Sign in with
Your question

Ubuntu/Windows XP issue

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
February 11, 2011 2:53:30 PM

I have an older PC, okay very old PC. It has Ubuntu on it. It had not been turned on in years and had a lot of updates. Once I did that, it got messed up and would not work again. It now has an error of sorts (it's not turned on so I'm not sure what it is, can provide later if needed). I would like to put a basic copy of windows xp on it so I can use the PC for the kids and for netflix to the TV, and to hook up the Nintendo DS's. If I put any disk in the cdrom, it doesn't do anything. I even tried to put old Ubuntu in to revert back to when it was working. I have very little knowledge of Ubuntu an old friend that I no longer am in contact with used to help me and was teaching me. NOW if the issue is fixable and will still let me do all the things I want to do, I don't have a problem keep the Ubuntu on there as you get many great games for kids. If possible could I get an alert via email that there is a response to my posting? Thanks in advance for everything!

More about : ubuntu windows issue

February 11, 2011 9:16:49 PM

I would help others to keep this in the forums.
hardware? Look at n=motherboard and there should be alphanumeric identification.
year of ubuntu or version, if remebered?
what happens when you hit delete or other key to get into the BIOS?
February 16, 2011 7:21:06 PM

I have a cd with 7.04, that is probably what was on there before the update, or it could have been even before that version. What is n=motherboard? I just turned old PC on and it now says disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter. If I put the 7.04 disk in and press enter nothing happens.
Related resources
February 16, 2011 7:22:48 PM

I forgot second half of what you posted. I can hit delete and it will take me to the bios.
February 16, 2011 11:07:05 PM

In the bios you should be able to set a boot device priority. Set that to the CDROM and boot off the disk you have. After you do the install, make sure to go back into the bios and set the boot priority back the way it is now.

February 17, 2011 12:25:06 AM

"What is n=motherboard?" oops! a typo. Motherboard is labeled on the board itself -- I think this will help if you contnue to have difficulties.

I you are able to boot to CD, as changing Boot Order in BIOS allows, then you can install an ISO file from CD (i.e. and operating System)!

If not, come back here and tell us what is happening.
February 17, 2011 12:47:15 AM

I am completely lost by what you have posted. SOMEWHERE else on this crazy board, my question is posted and I posted ALLLLL the info I have on the PC. IDK if there is anyway for you to find the other post by me or not. If you find it you will find all I know about the PC.
February 21, 2011 11:13:04 PM

gyspygirl said:
I am completely lost by what you have posted. SOMEWHERE else on this crazy board, my question is posted and I posted ALLLLL the info I have on the PC. IDK if there is anyway for you to find the other post by me or not. If you find it you will find all I know about the PC.

I found it then lost it, but did manage to pull the following info on it --

From what I can gather looking at mobo specs, this is a PIII with 512MB PC133 SDRAM -- max!

Biggest current limit on your system is the RAM -- Get two 256MB sticks of PC133 or some like combo (I once had a similar board that took more).

I found a User's Manual here: http://www.unitycorp.co.jp/support/download/manual/370/...

Mob link here: http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/motherboards_d/ASUS/T...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recommend first putting as much RAM into it as you can easily find, up to 512MB, then use the BIOS to Detect Drive and choose the best functional hard drive and use it only for now (uninstall the other one I think you said could not be detected).

You need a i486 distro to begin with for install, like
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=crunchbang
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=antix
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=zenwalk
just click on the i486 link to find a download

Once the ISO file is downloaded, either burn to CD or follow instructions at CrunchBang for USB install.
February 22, 2011 1:55:49 PM

Thank you for your recent post. Things are busy and tied up with my regular PC, and the warmer weather (outside work). I will re-read all that you guys have posted at my next chance to work on the dinosaur. I am open to all the info anyone can provide. Thank you everyone.
February 24, 2011 3:25:56 AM

Here is a re-post of PC info. I've not had any luck finding memory. I live a very small city and most of it is old people and snowbirds (people who come here just for the winter because it's too cold where they are from). I also do not have extra cash laying around to pay the price at a pc store.

Okay, it is a custom built PC. It is an ASUS MB, that is 10-12 yrs old. I see a long bar code sticker on the MB the number is as follows : 00(may be OO not 00) MS1 198032-M6PGZ5-B11-07295 000 or OOO

It has 2 HDD, one for sure is a Seagate Barracude ATA IV, that is all I can see without taking the screws out.

I'm guessing its an intel processor because that is what the sticker on the fan says.

