Sign in with
Your question

Audigy Platinum vs. DS3 On-board sound

Last response: in Components
May 17, 2007 12:41:31 AM

So I recently build a rig with:
Gigabyte DS3, C2D 6400, 2 gig RAM, 8800 GTS 320MB, etc

I have an old Audigy Platinum that is still in my old computer that I do not use. Here is the first article I could find on the Audigy Plat: (http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=audigypl...)

My question is whether it is worth putting this in the new computer? The only reason I could fathom doing it is
1) if it would offload any audio processing from the CPU
2) if the sound quality is that much better than the on-board

I use this computer mainly for gaming, some dled TV watching and minimal music listening.

Computer Audio is an area where I do not know much at all. So any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
~Dave
May 17, 2007 1:27:40 AM

Yes it will sound a lot better. I don't know a lot about it offloading things but I'm sure you may geta few FPS more.
May 17, 2007 1:48:30 AM

It will definitely sound a lot better, no question there, in both the sound quality and especially the soundstage. It should also reduce the CPU load a bit, although it may not be a noticeable amount.

I've had an old sound blaster live laying around for a few years, and I decided to pop it into my computer about a week ago just to compare it to the onboard, and it was a world of difference over the realtek onboard. So I'm gonna definitely be looking into something a bit better.
Related resources
May 17, 2007 1:50:20 AM

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I guess the fact that the sound card is almost 5 years old irked me and I though that maybe just maybe onboard sound might have caught up. Thanks again.
May 17, 2007 2:15:24 AM

If there's two things that there absolute no way I regret buying they're my Audigy 2 ZS and my Raptor. Both have been superior than any onboard audio or standard HDD and they're both creeping up on being 4 years old. Great investments.
!