Purchase help 8800 VS 2900

honor

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2005
Need help deciding what card to get. For the past 5 months I have been waiting for the 2900 to come out and destroy Nvidia and have the throne once again…… but as we all know this did just not happen. Does anyone really think drivers will improve the performance to the 8800 level? Also take into consideration the 2900 is half the price of the 8800 ultra is it still worth it. Post what card you would get. :D

Periander

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
I'd get a GTS/320 or a GTX. Those offer the best price/performance. As for R600 drivers, don't expect miracles. DAAMIT has had months of delays to play with the drivers. Its problems are fundamental.

TonyStark

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Actually the 8800GTS and 2900XT are pretty much neck and neck. A difference of 3-4 frames per second for either card is hardly noticeable.

The XT even beats the GTX in some (rare) occasions while getting its ass kicked by the older x1950xtx on others. This to me shows that the card has some serious potential but is being held back by poor drivers.

The 8800's have been out for over 6 months though and have better driver support etc ...

Having said that, I would personally buy an 8800GTS 320MB since I game at 1680x1050. At that resolution it performs as good as its 640MB brother, while being about $100 cheaper.

I think choosing between the XT and 640MB GTS is a gamble at this point.

I don't know, I personally think that ATI just screwed up the drivers. In some games, it beats the 8800GTX, in others it is clobbered by the 8800GTS 320. Sounds like drivers to me. Best price vs perform is the 320, but I would suggest waiting, new 2900 drivers are due out soon.

Sure drivers are going to help, just look at the GF8800 series improvement thanks to their many driver revisions, performance went up about 20-25% in many areas (some of the reviews using similar systems for the G80 and R600 launches are testament to this).

However I wouldn't bank on it everywhere. There are somethings that are obviously not working well in reviews, and those will likely be addressed by driver improvements, but then there's other areas that seem to scale and react properly, those are unlikely to see drastic improvements. The thing is that the early tests are all over the map, with the HD2900XT beating the GTX in some 'specific' games and areas. So there's obviously alot more to this than the early handfull of benchmarks of the 5 major games people benchmark. One of big areas of performance problems is the shader-core based AA and mediocre AF performance. It's not known how mcuh this can be improved upon, or if there are fundementally broken parts to it.

ATi's history of driver improvements usually focus on better memory management, but non of the tests seem to be bandwidth limited (not surprising with 512MB), so unless they re truely being held back by a global issue/bug there should only be improvements to ensure full utilization at first, then after that expect a few percentage per driver update like happened with the G80.

I would wait until the first official update driver and see what the next few days brings to see what happens after all the hulla-baloo, but other then that, find the games you like and buy the card that's the best match.

To me the speed of ATi's response to the Frozen Panet demo will also be an interesting test, since unlike the other titles they claim to not have had much exposure to this, so it should give people and idea of how well they trouble shoot a 'performance bug' of noticeable magnitude (still not as bad as if Oblivion, WOW or FEAR, didn't work, but big enough and a good start point to see a fix in action).

I think youre going to see drivers help this card alot in certain games, others, not so sure, reguarding the 2900. The GTX is more expensive, the GTS640 is priced similar. At the end of the day? I think the GTX comes down some in price, not too much. The GTS640, a lil more than the rebates you see now and the 2900 as well, around 325-350 best. But thats best pricing and a bit away from now. What would I do? Depending on how much longer Ill want to wait. Im planning on waiting just to see how these cards react to DX10. If this first gen doesnt cut it, Ill wait til the next, tho the 2950 looks extremly tempting IF what it CAN bring also delivers. For DX9, Id spend the money in a lil while, and buy a GTX. For as to the future, which is my choice as I wait, who knows. Time will tell

Oh yeah, I'm not expecting miracles, but I'd expect the drivers to improve the 2900 to where it should be, inbetween the GTS640 and the GTX. I also have seen the AA and AF glitches, hopefully they will improve some, but I'm not expecting miracles. At any rate, it will seem awesome to me compared to my current 6800GT SLI rig. :lol:

The 320 is still the best price vs perform, but I had $400 burning a hole in my pocket and I wanted to help fund the competition.