Nvdia drivers for 560ti on Ubuntu Ultimate Edition

akromam90

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
I just had a friend turn me on to I presume newer Ubuntu systems, Ultimate Edition 2.6.1 I believe it is, and I am unable to get any graphics card drivers for it. I installed it to a 1TB secondary drive and it boots fine and operates fine. Other than the fact that it's at a low resolution and I can't turn it on the highest settings of graphics/features. I went to System > Admistrator > Hardware and it says there are no proprietary hardware drivers needed. Anyone have any idea how to get the nvidia drivers on? I'm kind of a newbie to linux OS's but I'm loving it so far!

Thanks in advance!!

Crazy Hitchhiker

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Glad to hear that you are enjoying linux! For starters, try out this link: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17495/how-to-add-proprietary-drivers-to-ubuntu-10.04/. This will show you who to install the proprietary drivers. I'm pretty sure that that will solve your problem (btw, though the tutorial is for 10.04, the same thing applies for 10.10).

EDIT

I checked the nvidia website, and apparently the 560 drivers for linux are in beta. That may be the source of your problem.

akromam90

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Yeah I checked that right after install and updates but it said there wasn't any proprietary software left to install. I'll try some updates again tonight and see. Would you possibly have a link to the beta drivers? I glanced through nvidia's site and couldn't find anything.