how do you NOT replace old files when copying a folder?

markandeya

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
hi... when you copy a folder in Windows XP, the Confirm Folder Replace dialogue appears, which only gives you the option to replace files one at a time, replace them all, or opt out (No). How do you keep the old files in the folder and add the new ones that are not there already?

For example, if I am backing up My Music folder and there is 7 GB of music sitting on my external hard drive, how can I add only the 200 MB of music files that have been added since the last time I backed up this folder? I remember this used to be possible in previous versions of windows. The dialogue in XP, the way it is set up, you have to replace all the files. It seems like this would put unnecessary wear on the hard drive, not to mention waste time.

thank you

markandeya

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008

ok great thanks a lot. sorry I didn't respond earlier but obviously this is not a terribly demanding problem. It is great to know this thankyou... and thanks to all for the replies. :)

///////ok great thanks a lot. sorry I didn't respond earlier but obviously this is not a terribly demanding problem. It is great to know this thankyou...

@markandeya You're Welcome, I'm a mobile DJ and I constantly have to update my collection which presently is backed up to 3 external HDDs at over 80G, needless to say transferring the entire 80G would take a lot of time!