Temporary Internet Files

May 17, 2005 6:07:32 PM

Recently, I looked in my Temporary Internet Files Folder and was surprised
to see over 27 000 files there. How come they accumulate? Aren't they
suppose to be deleted on turn off? Looks like there are hundreds of cookies,
too. How to clean this folder safely?
Any suggestion will be appreciated.
--
Ilya Zeldes
Fort Myers, Florida

"ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Recently, I looked in my Temporary Internet Files Folder and was surprised
>to see over 27 000 files there. How come they accumulate? Aren't they
>suppose to be deleted on turn off? Looks like there are hundreds of cookies,
>too. How to clean this folder safely?

You can wipe the data manually from the folder or via the Internet
Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Delete Files / Delete Cookies.
The data is erased automatically if you tick the corresponding option
in the Internet Options > Advanced > Security.

--
(tm)
Anonymous

Thanks, Thorsten. Sure it does erase everything. Once I tried it and after
that had to restore manually all the automatic accesses to a dozen of
sites - banks, mail, subscriptions, etc. I hope there is some way to remove
the really temporary stuff and keep the cookies and other important files.
Ilya
"Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
> "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Recently, I looked in my Temporary Internet Files Folder and was surprised
>>to see over 27 000 files there. How come they accumulate? Aren't they
>>suppose to be deleted on turn off? Looks like there are hundreds of
>>cookies,
>>too. How to clean this folder safely?
>
> You can wipe the data manually from the folder or via the Internet
> Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Delete Files / Delete Cookies.
> The data is erased automatically if you tick the corresponding option
> in the Internet Options > Advanced > Security.
>
> --
> (tm)
May 18, 2005 5:54:48 PM

"ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks, Thorsten. Sure it does erase everything. Once I tried it and after
>that had to restore manually all the automatic accesses to a dozen of
>sites - banks, mail, subscriptions, etc. I hope there is some way to remove
>the really temporary stuff and keep the cookies and other important files.

No. The Cookies, however, are deleted seperately and so you can empty
the Internet cache ("Delete Files") without deleting the Cookies.
You cannot make Cookies permanent, so that they are not deleted when
you wipe all the data. You have to erase all unwanted Cookies manually
for to do this.
Check if a Password keeper is helpful for you. You can then logon to
your password protected sites on an easy way and store the login data
in a safe manner.

--
(tm)
Anonymous

Thanks again for the detailed instructions! I appreciate your help.
news:o nGZjB6WFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Thanks, Thorsten. Sure it does erase everything. Once I tried it and after
>>that had to restore manually all the automatic accesses to a dozen of
>>sites - banks, mail, subscriptions, etc. I hope there is some way to
>>remove
>>the really temporary stuff and keep the cookies and other important files.
>
> No. The Cookies, however, are deleted seperately and so you can empty
> the Internet cache ("Delete Files") without deleting the Cookies.
> You cannot make Cookies permanent, so that they are not deleted when
> you wipe all the data. You have to erase all unwanted Cookies manually
> for to do this.
> Check if a Password keeper is helpful for you. You can then logon to
> your password protected sites on an easy way and store the login data
> in a safe manner.
>
> --
> (tm)
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 10:39:12 PM

"ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks again for the detailed instructions! I appreciate your help.
>Ilya

One additional suggestion. If you have a high-speed Internet
connection then you should go into Control Panel - Internet Options
and click on the Advanced tab. Scroll down the list to the Security
section (near the bottom) and click on the checkbox for "delete
temporary internet files when browser is closed" to select it, then
click on Apply and OK as needed to exit.

You can also do this if you have a dial-up connection, of course, but
I do not personally recommend this because the t.i.f. does have some
performance value on dial-up connections.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 1:24:24 AM

"ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks again for the detailed instructions! I appreciate your help.

You are welcome.

--
(tm)
Anonymous

Ron, thanks for the suggestion. However, I checked the Security and all
other sections, but there is no "delete temporary files" option. Sure, it
would be exactly, what I want ;)
Ilya
news:p p2n81t6c8m7ii3id4hddkk5jkjj1apm8q@4ax.com...
> "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Thanks again for the detailed instructions! I appreciate your help.
>>Ilya
>
> One additional suggestion. If you have a high-speed Internet
> connection then you should go into Control Panel - Internet Options
> and click on the Advanced tab. Scroll down the list to the Security
> section (near the bottom) and click on the checkbox for "delete
> temporary internet files when browser is closed" to select it, then
> click on Apply and OK as needed to exit.
>
> You can also do this if you have a dial-up connection, of course, but
> I do not personally recommend this because the t.i.f. does have some
> performance value on dial-up connections.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 1:45:19 AM

I believe what you are looking for is on the General tab of Internet
Options.
It is the "Delete Files" button to the right of "Delete Cookies."

ilyaz wrote:
> Ron, thanks for the suggestion. However, I checked the Security and
> all other sections, but there is no "delete temporary files" option.
> Sure, it would be exactly, what I want ;)
> Ilya
> "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:p p2n81t6c8m7ii3id4hddkk5jkjj1apm8q@4ax.com...
>> "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks again for the detailed instructions! I appreciate your help.
>>> Ilya
>>
>> One additional suggestion. If you have a high-speed Internet
>> connection then you should go into Control Panel - Internet Options
>> and click on the Advanced tab. Scroll down the list to the Security
>> section (near the bottom) and click on the checkbox for "delete
>> temporary internet files when browser is closed" to select it, then
>> click on Apply and OK as needed to exit.
>>
>> You can also do this if you have a dial-up connection, of course, but
>> I do not personally recommend this because the t.i.f. does have some
>> performance value on dial-up connections.
>>
>> Good luck
>>

>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>> --
>> Microsoft MVP
>> On-Line Help Computer Service
>> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>>
>> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 11:00:02 PM

"ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Ron, thanks for the suggestion. However, I checked the Security and all
>other sections, but there is no "delete temporary files" option. Sure, it
>would be exactly, what I want ;)
>Ilya

Okay, My bad. The exact wording of the item is "Empty Temporary
Internet Files folder when browser is closed".

