Can I use a beta build (i.e. Whistler) as my primary computer OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homers

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012
Hi all. I currently have a computer with no OS. I've tried and love several Windows Whistler builds. I have a installation ISO of some builds and I'd like to install one on that PC to use as a semi-everyday computer. Is it OK if I do that? I have some questions though:

1. For example, if I'm downloading WinRAR or whatever, it may ask me to choose the OS of my PC, like XP or 7 etc., but because Whistler is not a final version OS, it's not listed, so what do I choose? (I think 2000 because when you go to 'My Computer > Properties', it says 'Windows 2000 Professional' in Whistler, but I have never downloaded anything on a Whistler before so I don't know)

2. Also, will my hardware work on it? I have several peripherals that are compatible with Windows 2000, but as stated above, is Whistler based on 2000? So should they work?

3. Do you think that there will be many bugs in it (since it's a beta) and that I should be worried? If yes, any way to fix the bugs?

The OS I'm most likely going to install is Whistler build 2267. My PC is meets the recommended requirements so don't ask.

I would not do it for several reasons:

It is not legal; the time period has expired for those builds.

Those are early XP builds and will have many (if not more) security holes.

You will not be able to ally security updates.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
The only honest difference between Windows 2000 and the Pre-Beta releases of Whistler are very small pieces of code and the UI.

Choose Windows 2000 as XP is a redesigned base and might not be fully compatible with any drivers or software that work for XP. There will be bugs, it's a pre-beta version and I have encountered my share of miniscule bugs as I am currently in the process of making a video to show the progression of Windows Whistler from build 2202 to RTM 2600.

Like PhilFrisbie said, these builds do have security holes but I wouldn't be worried as many of these holes are effected only by malware/worms of it's time such as NIMDA or Code Red that are now extinct in the wild.

In short, you can use Windows Whistler as an OS by itself on a single desktop but I would not recommend it. I would put it on a partition with a more stable OS such as XP or 2000/NT 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.