Motherboard drivers with Linux

widgetguy_th

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I just purchased a Biostar A780L3L AM3 motherboard and am planning to put together a cheap computer that is mostly for browsing the internet. Part of my money-saving plan is using a free Linux operating system instead of Windows 7 so I can save about $100.

I have very little experience with Linux, but a little experience putting new computers together. My main concern at this point is whether I can find the proper drivers to run all the features on my new motherboard. Usually a CD comes with a motherboard that has all the drivers + a few useful programs. I'm worried that the CD will be useless on Linux since they're generally made for Windows.

Has anyone got any experience installing Linux on new computers? If I need to go online first and download drivers from a website, I'd like to be prepared before I actully finish building the PC.

Thanks.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
There shouldn't be an issue. Linux has a large amount of drivers available by default. Most of the time it will install them automatically when you install updates. I've yet to have an issue with this; every computer I've installed Linux on has just worked flawlessly.

If the drivers aren't included, it will be necessary to look for them online. You are correct in saying that the CD will be useless, as it contains Windows drivers.

It will also depend which distribution you go with, as some have better support than others.

Good luck :)

widgetguy_th

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Thank you. I will consider using Linux as the sole OS on the system. The computer will be set up for wireless internet since my router will be downstairs. I'm going to look online for the proper wireless USB adapter drivers.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Wireless chipsets tend to be the pickiest bit of hardware when it comes to Linux. make sure to do a bit of research and find an adapter with a well supported chipset. There's lots out there, as more and more support is becoming available over time.

Good luck :)

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Just a FYI - USB wireless adapters seem to be the hardest to get working on linux, I'd stay away from those. Most others should have some level of support. Check the forums for your chosen distribution to see if your choice of wireless or other hardware is known to have problems.

The motherboard hardware should just work however. If it doesn't at the worst case you'll have to get the latest kernel sources and build your own kernel. There are numerous guides on the 'net on how to do this, but I doubt it'll be necessary.

widgetguy_th

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I installed Linux on my old computer which is using a wireless USB adapter and it seems to be working fine. Since I'll be transferring that adapter to the new one, I guess everything will work out. Thx.