Motherboard IDE drivers

pmcjury

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
First sorry if this is the wrong area to post this in, it looked pretty close to me.

I am looking to build a new computer with some parts salvaged from my old dell. I was looking at this motherboard Abit IB9. Most of the newegg reviews talk about the lack of IDE drivers during a windows install. Could I just add the to the windows install with something like NLite, or do I really have a floppy and do the whole f6 thing during setup

uri

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
I haven't used this specific MB but I can't see a reason why you'll have problem installing Windows normally one the IDE drive. just make sure you configure the BIOS correctly (you can determine whether the SATA or IDE controller is the primary)

I've used Abit boards for years and they are great.

BTW: at worst case scenario you can use disk-on-key to boot from no need for a floppy drive.

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Hi,
ABit IB9 uses the Intel P965 chipset. You cannot install the OS on an IDE harddisk - it must be a SATA harddisk.
All the floppy disks and F6-pushing in the world will not help!
Regards

pmcjury

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
All I have is sata hard drives so i am not worried about that, but I only have IDE optical drives, so I was just worried about being able to boot from those to start the install process

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
Hi,
ABit IB9 uses the Intel P965 chipset. You cannot install the OS on an IDE harddisk - it must be a SATA harddisk.
but it has an ITE brand addon IDE controller - you should be able to install Windows to an IDE drive on it by providing Windows with a driver for the controller for it during install as you can on other P965s.

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
...as you can on other P965s.
That's news to me - I can't do that on my AB9 (for example). It's SATA or nothing.
The add-on IDE controller works just fine for starting up a new rig from the optical drive, to install an OS however...
You just can't install IDE Windows!
You F6 and supply driver; install proceeds and you think you have it beat; then first reboot (after much time invested) and 'Windows cannot find System Drive'.
I desired simply a 2GB (FAT) multiboot partition on IDE, with my main OS on SATA Raptor - but no way, Jose...
Ah, well. (progress :^)
L8R lads

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
you can on the AB9 QuadGT & the 965P-DS4 that I had before.
I would suggest that either you aren't configuring it right or you have a faulty mobo.