Install exited abnormally sata with redhat 9 during installation

gnilawar

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
got the message while installation with redhat 9 with sata hard disk

Running anaconda, the Red Hat Linux system installer - please wait...
Probing for video card: Matrox Millenium II
Probing for m onitor type: Unknown monitor
probing for mouse type: Generic - 3 Button Mouse (USB)
Attempting to start native X server
Waiting for X server to start...log located in /tmp/X.log
1...2...3...4...5...6.... X server started successfully.
install exited abnormally
sending termination signals...done
sending kill signals...done
disabling swap...
unmounting filesystems...
/mnt/runtime done
disabling /dev/loop0
/proc/bus/usb done
/proc done
/dev/pts done
/tmp/ramfs done
/mnt/source done
you may safely reboot your system

please help me

new to linux

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Redhat 9 is OLD news in linux today, I suspect that it may not have full support for your newer hardware. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RedHat_Linux it was given last rights in 2004.

There are a number of linux distributions that are much more modern and easier to install than RH was. (tho it was great for its day, I used it extensively).

Ubuntu, Fedora (a RH based distribution), and Debian are three very popular and well supported distributions I'd steer you towards. Newer installer platforms and updated software repositories are benifits of these current distributions.

Was there a specific reason you were trying RH 9 or you had just found it first?

BTW - Welcome to linux.

kitkat12012

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

^ this

and since X server was the last one that was initialized, my first guess would be missing video card drivers. try installing it with the video card removed and using only the onboard graphics (if your mobo has one)

but like someone19 said, I would also strongly suggest going with a more modern distro. you'll get better hardware and newer software this way

If I have my distros straight (someone please correctly if I'm wrong), I think Fedora is the free Redhat fork after Redhat became proprietary? If you wanna run Redhat, Fedora might be one of the closests alternatives

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
RH 9 kinda went two directions, RHEL (red hat enterprise linux) had been developed for several versions and mirrored RH 7-9, but after 9 they pretty much quit developing any further and solely released RHEL. Fedora was formed from the opensource work of RH 9 and continued development. Fedora and RHEL have not followed along in development as RH and RHEL did.

A short history lesson. Mandrake fit in there somewhere as well. It was origonally RH with some extra tweaks, much like kbuntu is ubuntu, but development of mandrake has continued as mandriva.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions - there is a picture on the right hand side of the page that is a timeline basis of when distributions were released as well as somewhat of a family tree.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

RH split into Fedora and RHEL. Fedora is available for free. RHEL is sold with support etc. Both are open source. If you want RHEL, but don't want to buy it, go for CentOS, as it is RHEL without the branding. Fedora is the testing ground for what goes into RHEL.