment. My only though about server boards is that they are usually very good at server type applications but no so special when it comes to running desktop apps for a single user.

But I can't really guide you much past typical desktop stuff. Sorry.

Someone else may know.

You might look into Skulltrail if you really want multiple CPUs. And the Intel Nehalem CPU is coming soon, which will bring back hyperthreading and generally push performance up another 20 - 40 %, or so it appears.

Would you really need more than 4 cores? That's a question you should ask yourself before spending a lot more money than you require. Any decent LGA 775 motherboard will support Intel quad-core CPUs... any more than that would seem to be overkill for what you're doing.

dgtlpsyche

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
To use Adobe Premiere Pro in Vista 64bit remove it first if you have it installed and then goto msconfig and run the disable UAC script then reboot your pc. Then reinstall Premiere and then it will work fine.