/ Sign-up
Your question

ethernet booster or extender

  • Switch
  • Ethernet Card
  • Cable
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
July 13, 2007 10:09:38 PM

I am trying to replace what I believe to be an rj45 jack "module" that supposedly enhances or boosts the signal strength to get a longer distance in a cat5e cable. There is a patch cable from the switch to a wallplate with an rj45 jack in it. The cat5e cable runs roughly 400 to 500 ft. There is an wallplate at the other end that is identical to the one by the switch.

Any help would be appreciated.

More about : ethernet booster extender

July 17, 2007 5:01:51 PM

Well the spec for cat5e ethernet if I remember correctly is 328 ft. So your booster probably just adds power to the line like a switch or hub. If your trying to replace the jack your going to need your own special crimping tools although you can wikipedia the pin outs. Personally I would just mount a cheap switch or hub every 300 ft. If you don't have the tools or the knowhow to fix the booster either buy a new one or see if you can get someone to repair it for less than a new one.