Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Installing from thumb drive

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
January 28, 2011 12:43:35 PM

Hi all,

I got myself into a pickle. I bought a new machine minus DVD player thinking I would use my old DVD player. Sadly, after putting it together I realized I have no IDE plug on the mobo, didn't realize DVD players had moved to SATA too. I did managed to boot up my machine using a thumb drive with Debian live but am unsure how to get an install onto my hard drivers. I'd like to put an iso on the thumb drive but it requires linux to install the iso properly (see http://linux.koolsolutions.com/2009/02/25/installing-li...) and I only have Windows on my wife's computer. Is it possible to put the iso on the thumb drive from Windows and still have it work? I don't see why this should be linux specific. Anyway, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

More about : installing thumb drive

January 28, 2011 1:38:57 PM

I'd suggest buying an IDE->SATA converter, but having just bought a new DVD writer from Amazon for £13 that's the cheaper option. Treat yourself - it's always useful to have a DVD writer and for that sort of money you can't go wrong.
m
l
January 28, 2011 3:07:01 PM

Ijack said:
I'd suggest buying an IDE->SATA converter, but having just bought a new DVD writer from Amazon for £13 that's the cheaper option. Treat yourself - it's always useful to have a DVD writer and for that sort of money you can't go wrong.

Yeah, I'll buy one for sure but that could take days. I want to install tonight! :) 
m
l
Related resources
January 28, 2011 4:01:10 PM

Don't need to buy the DVD player. There is a windows utility designed for this. I think pendrivelinux.com has it. I'm on my cell and can't look it up. Ill find it after work.
m
l
January 28, 2011 4:24:02 PM

Thanks Somone19. I used their utility for creating my Live USB but wasn't aware they had one for ISOs. I'll try this out tonight.
m
l
January 28, 2011 10:41:11 PM

griztown said:
Thanks Somone19. I used their utility for creating my Live USB but wasn't aware they had one for ISOs. I'll try this out tonight.

You can use it to install almost any bootable .iso onto the thumbdrive. Then use it to boot your machine. Almost everyone's livecd can also be used to install the system.
m
l
January 29, 2011 6:18:27 PM

someone19 said:
You can use it to install almost any bootable .iso onto the thumbdrive. Then use it to boot your machine. Almost everyone's livecd can also be used to install the system.

So how do you use the live cd to install the system?
m
l
January 29, 2011 6:25:58 PM

Most live CDs or DVDs have an "Install to hard disk" option somewhere; either in the boot menu or as a link on the Desktop.
m
l
January 30, 2011 2:44:09 PM

Ijack said:
Most live CDs or DVDs have an "Install to hard disk" option somewhere; either in the boot menu or as a link on the Desktop.

Yeah, I think I downloaded the wrong img. Will try again with a new live cd.
m
l
January 31, 2011 12:53:07 AM

I never could find an img with the ability to install nor was I able to find anything on pendrivelinux.com. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.
m
l

Best solution

January 31, 2011 7:12:06 AM

The Mandriva Live CD has the option to install to a hard disk.
February 5, 2011 1:13:00 PM

Best answer selected by griztown.
m
l
!