Temporary Internet Files

Recently, I looked in my Temporary Internet Files Folder and was surprised
to see over 27 000 files there. How come they accumulate? Aren't they
suppose to be deleted on turn off? Looks like there are hundreds of cookies,
too. How to clean this folder safely?
Any suggestion will be appreciated.
--
Ilya Zeldes
Fort Myers, Florida

    "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Recently, I looked in my Temporary Internet Files Folder and was surprised
    >to see over 27 000 files there. How come they accumulate? Aren't they
    >suppose to be deleted on turn off? Looks like there are hundreds of cookies,
    >too. How to clean this folder safely?

    You can wipe the data manually from the folder or via the Internet
    Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Delete Files / Delete Cookies.
    The data is erased automatically if you tick the corresponding option
    in the Internet Options > Advanced > Security.

    --
    (tm)

    Thanks, Thorsten. Sure it does erase everything. Once I tried it and after
    that had to restore manually all the automatic accesses to a dozen of
    the really temporary stuff and keep the cookies and other important files.
    Ilya
    "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Recently, I looked in my Temporary Internet Files Folder and was surprised
    >>to see over 27 000 files there. How come they accumulate? Aren't they
    >>suppose to be deleted on turn off? Looks like there are hundreds of
    >>cookies,
    >>too. How to clean this folder safely?
    >
    > You can wipe the data manually from the folder or via the Internet
    > Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Delete Files / Delete Cookies.
    > The data is erased automatically if you tick the corresponding option
    > in the Internet Options > Advanced > Security.
    >
    > --
    > (tm)

    "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Thanks, Thorsten. Sure it does erase everything. Once I tried it and after
    >that had to restore manually all the automatic accesses to a dozen of
    >the really temporary stuff and keep the cookies and other important files.

    No. The Cookies, however, are deleted seperately and so you can empty
    the Internet cache ("Delete Files") without deleting the Cookies.
    You cannot make Cookies permanent, so that they are not deleted when
    you wipe all the data. You have to erase all unwanted Cookies manually
    for to do this.
    Check if a Password keeper is helpful for you. You can then logon to
    your password protected sites on an easy way and store the login data
    in a safe manner.

    --
    (tm)

    Thanks again for the detailed instructions! I appreciate your help.
    > "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks, Thorsten. Sure it does erase everything. Once I tried it and after
    >>that had to restore manually all the automatic accesses to a dozen of
    >>sites - banks, mail, subscriptions, etc. I hope there is some way to
    >>remove
    >>the really temporary stuff and keep the cookies and other important files.
    >
    > No. The Cookies, however, are deleted seperately and so you can empty
    > the Internet cache ("Delete Files") without deleting the Cookies.
    > You cannot make Cookies permanent, so that they are not deleted when
    > you wipe all the data. You have to erase all unwanted Cookies manually
    > for to do this.
    > Check if a Password keeper is helpful for you. You can then logon to
    > your password protected sites on an easy way and store the login data
    > in a safe manner.
    >
    > --
    > (tm)

    "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Thanks again for the detailed instructions! I appreciate your help.
    >Ilya

    One additional suggestion. If you have a high-speed Internet
    connection then you should go into Control Panel - Internet Options
    and click on the Advanced tab. Scroll down the list to the Security
    section (near the bottom) and click on the checkbox for "delete
    temporary internet files when browser is closed" to select it, then
    click on Apply and OK as needed to exit.

    You can also do this if you have a dial-up connection, of course, but
    I do not personally recommend this because the t.i.f. does have some
    performance value on dial-up connections.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Thanks again for the detailed instructions! I appreciate your help.

    You are welcome.

    --
    (tm)

    Ron, thanks for the suggestion. However, I checked the Security and all
    other sections, but there is no "delete temporary files" option. Sure, it
    would be exactly, what I want ;)
    Ilya
    > "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks again for the detailed instructions! I appreciate your help.
    >>Ilya
    >
    > One additional suggestion. If you have a high-speed Internet
    > connection then you should go into Control Panel - Internet Options
    > and click on the Advanced tab. Scroll down the list to the Security
    > section (near the bottom) and click on the checkbox for "delete
    > temporary internet files when browser is closed" to select it, then
    > click on Apply and OK as needed to exit.
    >
    > You can also do this if you have a dial-up connection, of course, but
    > I do not personally recommend this because the t.i.f. does have some
    > performance value on dial-up connections.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    I believe what you are looking for is on the General tab of Internet
    Options.
    It is the "Delete Files" button to the right of "Delete Cookies."

    ilyaz wrote:
    > Ron, thanks for the suggestion. However, I checked the Security and
    > all other sections, but there is no "delete temporary files" option.
    > Sure, it would be exactly, what I want ;)
    > Ilya
    > "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks again for the detailed instructions! I appreciate your help.
    >>> Ilya
    >>
    >> One additional suggestion. If you have a high-speed Internet
    >> connection then you should go into Control Panel - Internet Options
    >> and click on the Advanced tab. Scroll down the list to the Security
    >> section (near the bottom) and click on the checkbox for "delete
    >> temporary internet files when browser is closed" to select it, then
    >> click on Apply and OK as needed to exit.
    >>
    >> You can also do this if you have a dial-up connection, of course, but
    >> I do not personally recommend this because the t.i.f. does have some
    >> performance value on dial-up connections.
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >>

    >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    >> --
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> On-Line Help Computer Service
    >> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    >>
    >> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Ron, thanks for the suggestion. However, I checked the Security and all
    >other sections, but there is no "delete temporary files" option. Sure, it
    >would be exactly, what I want ;)
    >Ilya

    Okay, My bad. The exact wording of the item is "Empty Temporary
    Internet Files folder when browser is closed".

