Newbie Question

Hi,

Hope I'm not breaking any rules here, but I have a question.

Been playing COH on the UK servers for three weeks now, and enjoying myself
more or less and experimenting with various characters to see which works
best for me.

I've been doing the missions more than soloing, and I've noticed something.
You start off in Atlas or Galaxy, get given a few missions, work your way
up to level 5 or 6. Then you get given a contact outside the zone (Galaxy
gets someone in Atlas & Atlas gets someone in Kings Row) and they send you
off to the Hollows. Where you meet several contacts (I'm up to Julius the
Troll) who all give you missions. I'm not even mentioning the nasty shock
you get when you find that everything in there is in huge mobs that can
kill you pretty damn quick :) Big culture shock after the relative safety
of Atlas & Galaxy.

The question I have is this: Is it possible to go elsewhere and find
another contact who will give you other missions at this point or do you
just have to stick with the Hollows until there are no more contacts and
you get sent somewhere else?

Jason

Red Giant: lvl 12 Fire/Fire Tanker
Golema: lvl 10 Stone/Stone Tanker
White Avenger: lvl 10 Dark/Dark Scrapper
Mr Mysterious: lvl 7 Empathy/Psychic Defender
Fireshock: lvl 7 Fire/Electricity Blaster

JACUK wrote:

> The question I have is this: Is it possible to go elsewhere and find
> another contact who will give you other missions at this point or do you
> just have to stick with the Hollows until there are no more contacts and
> you get sent somewhere else?

That first time you get sent to the Hollows contact is actually a mission
for the contact who sent you - you can head right back to that contact
after talking to the guy just inside the Hollows and get another mission
from your original contact - if he's out, he should either tell you to
come back when you get to a certain level or introduce you to a new
non-Hollows contact.

You certainly don't have to do the Hollows.

--
| Victory Server: |
| Bex - Level 34 Blaster (Assault Rifle/Devices) |

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:29:38 -0600, JACUK <jack@bluenospamyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

>I've been doing the missions more than soloing, and I've noticed something.
>You start off in Atlas or Galaxy, get given a few missions, work your way
>up to level 5 or 6. Then you get given a contact outside the zone (Galaxy
>gets someone in Atlas & Atlas gets someone in Kings Row) and they send you
>off to the Hollows. Where you meet several contacts (I'm up to Julius the
>Troll) who all give you missions. I'm not even mentioning the nasty shock
>you get when you find that everything in there is in huge mobs that can
>kill you pretty damn quick :) Big culture shock after the relative safety
>of Atlas & Galaxy.
>
>The question I have is this: Is it possible to go elsewhere and find
>another contact who will give you other missions at this point or do you
>just have to stick with the Hollows until there are no more contacts and
>you get sent somewhere else?

When you go to the hollows, that's a mission for the contact who sent
you there. Once you've talked to the new contact there, you have two
contacts - him and the person who sent you to him. You can get missions
from any contact on your list until they tell you that you've
outlevelled them.

Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote in

> When you go to the hollows, that's a mission for the contact who sent
> you there. Once you've talked to the new contact there, you have two
> contacts - him and the person who sent you to him. You can get
> missions from any contact on your list until they tell you that you've
> outlevelled them.

Ah....

Thanks very much.

Jason

Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote in

> When you go to the hollows, that's a mission for the contact who sent
> you there. Once you've talked to the new contact there, you have two
> contacts - him and the person who sent you to him. You can get
> missions from any contact on your list until they tell you that you've
> outlevelled them.

Or, you could have skipped the mission all-together. At lvl 5 you can get
into 'The Hollows' and walk right up to Lt. Winslow(?), check the store,
then leave.

I had a mission at 5 that was near the Hollows, so I stopped by, did the
chat, then went to the mission.

He's in my contact list now, but I did have to run all the way there and
back for 1 silly little intro mission.