It has two RAM sticks, room for 1 more, it is 64 PC133 is one and the other is PC100 256

I just rebooted and it says Award Medallion BIOS v6.0, An Energy Star Ally Blah blah blah (you know what I mean)

ASUS TUSL2-C ACPI BIOS Revision 1009

Intel Celeron 11oo Mnz
Memory Test: 327680K OK

Award Plug and Play BIOS Extension v1.0A
Initialize Plug and Play Cards...
PNP Init Completed

Trend ChiAway Virus (R) On Guard

Detecting Primary Master ST320011A
" " Slave None
Detecting Secondary Master LITE-ON CD-RW SOHR-5238S
" " Slave None

Primary master drive fails
Floppy disk0s) fail (40)

Press f1 to continue, DEL to enter SETUP
08/03/2001-I815EP-TUSL2-C

If I press F1 I get a screen with a box and it says things like
Dieskette Drive A: 1.44, 3.5 in.
Diskette Drive B: None
(and so on and so forth, the norm, unless you want all that too)
Then under the box it says
PCI device listing ....
and has a listing of tiems and numbers
Then under that is says DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

If I try to put the Ubuntu 7.04 in it does nothing. This pc had 7.04 V or mabye even before that.

If I press delete it takes me to BIOS and I can provide that later if you need it. I hope this is helpful. Many thanks to all.

Okay, next bit of info. I sat down and re-read all that was posted and now have my head wrapped around it. I found the boot area under the bios. I put the CD rom in place number 1. (oddly floppy was 1st). I put cd in before I even changed the bios so that when I did it would already be in there. No matter what I did, it did not load off the cd. What ended up happening oddly was, it lead me back to my original error message. Here it is as follows:

[ 0.685837] kernal panic-not syncing:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)

Since the pc is not loading off the cd I just left it in 1st place for now. I made notes as to what goes where, and will change it back if I need to (someone will need to tell me LOL). OH and second hdd is just under the other one and I can't read it without taking it out. If you do want the info on it. I will unscrew it and let you know.

I also am sorry this post is not where it should be. I had a lot of PC issues the day I signed up for this. My normal newer but still old PC (5 yrs old, again another custom built) is having all sorts of issues too (will it ever end!) I just need to keep track of this post in one place. I am not used to message boards. I really appreciate all the help!
February 24, 2011 11:43:58 PM

Well now, that solves all right there, the hard drive is bad. Its possible that a connector has loosened and needs to be reseated, but I doubt it. I think she's given up the ghost.

Wait, I just read things and you have two hard drives in the pc? Have the harddrives been used together before, and have they been jumpered for proper master / slave orientation?

Try unplugging the wide ribbon cable from the second hard drive and see if the system is able to recognize the one hard drive.
February 25, 2011 1:37:06 AM

Sure glad that gibberish made sense to you! LOL There is two hdd and it was put together by a friend who knows pc's in and out etc. He is the one who got me using the linux/ubuntu. But I don't know ding about it! LOL I have not opened this pc until they asked for more info on here. It was up and running, I updated and the pc went bananas and I was left with a kernal message. I can not tell you if they are set up properly, I can just assume so since the pc ran before the update. I had not turned it on for a couple years and was guna toy with it and use it for Netflix cuz it's not good for much :)  Maybe a boat anchor LOL So of course it wanted to update. I did so and kaplooey! Thanks I'll see what I can do about messing with the hdd tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted. Thank you so much to you all!
February 25, 2011 1:51:17 AM

I think you witnessed its soul lofting upwardly, but good luck. You might be able to find older hard drives online, but they're getting hard to find.
February 25, 2011 7:43:21 AM

gypsygirl said, " . . . the pc ran before the update" (From ubuntu 7.04 to 10.04, I'll assume).

This leads me to believe a) it is not so much a hard drive problem (although it could be contributing) as it is a kernel was installed that the old hardware cannot handle; b) she still has a funtional machine; c) one of the i486 distros mentioned in an earlier post is needed until RAM is upgraded; and d) hard drives should be wiped clean individually before attempting to use them again.

You also said, " . . . and use it for Netflix cuz it's not good for much."
This site -- http://how-to.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_watch_Netflix_%28Wa... -- says, "So the only way I have found to watch Netflix in Linux is by running a virtual machine." And the old TUSL2 and Tualatin Celeron cannot run virtual. They WILL however let you surf the web if set up properly . . .

(continued below the tech section)
=================================================================================
RE: Asus TUSL2-C motherboard

I. Apparently new around 2001, what the specs from motherboard tell is that the CPU is a Tualatin Celeron, capable of being overclocked and, therefore, came to the attention of gamers. SEE BELOW

"The last Asus board I had before this was a TUSL2-C, based on the 815E B-step chipset. That thing was a tank."

