Vista 64 word prosessor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maximiza

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Hiya,
Was needing a word processor, are there any opinions for one? Found Window Works V9 OEM for 20 bucks, but would Open Office work or would it slow down the system. I read the blogs on Openoffice but it appears it can be buggy in 64 bit, it is a work in progress. Any other suggestions?

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I say give open office a try, see what happens. Works fine on Vista 32 bit. The 2.4 versions are ok on 32 bit, there is a newer version out there which is open office 3.0, it's due for official release in september I think. Which it's supposed to be compatible with MS office 07 and 08. My opinion is try open office first, but make a restore point before you install. If you don't like it, uninstall or roll back to your restore point, then drop the cash on MS office. But if OO works well, then you saved money.

Like Scotteq said, Microsoft Office which includes MS Word processor works perfect. I am using Microsoft Office 2000 Small business Edition on my Vista 64 machines without issue. The software was released in 1999 when I purchased it. Anything released by M$ since 1999 will work on Vista 64. As far as reading somewhere Open Office has 'issues' with Vista 64, I doubt it has issues any different than it has with any other OS. Why don't you download and install and try it for yourself.

I agree about Open Office... if it doesn't work, it's not like you've lost anything other than the time it takes to download it. If you're referring to a 64-bit version of Open Office... then perhaps that is the one you're thinking of when you say buggy and a work in progress.

MS Office is guaranteed to work, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.