Sign in with
Your question

How do I give my cute neighbor access w/o her accessing entire network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 20, 2007 4:27:41 AM

As the thread says...how can I give my cute neighbor wireless internet access via my network, without giving her access to the rest of my network? I have a 2wire 1000w (for b access) as dhcp server, a netgear wireless router (for G access) with dhcp off both connected to a netgear 16 port switch with about 10 other devices connected.

Can it be done securely? Any help would be greatly appreciated : )
July 20, 2007 7:32:17 PM

Sounds like your trying to set up a virtual lan (vlan). I know this would work if your equipment supports it. Since you have two routers you could daisy chain the wans and have her get access only with the first in the chain. If anyone has any better ideas let him know cause I never had to do it.
July 20, 2007 11:31:39 PM

Give her computer a different Work Group name, she should be able to connect to the Internet but not access your network otherwise. Did this with a kid's computer Definitely do it at your place to make sure it works, then if she has a problem you know it's likely the distance or the wall interfering and she will have to move in with you to get a free connection :) 
Related resources
July 21, 2007 12:14:18 AM

g-paw...you're hilarious! : )

That would work unless she clicked on "My Network Places", "View Networked Computers", "Microsoft Windows Network"...

Hmmm...I could always tell her NOT to do that : )
July 21, 2007 12:19:40 AM

brw...Thank you! I think you're right on the nose with the Vlan 802.1q set-up...probably alot cheaper to just pay for her dsl connection...and dinner...

Anyone else?
July 21, 2007 11:52:44 AM

Sandsurfer said:
g-paw...you're hilarious! : )

That would work unless she clicked on "My Network Places", "View Networked Computers", "Microsoft Windows Network"...

Hmmm...I could always tell her NOT to do that : )

While the kid's computer isn't here, she moved out :bounce:  , if I remember, only computers on the same Work Group will show up and even if it the computers did show up, I'm pretty certain she can't access them. Be worth a try. Even if it didn't work, you'd have some nice eye candy while trying. :) 
!