Installing windows 2000 professional without formatting the hard drive

Hello, I would need help on how I can repair my windows 2000 pro system without formatting the partition. I have tried all the repair procedures I know (chkdsk through console, fast repair options) but the corrupt windows would not just get fixed. please help out.
Hassan
4 answers Last reply
More about installing windows 2000 professional formatting hard drive
  1. You should backup all your data and perform a FULL install that includes a format.

Why don't you want to format?
  2. You don't have to format it to re-install Windows, just re-install it over the existing directory. You'd have to re-install all your applications but you will have a clean setup.

You may want to backup your user files just in case.
  3. PhilFrisbie said:
    You should backup all your data and perform a FULL install that includes a format.

Why don't you want to format?

I'm avoiding formatting to save cost by not having to invite some of the applications owner for re-install after formatting.
  4. hassan200314 said:
    I'm avoiding formatting to save cost by not having to invite some of the applications owner for re-install after formatting.

You need to re-install all the programs anyway even if you don't format. If Windows can't be repaired, you need a clean installation, which will loose all program info, even if the files are all there on the drive. You'd have to re-create any files and registry entries manually that were in the Windows directory and user directories.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 2000 Hard Drives Formatting Windows