gfx card u/s?

joe90gt

Distinguished
May 17, 2007
hi, got a bit of a prob with my nvidia 6600gt or motherboard, on startup the writing is "extended" and there are several vertical lines of white dashes and when it goes into xp screen it keeps looping, in safe mode the gfx probs show up as a matrix of small red dashes on any coloured part of the screen, could it be the gfx card or m/board thats a problem, it used to happen every now and again but now its permanent,any help would be appreciated, thanks

shargrath

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
sounds like something to do with your 6600GT more than anything have you checked to see if the fan is spinning on it? The problem may also be with your power supply im not very clued in on power supplys but someone is sure to help with it.

It could be your power supply, your cooling, or your card is dying. First thing anyone ever has to do when asking a question about their rig is to give the specs as best as possible. Then people can give advice on those parts, as they know them from experience.... so whats your specs?

joe90gt

Distinguished
May 17, 2007
Ok here goes:
Athlon 3 Ghz 64
Belinea 19" TFT
Nvidia 6600GT
2 x 512mb RAM DDR 400
XP home
2 x SATA drives
Uniprocessor SiS 775
BIOS Award

Home built system 2.5 years old, Nvidia drivers updated, system used to crash regularily on games but that was down to a dodgy RAM stick and some drivers.
White lines on startup used to happen every now and again but a reset usually sorted that, occasional lockup when gaming
runs very stable in safe mode
Fan on gfx Ok , card never got much hotter than 30 degrees

500w power supply
is that enough?

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
PSU is enough. It sounds like your GPU is the culprit. Do you have another computer or a friends computer you could try it in to see if it does the same thing there?

joe90gt

Distinguished
May 17, 2007
I bought another gpu, 7600gt AGP, which is winging its way to me now, so should be able to tell soon, thanks for the replies

sorted, it was the gfx card, thanks for the help