Sign in with
Your question

Installing windows 2000 professional without formatting the hard drive

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 22, 2012 6:39:47 AM

Hello, I would need help on how I can repair my windows 2000 pro system without formatting the partition. I have tried all the repair procedures I know (chkdsk through console, fast repair options) but the corrupt windows would not just get fixed. please help out.
Hassan
September 24, 2012 4:16:00 AM

You should backup all your data and perform a FULL install that includes a format.

Why don't you want to format?
m
l
September 25, 2012 5:07:42 PM

You don't have to format it to re-install Windows, just re-install it over the existing directory. You'd have to re-install all your applications but you will have a clean setup.

You may want to backup your user files just in case.
m
l
Related resources
October 12, 2012 10:08:07 AM

PhilFrisbie said:
You should backup all your data and perform a FULL install that includes a format.

Why don't you want to format?

I'm avoiding formatting to save cost by not having to invite some of the applications owner for re-install after formatting.
m
l
October 12, 2012 1:37:07 PM

hassan200314 said:
I'm avoiding formatting to save cost by not having to invite some of the applications owner for re-install after formatting.

You need to re-install all the programs anyway even if you don't format. If Windows can't be repaired, you need a clean installation, which will loose all program info, even if the files are all there on the drive. You'd have to re-create any files and registry entries manually that were in the Windows directory and user directories.
m
l
!