"The CUSL2 was an awesome board as well. I had that, and got the TUSL2-C later when I started reading about the Tualatin Celerons with the 256K cache getting 50% overclocks. I came close on mine. :)  Let's just say I had some pretty pissed friends that I was beating their P4 and Tbird setsups with a Celeron. :D +"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
II. It (the mobo) does not possess on-board grahpics -- a graphics card is needed, which is apparently installed. SEE BELOW

http://www.anandtech.com/show/806/2

i815 B-Step Tualatin Motherboard Roundup - July 2001
by Anand Lal Shimpi | 7/31/2001 2:24:44 AM

ASUS TUSL2-C: One major oversight

"If the market doesn’t care much about the platform, then why should ASUS spend much time in tweaking the design of an 815 B-step motherboard? The TUSL2-C, as the name implies, is a direct descendent of ASUS’ CUSL2 – their first i815 motherboard. The TUSL2-C is virtually identical to the CUSL2 with the exception that it uses a B-step version of the 815EP Memory Controller Hub (MCH) meaning that it has no integrated graphics."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
III. Gamers found the BIOS lacking and went to a lot of trouble ot tweak it.
SEE BELOW

BIOS Upgrade -- http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/tweak/i815twken.htm

It looks like you may need the floppy drive to make flashing the BIOS easier, if either this turns out to be a problem, or it proves to be needed in the future.
IV. RE: Error Message -- see http://kerneltrap.org/node/2318 -- it's a kernel error message or a GRUB error ramification at the boot stage.
V. Hard Drive = Barracuda ATA IV

Capacity: 20.0 GB | Speed: 7200 rpm | Average Read Time: 9 ms
Cylinders: 1023 | Heads: 256 | Sectors: 63
=================================================================================

BIOS is showing 320MB RAM, but you have a capacity of 512MB for the TUSL2-C mobo. This is okay, but will definitely slow down webpage loading. The max in PC133 RAM is preferred.

Q: Was the cdrom working before the attempted upgrade? If not, replace. It's key. One with IDE interface, like
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $17
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $17
is needed.

Get System Rescue CD 1.3.5 -- http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemrescuecd/files/sy... -- and burn at no more than 8X to CD or DVD. Boot to it. Hit the defaults (Enter) a few times. When at the page asking user to type either "wizard" or "startx" at the multi-colored prompt at bottom of page, enter this command at the prompt instead

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4096 conv=notrunc,sync

Do this one hard drive connected at a time (or just use the Barracuda) -- it will wipe them with zeros and will take a while. When some stats appear and something about "no room on device," type the "startx" command.

This will bring up the XFCE mouse and then a yellow-colored terminal. In the terminal, type in the command

gparted

Note how much space in on the drive in MB. 1024MB = 1GB. It's time to partition. Please write down how the hard drive is partitioned, noting details such as /dev/sda1, size, label (if any), where mounted (/ or /home or swap).

First create Partion Table. Right-click on Unallocated Space and choose "New", "Primary", "ext4," and " / " to create the Root partition at the beginning of the drive.

7168MB should be enough for either antiX-M8.5-i486 or CrunchBang-10-i486. Once three partitons are created on the hard drive, make certain to go back and enable the "boot" Flag on this partition (root) then refresh the display.

Next, click on the remainder of the Unallocated Space and create another New Primary, choose "swap" and make it 768MB; what's left will be New Primary ext4, and mounted at "/home".

Hit the green checkmark to write the new partition table then go back and make / (root) bootable with the "Manage Flags" menu already noted.

Place the install disk in the tray, type "init 6" at the prompt in the yellow-colored terminal, and a reboot will occur followed by the install.

At the Partition section of the install, choose "manual," then tell it to yes, use the partition, mount it where chosen in gparted, and format to the file system (ext4 or swap) chosen in gparted, for each of the three partitions. You will see them graphically, too. It's easy!

