New Build, Help Please

Helio

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2004
Hi Everyone,

I am building a new machine and would like some opinions/advice.

This build is designed for all around good performance for a good price.

-Cooler Master Centurion Case

-EVGA NVIDIA nForce 650i Ultra ATX Intel Motherboard

-EVGA Geforce 8800GTS 640MB Video Card

-Cooler Master eXtreme Power 650 W PSU.

-Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4Ghz CPU
-GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) 240 pin DDR2 800 Memory (possibly x2)

-Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200 rpm SATA Hard Drive

-CHI MEI 22� Widescreen DVI LCD Monitor 5ms

-Sony CD/DVD Burner

I might overclock this system a little bit, but I don't want to buy additional cooling components so it will be very little. Any suggestions or advice would be great. In particular, I am a little edgy with the PSU. I'm not sure if I need a 650 W or if I could get by on a smaller one. Also the PSU I currently picked out says it only has > 70% efficiency, this seems low to me. Thanks for your help everyone!

-Helio

yay

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Hey, well i recomend going for whatever you are comfortable spending as far a PSU but as long as its a good brand, (that one is pretty extreme but good) you could go for a 550-600 range for that system, you shouldnt encounter and problems. Watch out for the CPU HS and the cases layout, i have heard of people not being able to fit thier HS in under the supports for the side hole.

I greatly recomend OCing, i take it you have OCed before, but instead of a e6600 i recomend the cheapest 4mb cache C2D you can get, e4320 or somthing? then just overclock to a nice 3ghz, on fairly standard HS. That case has great airflow, ive built with one before.

As far as efficiency goes, 70ish to 85% is very acceptable, i dont recomend anything under 80 personally as they are quiet and cooler.

Also could you please add it's general purpose so we know what load its going to get, eg gaming.

akhilles

Splendid
You can get a psu that lets you get by for now & upgrade it yet again next time you do video. Or you can get a semi-big psu that lasts a few video upgrades.

400W 26A is the minimal req for a single-8800gts pc.

Assuming you're in the u.s.:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1491365#1491365

The evga 650i ultra chipset is good, but the lack of mounting clips/holes for northbridge isn't good. I'd get a MSI P6N-SLI-FI or at least ASUS P5N-E SLI.