    It should the 8th item listed after the Security header, right below
    the item that reads "Do not save encrypted files to disk".

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron,
    I don't know why, but in my version, the 8th line after Security is <Enable
    Integrated Windows Authentication>. And, as I said in my previous post,
    nowhere in the Advanced tab (my version) there is anything about removing
    temporary internet files... Sorry about this.
    Ilya

    > "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Ron, thanks for the suggestion. However, I checked the Security and all
    >>other sections, but there is no "delete temporary files" option. Sure, it
    >>would be exactly, what I want ;)
    >>Ilya
    >
    > Okay, My bad. The exact wording of the item is "Empty Temporary
    > Internet Files folder when browser is closed".
    >
    > It should the 8th item listed after the Security header, right below
    > the item that reads "Do not save encrypted files to disk".
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Ron,
    >I don't know why, but in my version, the 8th line after Security is <Enable
    >Integrated Windows Authentication>. And, as I said in my previous post,
    >nowhere in the Advanced tab (my version) there is anything about removing
    >temporary internet files... Sorry about this.
    >Ilya
    Not a problem. Your 8th line is #9 in my version. I will check with
    some of the real experts in IE and find out what is going on.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote:

    >"ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Ron,
    >>I don't know why, but in my version, the 8th line after Security is <Enable
    >>Integrated Windows Authentication>. And, as I said in my previous post,
    >>nowhere in the Advanced tab (my version) there is anything about removing
    >>temporary internet files... Sorry about this.
    >>Ilya
    >Not a problem. Your 8th line is #9 in my version. I will check with
    >some of the real experts in IE and find out what is going on.
    >

    >Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    Here is a fix for it.
    Go to http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/persistent.htm and download the
    cache.reg file.

    Save the file on your computer then right-click on it and choose
    Merge.

    Thanks to MVPs Ramesh Srinivasan for the fix and Vincenzo Di Russo for
    directing me to it.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron,
    thanks a lot for your help! I already downloaded it, added to the registry
    and checked the box! Now I (and you, too!!!) may relax :)
    Ilya

    > Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>"ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Ron,
    >>>I don't know why, but in my version, the 8th line after Security is
    >>><Enable
    >>>Integrated Windows Authentication>. And, as I said in my previous post,
    >>>nowhere in the Advanced tab (my version) there is anything about removing
    >>>temporary internet files... Sorry about this.
    >>>Ilya
    >>Not a problem. Your 8th line is #9 in my version. I will check with
    >>some of the real experts in IE and find out what is going on.
    >>

    >>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    >
    > Here is a fix for it.
    > Go to http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/persistent.htm and download the
    > cache.reg file.
    >
    > Save the file on your computer then right-click on it and choose
    > Merge.
    >
    > Thanks to MVPs Ramesh Srinivasan for the fix and Vincenzo Di Russo for
    > directing me to it.
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Well, Thorsten, Ron and all other who may be reading this thread...
    As I mentioned it earlier, I made a correction to my registry, added that
    cleaning option in the Advanced, used this and that, but, for whatever
    reason, files are not removed in the Temporary folder... They continue to
    accumulate. The only way to remove them is to run Windows Local Disk Tools.
    I'm at the end of my rope...
    Thanks for your help.

    > "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks again for the detailed instructions! I appreciate your help.
    >
    > You are welcome.
    >
    > --
    > (tm)

    "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Well, Thorsten, Ron and all other who may be reading this thread...
    >As I mentioned it earlier, I made a correction to my registry, added that
    >cleaning option in the Advanced, used this and that, but, for whatever
    >reason, files are not removed in the Temporary folder... They continue to
    >accumulate. The only way to remove them is to run Windows Local Disk Tools.
    >I'm at the end of my rope...
    >Thanks for your help.
    >Ilya

    Are you getting crashes with Internet Explorer? Those will result in
    files being left in the t.i.f.?

    Are you shutting down the computer without first closing Internet
    Explorer? Also are you using File - Close or just clicking on the x
    in the upper right corner of the I.E. window to close it? That may be
    a factor as well.

    > "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Well, Thorsten, Ron and all other who may be reading this thread...
    >>As I mentioned it earlier, I made a correction to my registry, added that
    >>cleaning option in the Advanced, used this and that, but, for whatever
    >>reason, files are not removed in the Temporary folder... They continue to
    >>accumulate. The only way to remove them is to run Windows Local Disk
    >>Tools.
    >>I'm at the end of my rope...
    >>Thanks for your help.
    >>Ilya
    >>

    > Are you getting crashes with Internet Explorer? Those will result in
    > files being left in the t.i.f.?
    No crashes so far, thanks God!

    > Are you shutting down the computer without first closing Internet
    > Explorer?
    I do it both ways. Sometimes, I close by Start > Turn off, other times,
    I close each window manually. Actually, it depends on how many windows are
    open at the moment...

    Also are you using File - Close or just clicking on the x
    > in the upper right corner of the I.E. window to close it?
    Most of the times, I click X. But I promise you to try the "standard"
    way of closing via File > Exit.
    Thanks again for suggestions.
    Ilya

    That may be