I have lots of old 164-pin SDRAM is you need. Old machines are what I restore with Linux and give away at cost. Most are donated. pane-free[at]pane-free.com

Have fun and don't give up! Soon your kids will be so good with Linux that you won't have to concern yourself with it again -- they'll gladly do the work and thank you for exposing them to it!
March 3, 2011 12:44:28 AM

Okay, so like WOW! That is A LOT to take in. But I am in a hotter mess LOL I did not come here and read and follow. So now I've taken the drives out, and disconnected the ribbon cable and messed with the jumper! I do believe the real issue is that the new kernal thing you mentioned is the issue. It worked 100% until it updated. I just need to get them back in the PC and hooked up properly. THEN if we could, put windows XP on it so I can watch the netflix. So if we can back this tank up and put the hdd's back in and set up right. One step at at time. I noticed tonight that the 2nd drive was not hooked up as slave on the ribbon cable, but did it fall off and I didn't notice? Or has it always been that way? SO I really can't say if it was set up as master and slave. I THOUGHT it was. Still no hands on any RAM. Parents are heading to Vegas for the couple days, I thought of hitting up freecycle for LV to see if anyone has any pcs they want to get rid of. Maybe on Craigs list too. I SO appreciate allllll you have shared! Thank you, thank you and thank you. (::) (::) (::)  have some cookies on me :) 

BTW, side note 2nd hdd is Western Digital and is STUCK in the pc because some idiot decided it needed screws on BOTH sides of the hdd. I can not get it out to read it very well. Also, no kids to do the PC work. I learn and do all my own work, then share it with others I come across.
March 4, 2011 9:19:34 AM

gyspygirl said:
. . . BTW, side note 2nd hdd is Western Digital and is STUCK in the pc because some idiot decided it needed screws on BOTH sides of the hdd. I can not get it out to read it very well. Also, no kids to do the PC work. I learn and do all my own work, then share it with others I come across.

My misunderstanding -- I thought you may have implied somewhere in one of your posts that you had children!

Ubuntu has left older computers by the roadside for dead in a conscious decision to promote only new hardware. This began with Maverick Meerkat (10.10). As a result of Canonical's decision, nobody can run computers such as yours with any 'buntu above the latest LTS version (10.04) -- the kernel will not support them. This is why your PC crashed.

In addition, my conscience does not allow me to help you any further, since you insist on using NetFlix. This requires Windows and I have taken a stand against using Windows. Examine the alternatives to this service, beginning here -- http://alternativeto.net/software/netflix/?platform=lin..., please.

Also, VLC will run most anything video you choose to throw at it (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/). But downloading it through your distro's repositories is preferred to installing the tarball or the deb.

Reconsider your choice to go with NetFlix. Should you choose to do the practical and go with a linux distro, I'll be glad to continue helping. If not, I am sure one of the gamers participating in this forum will help because they, too, have a disincentive to . . . Go Pane-Free! . . . because of their addiction.
March 4, 2011 1:34:23 PM

I already have Netflix, I PAY for Netflix, it can go on my Wii so my disabled father can watch it. It saves them $ over paying Direct TV for their re-runs on their movie channels. It's cheap. And we can order DVDs.My father has NO IDEA how to use a pc. He makes us buy him a newspaper so he can read the sports section instead of learning to use a computer and check it for free. :)  He is just one of those non techy people. He won't PLAY the wii, not even bowling because it confuses him as to when the push the buttons and stuff. :lol: 

Tis okay on the kids :) 

Windows is not my favorite, but it is basically all I know. I know linux is cool to have for a system but if anything goes wrong I have no way to fix it. My main PC that I am on is split with Windows/Ubuntu and it has had issues on both sides too. I've updated the Ubuntu and the next day my PC won't start at all, I get a black screen. I've managed twice to save the ONLY functioning PC I have after Ubuntu updates. Not that it is bad, but not everyone has a brand new PC. It shouldn't have you update if you have an older PC. OR if I had known that, I would not have updated. I never expected it to crash. All three of my PCs are older, so I'm kinda stuck where I'm at with all things. I can not afford to buy a new PC or I would have done that already.

Thank you for all you have shared and helped. I can only do what I can do. I have other people to think of besides myself.

March 4, 2011 11:30:54 PM

gyspygirl said:
I already have Netflix, . . . (ubuntu) shouldn't have you update if you have an older PC. OR if I had known that, I would not have updated. I never expected it to crash. All three of my PCs are older, so I'm kinda stuck where I'm at with all things. I can not afford to buy a new PC or I would have done that already.

Thank you for all you have shared and helped. I can only do what I can do. I have other people to think of besides myself.

This is why I am disappointed with ubuntu and won't use anything past 10.04, myself. One will notice that some formerly ubuntu-based distros have become Debian-based distros ( e.g. CrunchBang and Mint). Yes, it has turned into an estranged member of the Linux family for many, sad to say, due to arbitrary policies it has adopted.

I have had experiences different from many when it comes to the likes of MS and HP. I will not do business with them any longer because of them. Nonetheless . . .

I am glad to have been of some use and benefit to you, gypsygirl, along the road we all trudge. prayers and best wishes to you and your family!
!