Digital Tuner

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 28, 2004 4:34:41 PM

Does anyone have suggestions on a Digital Tuners and is it worth the
effort if you only have analog TV. I would like to drop cable and use
the digital tuner to get a clear picture. Is anyone using a digital
tuner and analog TVs?

Thanks for the help
Matt

More about : digital tuner

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 7:56:22 PM

If you do not have a digital TV or monitor, and don't plan on getting
one soon, then the DST box would be a total waste of momey.

--
charper1
December 28, 2004 10:48:50 PM

wmcushing wrote:

> Does anyone have suggestions on a Digital Tuners and is it worth the
> effort if you only have analog TV. I would like to drop cable and use
> the digital tuner to get a clear picture. Is anyone using a digital
> tuner and analog TVs?
>
> Thanks for the help
> Matt

Matt:

If you have a local Digital/HD TV 'Tower farm' in your area......

You can use your Analog TV with:

Channel Master 3021 UHF antenna ($25) 4 bay bow tie (possibly
indoors)...

Some RG-6 Antenna cable dual shielded....

A Walmart Digital Receiver ($200) or Samsung T-451 ($250)....
set to 480i video out & receive both SD down Converted & HD
downconverted Digital TV with improved clarity...
You will need a S-Video input connector on the back of your
Analog
TV set...

You will also buy the S-Video Cable and Red & White audio
cables...

Go to: http://www.antennaweb.org & Enter your 5 or 9 Digit Zip
Code..

and select the Digital option to see IF Any Digital TV stations

are in your local area......
December 29, 2004 2:28:56 AM

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:48:50 -0600, Dennis Mayer <Polaris1@execpc.com>
wrote:

> If you have a local Digital/HD TV 'Tower farm' in your area......
>
> You can use your Analog TV with:
>
> Channel Master 3021 UHF antenna ($25) 4 bay bow tie (possibly
>indoors)...
>
> Some RG-6 Antenna cable dual shielded....
>
> A Walmart Digital Receiver ($200) or Samsung T-451 ($250)....
> set to 480i video out & receive both SD down Converted & HD
> downconverted Digital TV with improved clarity...
> You will need a S-Video input connector on the back of your
>Analog
> TV set...

If you have component inputs on your analog TV, could you use those
instead of S-Video? It would only make sense to me on the outset but
I've had numerous folks tell me you can't use anything but S-Video in
this instance. If so, I don't understand why. TIA -
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 1:13:31 PM

That is not true. The digital broadcasts will provide rock-solid reception
as compared to an analog antenna. Many of these set top digital boxes will
work great for receiving over-the-air TV signals going to a non-HD capable
set.

Jeff

"charper1" <charper1.1hzvik@satelliteguys.us> wrote in message

> If you do not have a digital TV or monitor, and don't plan on getting
> one soon, then the DST box would be a total waste of momey.
>

> --
> charper1

December 29, 2004 2:53:53 PM

I forgot to mention that you will need sufficient signal strength to receive
the digital signals. My digital signals are in the range of 85-98%. My
analog signals look okay and the digital reception is phenomenal.

Jeff

"Jeff Durham" <jdurham@outdoorlife.local> wrote in message
> That is not true. The digital broadcasts will provide rock-solid
> reception as compared to an analog antenna. Many of these set top digital
> boxes will work great for receiving over-the-air TV signals going to a
> non-HD capable set.
>
> Jeff
>
> "charper1" <charper1.1hzvik@satelliteguys.us> wrote in message
>>
>> If you do not have a digital TV or monitor, and don't plan on getting
>> one soon, then the DST box would be a total waste of momey.
>>

>> --
>> charper1

December 29, 2004 6:19:00 PM

> "charper1" <charper1.1hzvik@satelliteguys.us> wrote in message
> >
> > If you do not have a digital TV or monitor, and don't plan on
getting
> > one soon, then the DST box would be a total waste of momey.

