New Radeon 4850 Vidio card and now no sound

Volcanicstrad37

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
I know the card comes with some sort of on board HD sound, so I thought nothing of it at first and went into my sound devices to change it back to my speakers. Only to realize that my only option was the HD sound that had a picture of the monitor. I tried plugging my speakers into both the front and back audio ports, but it still did not bring it up as an option for a sound device. If anyone can please walk me through what I need to do to get my sound back that would be great. Thanks

Volcanicstrad37

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
hmm, it would have been nice if the post was read before a comment added...

Yeah if you read above, I tried enabling the old device but there is no other device listed that is even disabled or disconnected.

Did you check in CMOS to see if it was disabled there? And no where in your post did you mention that you tried enabling the old device... you simply said you plugged your speakers in. That is utterly meaningless. I love how people b*tch and moan to people trying to give them help. We can only go on the information you provide.

List COMPLETE specs of the computer... what type of motherboard... what type of onboard sound it has, etc, etc. Do you have a separate sound card? Is your computer an off-the-shelf model or self-built?

Don't ask for help and then complain when someone makes a suggestion based on what you tell them. It only makes people less likely to help you.

Control Panel ==>Sound

Go into the Sound Recorder tab.

Right Click a blank area

In the pop up, select "Show Disabled Devices"

Enable your old stuff

Learn some manners

TJumpMan

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Mine is having the same problems as his. It has nothing except the HD in the sound options. I tried "show disabled" and things like that, and the only sound option i have at all is the HD one... if i cant figure out a way to enable my speakers, is there some kind of adapter that will let me plug in my speakers via HDMI cable or something? The speakers i have are 5.1 with the green, black (rears), and orange (sub/center). So if at all possible i dont want to have wasted my money buying those... any help is appreciated.