haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
This may be a stupid question, but this morning i noticed that in IE instead of the usual cursor which lets you select text i have this weird hand which looks a bit like the one you get when mousing over hyperlinks but with all fingers extended. All this cursor does is drag the web page up or down when i click and hold. Useful it may be, but i have a tablet laptop so i can use gestures with the pen to move up and down.

How to i put it back to the normal cursor? Ive looked in the control panel section on the pointers and restored it to the default pointers but that did nothing! I seriously cannot think what i did, if i did anything, to make it use this 'grabbing' pointer.

Please help!

Rich

Almost sounds like some kind of spyware, do you have any new 'toolbars' on your browser or any crap like that - 'browser helper' or whatnot?

Or maybe you inadvertently clicked a middle mouse button or something and it thinks you want to scroll?

That's all I got.

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
No spyware at all, i install most software on my desktop, as its faster, anyway.

Maybe it just needed rebooting, all i usually do is put it to sleep. I turned it off last night so maybe when i turn it back on it will have sorted it. Earlier in the week the rings around the pen 'pointer' vanished off the tablet so im hoping it is something like that!

Thanks

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Nope, just turned it on and its still doing it!

However, it doesnt use that cursor all the time. When i go to anywhere outside the actual webpage (the 'file' buttons, favourites etc. or when i go into a text box such as this one, the cursor changes to what it should be. Its just when im actually on the webpage that it uses the 'grab' hand.

martinr

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
I have experienced the same mystery grabbing-hand. It appeared on Sunday around the time I installed Skype. So I removed Skype but it is still there. Did you get any further with this? The 'hand' doesn't work well with Gmail pages!

Thanks,

Martin

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
To fix it i reset IE from the options menu (under the advanced tab). But after doing that i accidentally did it again, and it appears that (in IE7), on the toolbar with the Home button (right hand side), there is a button with the cursor on it called "Panning hand"!! So i unchecked this button and the hand went! I felt quite foolish when i realised what ide done!

goky

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I had same problem with grabbing hand. It turned out to be IE7Pro addon feature. It is available unter IE Tools menu and named "IE7Pro Grab and Drag". Since there is no indication that it is tuned on or off, click it and see if hand goes back to regular mouse pointer.

luv2rip

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
I also had the same suddenly, and I found that "IE7Pro Grab and Drag" feature had that Yellow looking hand .....

Looks like an old thread, but I still had that issue and just now fixed it by reading various posts

I am on IE8 btw.