It should the 8th item listed after the Security header, right below
the item that reads "Do not save encrypted files to disk".

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 11:00:03 PM

Ron,
I don't know why, but in my version, the 8th line after Security is <Enable
Integrated Windows Authentication>. And, as I said in my previous post,
nowhere in the Advanced tab (my version) there is anything about removing
temporary internet files... Sorry about this.
Ilya

> "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Ron, thanks for the suggestion. However, I checked the Security and all
>>other sections, but there is no "delete temporary files" option. Sure, it
>>would be exactly, what I want ;)
>>Ilya
>
> Okay, My bad. The exact wording of the item is "Empty Temporary
> Internet Files folder when browser is closed".
>
> It should the 8th item listed after the Security header, right below
> the item that reads "Do not save encrypted files to disk".
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 6:59:44 AM

"ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Ron,
>I don't know why, but in my version, the 8th line after Security is <Enable
>Integrated Windows Authentication>. And, as I said in my previous post,
>nowhere in the Advanced tab (my version) there is anything about removing
>temporary internet files... Sorry about this.
>Ilya
Not a problem. Your 8th line is #9 in my version. I will check with
some of the real experts in IE and find out what is going on.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 11:18:44 AM

Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote:

>"ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Ron,
>>I don't know why, but in my version, the 8th line after Security is <Enable
>>Integrated Windows Authentication>. And, as I said in my previous post,
>>nowhere in the Advanced tab (my version) there is anything about removing
>>temporary internet files... Sorry about this.
>>Ilya
>Not a problem. Your 8th line is #9 in my version. I will check with
>some of the real experts in IE and find out what is going on.
>

>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

Here is a fix for it.
Go to http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/persistent.htm and download the
cache.reg file.

Save the file on your computer then right-click on it and choose
Merge.

Thanks to MVPs Ramesh Srinivasan for the fix and Vincenzo Di Russo for
directing me to it.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 6:35:41 PM

Ron,
thanks a lot for your help! I already downloaded it, added to the registry
and checked the box! Now I (and you, too!!!) may relax :)
Ilya

> Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Ron,
>>>I don't know why, but in my version, the 8th line after Security is
>>><Enable
>>>Integrated Windows Authentication>. And, as I said in my previous post,
>>>nowhere in the Advanced tab (my version) there is anything about removing
>>>temporary internet files... Sorry about this.
>>>Ilya
>>Not a problem. Your 8th line is #9 in my version. I will check with
>>some of the real experts in IE and find out what is going on.
>>

>>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>
> Here is a fix for it.
> Go to http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/persistent.htm and download the
> cache.reg file.
>
> Save the file on your computer then right-click on it and choose
> Merge.
>
> Thanks to MVPs Ramesh Srinivasan for the fix and Vincenzo Di Russo for
> directing me to it.
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 3:56:48 PM

Well, Thorsten, Ron and all other who may be reading this thread...
As I mentioned it earlier, I made a correction to my registry, added that
cleaning option in the Advanced, used this and that, but, for whatever
reason, files are not removed in the Temporary folder... They continue to
accumulate. The only way to remove them is to run Windows Local Disk Tools.
I'm at the end of my rope...
Thanks for your help.

news:o BZBy89WFHA.2980@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Thanks again for the detailed instructions! I appreciate your help.
>
> You are welcome.
>
> --
> (tm)
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 11:26:18 PM

"ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Well, Thorsten, Ron and all other who may be reading this thread...
>As I mentioned it earlier, I made a correction to my registry, added that
>cleaning option in the Advanced, used this and that, but, for whatever
>reason, files are not removed in the Temporary folder... They continue to
>accumulate. The only way to remove them is to run Windows Local Disk Tools.
>I'm at the end of my rope...
>Thanks for your help.
>Ilya

Are you getting crashes with Internet Explorer? Those will result in
files being left in the t.i.f.?

Are you shutting down the computer without first closing Internet
Explorer? Also are you using File - Close or just clicking on the x
in the upper right corner of the I.E. window to close it? That may be
a factor as well.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 11:43:10 PM

news:p m2v815pjruc2lmr4jjnl8vaae25amnbb5@4ax.com...
> "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Well, Thorsten, Ron and all other who may be reading this thread...
>>As I mentioned it earlier, I made a correction to my registry, added that
>>cleaning option in the Advanced, used this and that, but, for whatever
>>reason, files are not removed in the Temporary folder... They continue to
>>accumulate. The only way to remove them is to run Windows Local Disk
>>Tools.
>>I'm at the end of my rope...
>>Thanks for your help.
>>Ilya
>>

> Are you getting crashes with Internet Explorer? Those will result in
> files being left in the t.i.f.?
No crashes so far, thanks God!

> Are you shutting down the computer without first closing Internet
> Explorer?
I do it both ways. Sometimes, I close by Start > Turn off, other times,
I close each window manually. Actually, it depends on how many windows are
open at the moment...

Also are you using File - Close or just clicking on the x
> in the upper right corner of the I.E. window to close it?
Most of the times, I click X. But I promise you to try the "standard"
way of closing via File > Exit.
Thanks again for suggestions.
Ilya

That may be