However, not a waste of money!
Clay
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 7:42:35 PM

HDTV-slingr wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:48:50 -0600, Dennis Mayer <Polaris1@execpc.com>
> wrote:
>
> > If you have a local Digital/HD TV 'Tower farm' in your area......
> >
> > You can use your Analog TV with:
> >
> > Channel Master 3021 UHF antenna ($25) 4 bay bow tie (possibly
> >indoors)...
> >
> > Some RG-6 Antenna cable dual shielded....
> >
> > A Walmart Digital Receiver ($200) or Samsung T-451 ($250)....
> > set to 480i video out & receive both SD down Converted & HD
> > downconverted Digital TV with improved clarity...
> > You will need a S-Video input connector on the back of your
> >Analog
> > TV set...
>
> If you have component inputs on your analog TV, could you use those
> instead of S-Video? It would only make sense to me on the outset but
> I've had numerous folks tell me you can't use anything but S-Video in
> this instance. If so, I don't understand why. TIA -

Yes, component 'Digital/HD downconvert' inputs should work 'swell'
for a Modern
analog TV.. I think this is a special case since all older
Analog TVs have either or both S-Video or composite Video In....
And yes, component is an 'Analog' Signal Input....

We know that S-Video Input generates a better Picture than
Composite In.

This down conversion 'option' will become common IF/When Analog
TV
tower transmissions end.... Using cheaper set top boxes to
boot..
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 4:51:17 AM

I'm using a Samsung 360 for OTA and DirecTv to drive an older 32" Sony
XBR and it is a mighty fine picture. Would I like to have a 16:9,
hdtv, and a bit bigger, sure. But if I have the chance to watch a
digital signal feed to the analog tv vs. ota analog, I'll watch the
digital every time. Very stable, no ghosts, a more vibrant picture,
even on the upconverted stuff. I can glance at the set and know if
we're getting NTSC or digital.

On 28 Dec 2004 13:34:41 -0800, "wmcushing" <wmcushing@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Does anyone have suggestions on a Digital Tuners and is it worth the
>effort if you only have analog TV. I would like to drop cable and use
>the digital tuner to get a clear picture. Is anyone using a digital
>tuner and analog TVs?
>
>Thanks for the help
>Matt
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 4:51:18 AM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 01:51:17 GMT, Bouncer <humz@alot.net> wrote:

>I'm using a Samsung 360 for OTA and DirecTv to drive an older 32" Sony
>XBR and it is a mighty fine picture. Would I like to have a 16:9,
>hdtv, and a bit bigger, sure. But if I have the chance to watch a
>digital signal feed to the analog tv vs. ota analog, I'll watch the
>digital every time. Very stable, no ghosts, a more vibrant picture,
>even on the upconverted stuff. I can glance at the set and know if
>we're getting NTSC or digital.

I've heard that you'll get "better than DVD quality picture " on a
good analog TV set by going the route of downconverting an HD
broadcast to 480i and transmitting the video via good component
cables. I had one guy trying to tell me the picture one would get
would actually be close to rivalling an ED (extended/enhanced
definition) picture if you did this with a high-end analog TV with a
digital comb filter, such as one of the Sonys or Toshibas.

Does this sound right to y'all? BTW - thanks to all who've answered
my previous questions :-)
December 30, 2004 6:08:00 AM

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:39:49 -0600, HDTV-slingr
<NOSPAMMERS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 01:51:17 GMT, Bouncer <humz@alot.net> wrote:
>
>>I'm using a Samsung 360 for OTA and DirecTv to drive an older 32" Sony
>>XBR and it is a mighty fine picture. Would I like to have a 16:9,
>>hdtv, and a bit bigger, sure. But if I have the chance to watch a
>>digital signal feed to the analog tv vs. ota analog, I'll watch the
>>digital every time. Very stable, no ghosts, a more vibrant picture,
>>even on the upconverted stuff. I can glance at the set and know if
>>we're getting NTSC or digital.
>
>I've heard that you'll get "better than DVD quality picture " on a
>good analog TV set by going the route of downconverting an HD
>broadcast to 480i and transmitting the video via good component
>cables. I had one guy trying to tell me the picture one would get
>would actually be close to rivalling an ED (extended/enhanced
>definition) picture if you did this with a high-end analog TV with a
>digital comb filter, such as one of the Sonys or Toshibas.
>
>Does this sound right to y'all? BTW - thanks to all who've answered
>my previous questions :-)

Well it might be better than watching some analog SD broadcasts of
material shot in HD that's a far cry from looking as good as pre HDTV
television production and broadcasting. People will need HDTV tuners
for their analog sets.
!