Had a power outage and now my harddisk has to be scanned at bootup

KatanaBob

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2005
I didn't really know where to post this, so forgive me if it is in the wrong section.

So I left my computer on the other night to let it download some big patches and stuff. As I woke up in the morning and turned on the computer (I set my download manager to automatically shutdown the computer once downloads are complete), I find that my harddisk has to be scanned for any errors.

Turns out, there was a power outage during the night. Now, all would be fine and dandy if I only had to scan the harddisk once, but alas, that was not to be. It now wants to scan the harddisk at every bootup, which is really annoying as it takes a while to scan. Sure I have 10 seconds to abort the scan, but I'm getting worried that something's wrong, and I don't want to stand around every time I boot up just to make sure it doesn't scan.

It's the sort of scan that pops up after the windows logo is done loading. There's a blue background and stuff. Anyone recognize it?

Any solution to make it stop wanting to scan my harddisks? Or is there perhaps something wrong with my harddisk(s)?

KatanaBob

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2005

Yes. Disabling virtual memory on the harddisk was, in itself, not the solution. But it allowed running chkdsk in windows in a command prompt (which wasn't allowed if virtual memory of the harddisk in question was activated).

Basically Chkdsk didn't seem to work at bootup, but running chkdsk in windows seems to work. When the scan was complete, the harddisk was no longer tagged as "dirty".

So in short I reenabled virtual memory after the scan, restarted and everything was back to normal! :D