Component switcher

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
December 28, 2004 2:12:51 PM

I run my DVD player into my HDTV ... my son also wants to run his Xbox
into the same component jacks. To do this he must take my cables out and
amd put his cables in. My question ... is there a switch box available
where we can pulig both sets of cables in and one set out into the TV
.... so that when my son is done with his Xbox a switch can be thrown
instead of unplugging and plugging back in? If this exists ... where
caould I find it?
Thanks
jb

More about : component switcher

December 28, 2004 4:51:23 PM

Most mid-high range A/V receivers at BestBuy and such switch
component. There are component switchers available but not
inexpensive(only cheap). IMO
Clay
"jb" <jb@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> I run my DVD player into my HDTV ... my son also wants to run his
Xbox
> into the same component jacks. To do this he must take my cables out
and
> amd put his cables in. My question ... is there a switch box
available
> where we can pulig both sets of cables in and one set out into the
TV
> ... so that when my son is done with his Xbox a switch can be thrown
> instead of unplugging and plugging back in? If this exists ... where
> caould I find it?
> Thanks
> jb
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 4:56:57 PM

In <TcbAd.6253$_X7.4656@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com> jb wrote:
> I run my DVD player into my HDTV ... my son also wants to run his Xbox
> into the same component jacks. To do this he must take my cables out
> and amd put his cables in. My question ... is there a switch box
> available where we can pulig both sets of cables in and one set out
> into the TV .... so that when my son is done with his Xbox a switch
> can be thrown instead of unplugging and plugging back in? If this
> exists ... where caould I find it? Thanks jb

JVC makes a passive selector for about $60. I have an $80 Pelican 8
system selector that works good with no signal degradation. The nice
thing about the pelican is that it has 4 optical audio inputs. You can
get it at Gamestop, which has a good exchange policy in case you happen
to get one that is a piece of junk. My only beef is that the thing is
powered but has no remote.
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801668
December 28, 2004 7:01:07 PM

jb <jb@prodigy.net> wrote:

>I run my DVD player into my HDTV ... my son also wants to run his Xbox
>into the same component jacks. To do this he must take my cables out and
>amd put his cables in. My question ... is there a switch box available
>where we can pulig both sets of cables in and one set out into the TV
>... so that when my son is done with his Xbox a switch can be thrown
>instead of unplugging and plugging back in? If this exists ... where
>caould I find it?
>Thanks
>jb

The cheapest way to do this I've seen is the MadCatz 6132 MAD
Universal Component Video Selector. Under $20 if you shop around.
Four sets of component and L-R analog audio inputs. One output with a
switch. A really oddball design: the inputs are on a block with a 3'
cable to the output and switch.

Their site isn't responding at the moment, but this link should work
when it's back up:
http://www.madcatz.com/MadCatz/product_details.jsp?prod...

Del Mibbler <mibbler@nycap.rr.com>
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 7:36:43 PM

"Michael Lankton" <mlankton@spymac.com> wrote in message
> In <TcbAd.6253$_X7.4656@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com> jb wrote:
>> I run my DVD player into my HDTV ... my son also wants to run his Xbox
>> into the same component jacks. To do this he must take my cables out
>> and amd put his cables in. My question ... is there a switch box
>> available where we can pulig both sets of cables in and one set out
>> into the TV .... so that when my son is done with his Xbox a switch
>> can be thrown instead of unplugging and plugging back in? If this
>> exists ... where caould I find it? Thanks jb
>>

> JVC makes a passive selector for about $60. I have an $80 Pelican 8
> system selector that works good with no signal degradation. The nice
> thing about the pelican is that it has 4 optical audio inputs. You can
> get it at Gamestop, which has a good exchange policy in case you happen
> to get one that is a piece of junk. My only beef is that the thing is
> powered but has no remote.
> http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801668

I was going to get a Pelican System Selector Pro, but can anyone provide
some feedback on its bandwidth based on the following review? (link below)
Thanks.

http://www.video-storm.com/testdata/pelican_review.htm
"Bandwidth is sufficient for 480p, but not for HDTV."
December 28, 2004 11:55:56 PM

"jb" <jb@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> I run my DVD player into my HDTV ... my son also wants to run his Xbox
> into the same component jacks. To do this he must take my cables out and
> amd put his cables in. My question ... is there a switch box available
> where we can pulig both sets of cables in and one set out into the TV
> ... so that when my son is done with his Xbox a switch can be thrown
> instead of unplugging and plugging back in? If this exists ... where
> caould I find it?
> Thanks
> jb

Sure. There are many switch boxes out there, along with many prices for
them...

Is it just the video that you have swap out each time? Prior to getting an
HDMI-DVI cable, I was also in the same situation -- being forced to always
physically swap out an Xbox component connection with the cable company's
STB. (Particular HDTV has 2 component connections, HDMI, and a bunch of
composite/S-video connections. One of components is being used for a 480p
DVD player, other for cable. Main reason I got an HDMI-DVI cable ($8.50 at
monoprice.com) was to free up a set of component inputs.)

Anyway, audio wasn't a problem as that is going to a DD5.1/DTS receiver --
which has plenty of fiber inputs. My solution for swapping between the
Xbox's and cable's component cables will make many people's skin cringe but
it worked just fine. I simply just used a $5 composite A/B switch box from
Radio Shack. No loss in PQ going through it either.

