I have a Compaq ap400
It Has 650 MB of ram
AGP VGA card
2 P2 400 MHz Processors
3 GB hard drive (SCSI)
IDE Cd drive
3.5 floppy

What kind of linux can i put on here?

Well, the 3gb hard drive can limit you, but the better question to answer is what do you want to do with it. Most of the more mainstream distributions include a lot of software packages and can easily fill 3+ gigs, so a lighter distribution would be best.

www.distrowatch.com has a list of distributions along with short descriptions. It gets overwhelming looking for a specific distribution, if you have specific needs, there are specializations, if you just want to learn, google lightweight linux distribution and pick one. For the most part they are the same in substance, different in nuance.
m
l
Related resources
a b 5 Linux
January 21, 2011 2:21:31 AM

If you have two NICs in there, it would be okay for a firewall or small webserver

NetBSD or OpenBSD; however, both are text based.

Not sure if you will have sufficient space for KDI or Gome. Both packages are available
m
l
a b 5 Linux
January 21, 2011 6:04:47 AM

I wouldn't run anything with a Desktop Environment on that machine if it were mine. Too much of a waste of resources.

Uses could be a firewall/router, webserver, or basic file server. You won't be able to get a lot from it, but it should do some basic tasks just fine.

Any BSD derivative, or a CLI-based Linux distro would work great. Ubuntu Server, Arch, or whatever you choose.
m
l
February 8, 2011 3:44:46 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't run anything with a Desktop Environment on that machine if it were mine. Too much of a waste of resources.

I'm currently using xfce4 as a de on a machine with similar specifications. You should be able to run it quite smoothly. Also, I am using arch linux.
m
l
a b 5 Linux
February 8, 2011 4:20:54 PM

Crazy Hitchhiker said:
Quote:

I'm currently using xfce4 as a de on a machine with similar specifications. You should be able to run it quite smoothly. Also, I am using arch linux.

I'm not saying that it can't be done. I would just reserve as much memory as possible if it were to be used as a server-type application. XFCE or LXDE would run fine on it I'm sure.
m
l
a b 5 Linux
February 8, 2011 6:21:03 PM

Gas104 said:
I have a Compaq ap400
It Has 650 MB of ram
AGP VGA card
2 P2 400 MHz Processors
3 GB hard drive (SCSI)
IDE Cd drive
3.5 floppy

What kind of linux can i put on here?

You can put any i686 Linux you want on there, you have enough RAM and CPU to run most any modern Linux distribution. It won't run particularly quickly, but it will run. However, you should be mindful of what programs you install as a 3 GB HDD is pretty small and an everything-and-the-kitchen-sink installation will take up more than 3 GB of space.

I suppose a more important question is, "What do you want to do with this machine?" That would be a bigger guiding factor than anything.

Emerald and Pyroflea
Being able to run a router or file server on that machine might be dicey. Chances are it's a 440BX chipset in that machine and that means you have a single 32-bit/33 MHz PCI bus to work with. That's going to be a big bottleneck as you have roughly 100 MB/sec of bandwidth to share between the NIC(s) and disk controller. That means you can't do better than about 50 MB/sec speeds for file transfers or 1 Gbps in aggregate Ethernet throughput. That may be enough for you, but it also might not be. You can get old P4 Xeon motherboard on eBay for $20 or so that have multiple independent 64-bit, 100 or 133 MHz PCI-X buses that can push hundreds of MB/sec in throughput, so just some food for thought.
m
l
February 9, 2011 12:32:03 PM

I was going to say Redhat... then i seen 3GB.
An idea of what your going to do with it will point us in the right direction.
m
l
February 9, 2011 1:34:06 PM

Dont Worry about HDD space.
m
l
!