Janlee <janelee@ameritech.net> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> When you go to the hollows, that's a mission for the contact who sent
>> you there. Once you've talked to the new contact there, you have two
>> contacts - him and the person who sent you to him. You can get
>> missions from any contact on your list until they tell you that you've
>> outlevelled them.
>>

>Or, you could have skipped the mission all-together. At lvl 5 you can get
>into 'The Hollows' and walk right up to Lt. Winslow(?), check the store,
>then leave.
>
>I had a mission at 5 that was near the Hollows, so I stopped by, did the
>chat, then went to the mission.
>
>He's in my contact list now, but I did have to run all the way there and
>back for 1 silly little intro mission.

This is the reason I *HATE* those "introduce the player to a new zone"
missions.

Without fail I won't get this one from my original Atlas contact - oh
no, it has to come from my second contact who is, as like or not, way up
north in kings row, or way south in galaxy, so it's run all the way to
new contact only to get told to go back to Atlas to go to the friggen
hollows to see Lt Whinger.

This is EXTREMELY annoying.

Xocyll

In article <m0tj31dmiei3gm4qp4ukkddj4mhvtif4gm@4ax.com>, Xocyll wrote:

> This is the reason I *HATE* those "introduce the player to a
> new zone" missions.
>
> Without fail I won't get this one from my original Atlas
> contact - oh no, it has to come from my second contact who is,
> as like or not, way up north in kings row, or way south in
> galaxy, so it's run all the way to new contact only to get told
> to go back to Atlas to go to the friggen hollows to see Lt
> Whinger.
>
> This is EXTREMELY annoying.

Yes!

Why can't they just introduce you to Wincott like any other
decent introduction in the game?

--
Neil Cerutti
I may have smoked too much weed, but I wasn't taking drugs or

Janlee <janelee@ameritech.net> wrote in

> I had a mission at 5 that was near the Hollows, so I stopped by, did
> the chat, then went to the mission.
>
> He's in my contact list now, but I did have to run all the way there
> and back for 1 silly little intro mission.

Curse you typing skills!

Meant to say......that I DIDN'T have to run all the way there and back for

"JACUK" <jack@bluenospamyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote in
>

>> When you go to the hollows, that's a mission for the contact who sent
>> you there. Once you've talked to the new contact there, you have two
>> contacts - him and the person who sent you to him. You can get
>> missions from any contact on your list until they tell you that you've
>> outlevelled them.
>
> Ah....
>
> Thanks very much.

If you have outlevelled them they'll usually refer you to a new contact. I
had this happen with a couple of characters that went Winter Lord Hunting at
level 2 and wratted it up at Level 14 and 15.

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

Vorlonagent (M), level 21 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
Steel Night (M), Level 16 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
NightfalI (M), Level 16 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 17 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
lmpact (F), Level 14 Blaster (Gun,Energy), Virtue
Girl at the Bar (F), Level 10 Controller: Mind/Empathy, Triumph

Buser

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005

Strangely the Hollows is the only place where people accept multiple
party member deaths just getting from one mission to the next. I would
suggest going back to your contacts and picking up more missions outside
the Hollows. This will get you used to the normal travel and play styles
that occur outside the hazard zones. You'll also see more content, fight
a wider variety of enemies, and have more contacts and missions
avaliable when you leave the Hollows.

I kind of wish that the Hollows contacts would occasionally introduce
people to other contacts outside the Hollows, especially around level 10
to 12. It might cut down on the people in Talos or Stirga who don't know
what TFs, AVs, and story arcs are.
--
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

ingot

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2004

"Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> wrote

> If you have outlevelled them they'll usually refer you to a new contact.
> had this happen with a couple of characters that went Winter Lord Hunting
at
> level 2 and wratted it up at Level 14 and 15.

Yeah, I depend on this.

I sometimes have fun street hunting for several levels. I did this during
the times I should have been going through the Peregrine Island story arc,
so when I finally realized what I'd missed (Science vendor needed!), I had
to go through two contacts before the third would give me any missions.

Still managed to do all the missions though.

FirePlug