Remote for a switch box? You have to get up off the couch to change discs,
anyway. Takes less than a second to slap "A" or "B"... :^)
December 29, 2004 12:09:17 AM

> I was going to get a Pelican System Selector Pro, but can anyone provide
> some feedback on its bandwidth based on the following review? (link below)
> Thanks.
>
> http://www.video-storm.com/testdata/pelican_review.htm
> "Bandwidth is sufficient for 480p, but not for HDTV."

Humorous as to how more complex and active these switchboxes are, the more
signal degradation becomes a factor.

I was using a $5, small, passive (simply just physically changes the
electrical path when "A" or "B" is selected), *composite* A/B box from Radio
Shack to be able to swap between two component feeds. No loss in PQ, even
at 1080i.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 6:42:43 AM

In <41d1fb0c_5@127.0.0.1> text-west.newsfeeds.com wrote:

> I was going to get a Pelican System Selector Pro, but can anyone
> provide some feedback on its bandwidth based on the following review? (
> link below) Thanks.
>
> http://www.video-storm.com/testdata/pelican_review.htm
> "Bandwidth is sufficient for 480p, but not for HDTV."

I wouldn't run my cable box through it but it works great for dvd and
game consoles. On the other hand, my wife's Xbox Sims Bustin' Out game
is 720p, and it looks great running through the pelican.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 11:55:16 AM

Eric wrote:

> I was using a $5, small, passive (simply just physically changes the
> electrical path when "A" or "B" is selected), *composite* A/B box from Radio
> Shack to be able to swap between two component feeds. No loss in PQ, even
> at 1080i.

The noise level of a switch is a damned sight lower than active
components. Odd how that works.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
December 29, 2004 2:26:16 PM

"Matthew L. Martin" <nothere@notnow.never> wrote
> > I was using a $5, small, passive (simply just physically changes the
> > electrical path when "A" or "B" is selected), *composite* A/B box from
Radio
> > Shack to be able to swap between two component feeds. No loss in PQ,
even
> > at 1080i.
> >

> The noise level of a switch is a damned sight lower than active
> components. Odd how that works.
>
> Matthew

Yep. Sometimes less is more. :^)

Just threw this out since it may be the simple solution the original poster
was looking for. He/she didn't seem to be looking for a
multi-component/remote-controlled/coffee-making switch, but rather just
something to keep his/her son from wearing down the TV's component jacks...
December 29, 2004 2:58:01 PM

Am I correct that a composite A/B box will just have 3 ports? (red, white,
yellow) And so you just use these for the component cables (red, green,
blue). How do you then switch the component device's audio along with it?
Do you use 2 composite A/B boxes, one for video, one for audio?

"Eric" <none@nospam.not> wrote in message
>> I was going to get a Pelican System Selector Pro, but can anyone provide
>> some feedback on its bandwidth based on the following review? (link
>> below)
>> Thanks.
>>
>> http://www.video-storm.com/testdata/pelican_review.htm
>> "Bandwidth is sufficient for 480p, but not for HDTV."
>
> Humorous as to how more complex and active these switchboxes are, the more
> signal degradation becomes a factor.
>
> I was using a $5, small, passive (simply just physically changes the
> electrical path when "A" or "B" is selected), *composite* A/B box from
> Radio
> Shack to be able to swap between two component feeds. No loss in PQ, even
> at 1080i.

Anonymous
December 29, 2004 4:09:00 PM

Matthew L. Martin (nothere@notnow.never) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> The noise level of a switch is a damned sight lower than active
> components. Odd how that works.

That's why all of the best remote control component switches are *loud*.
All they do is flip relays to change signal paths, with no active
components in the path.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Dilbert/ActualCode.gif
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 11:37:17 PM

No, that is a composite switcher. While it may work for switching component
video (some people say they work fine), you are correct in realizing there
would be no audio switching.

The good component switchers have SPDIF audio also, either wired or optical.

--Dan

"dreamer" <dreamer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Am I correct that a composite A/B box will just have 3 ports? (red, white,
> yellow) And so you just use these for the component cables (red, green,
> blue). How do you then switch the component device's audio along with it?
> Do you use 2 composite A/B boxes, one for video, one for audio?
December 29, 2004 11:37:18 PM

====================
> I was using a $5, small, passive (simply just physically changes the
> electrical path when "A" or "B" is selected), *composite* A/B box from
> Radio
> Shack to be able to swap between two component feeds. No loss in PQ, even
> at 1080i.

From what I understand in the post above he is talking about a composite A/B
box that he uses to switch between two component feeds with no loss in PQ.
I was wondering how the audio is handled on such a switch when using
component feeds.
December 29, 2004 11:51:09 PM

> Am I correct that a composite A/B box will just have 3 ports? (red, white,
> yellow) And so you just use these for the component cables (red, green,
> blue). How do you then switch the component device's audio along with it?
> Do you use 2 composite A/B boxes, one for video, one for audio?

Yep. There were two sets of composite inputs (yellow, red, white) and one
set of composite output.

I only needed to switch between two component video (red, blue, green). I
didn't need to switch audio as my DD5.1/DTS receiver has several fiber audio
inputs.
December 30, 2004 1:32:12 AM

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:58:01 -0800, "dreamer" <dreamer@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Am I correct that a composite A/B box will just have 3 ports? (red, white,
>yellow) And so you just use these for the component cables (red, green,
>blue).

That's exactly what I have, except it has 3 inputs (3x3) so it's
really an A/B/C box.

>blue). How do you then switch the component device's audio along with it?
>Do you use 2 composite A/B boxes, one for video, one for audio?

Since I have all the audio going into my Audio Receiver, I have to
switch the audio source there as well.
!